Author Topic: Official: My harrison is a mystery  (Read 7019 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Official: My harrison is a mystery
« on: August 06, 2015, 03:21:15 PM »
I rang the People at Harrison today in the hope of getting hold of a manual for my lathe, at first I was told that they never made a 14" machine which kinda dashed my hopes right from the start. However they said if I emailed a few pictures they would see if they could track it down. A few hours later I got back "None of us recognise the 14" machine, we have no records or manuals for this machine...its a mystery!!".
So I have contacted tony from lathes.co.uk and hopefully he will be able to help.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline Pete.

Re: Official: My harrison is a mystery
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:33:47 PM »
Odd looking machine. Sure it wasn't home made - built by Harry's Son? :D

Funny to see a saddle wing that's thinner than the cross slide.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »
Looking at the various features and shapes,headstock,saddle,cross slide etc. it looks very much like an early Harrison to me.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline trapper

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »
Lucky you, sounds like you have a rare lathe,unless it has add ons from another lathe,or it could be a custom made lathe they done this sort of things for customers during the war,unlikely but possible.Look forward to find out the outcome and what Tony thinks,could be one for the archive

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 04:41:41 AM »
Hi there, Shipto,

Mysteries can be fascinating, frustrating or both!  I hope that you can continue to identify your lathe.  The search might reveal all sorts of history!!!

Full marks on your cleaning-up job so far.

Do you have enough accessories and tooling to be able to use the machine to make things? 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2015, 04:47:09 AM »
I think the 14 could be a red hearing? It looks like an early L4?
Once in hole stop digging.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2015, 03:15:11 PM »
Hi there, Shipto,

Mysteries can be fascinating, frustrating or both!  I hope that you can continue to identify your lathe.  The search might reveal all sorts of history!!!

Full marks on your cleaning-up job so far.

Do you have enough accessories and tooling to be able to use the machine to make things?
Its more intreging than anything else. The main reason I want a manual is to tell me about the gearing and save me having to count teeth. There is a seperate output next to the main shaft which I think was used to run the suds pump but it could come in handy to run other stuff, like gear making equipment.
Yes there is a 10" faceplate, a 8" 4 jaw chuck and a ropey 3 jaw which isnt a lot of use each jaw has multiple marks for jaw positions maybe one set for the external and one for the internal I havent had time to figure out if its capable of running true yet but I kinda doubt it.

I think the 14 could be a red hearing? It looks like an early L4?
maybe but cant find any info about that either only L2 and L5 are mentioned on lathes site though I am sure they would have done L3's and L4's seems strange to jump the 2 numbers.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2015, 07:07:58 PM »
Shipto,I also think Swarfing makes a very good suggestion about it being an L4. I have seen others make the error of identifying L5's as a 15.

There is a forum group specifically for Harrison lathes,are you aware of its existence?.

Just had another skeet at the photo and the headstock top cover looks the same as an early L5.....OZ

Edit to add: Here is the link to the Yahoo Harrison lathe group,they do have quite an extensive photo gallery.

Just another thought, if you measure from the centre of the chuck to the closest swing point on the bed does it look like you could swing a piece of stock 7" radius?

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2015, 08:47:26 PM »
Already joined the Harrison group even started a album there.
Yes it can easily swing 7" radius over the bed and 24" in the gap 3' plus a bit between centres 2" through the head all in all its a pretty impressive machine. I put a thread cutter on it today and tested out the threading and all the ones I chose looked good on the thread gauges, I was a bit worried as the cog on the end of the leadscrew looks a little worn so if I can sort out gear making thats probably the first one I will try and replace.
my first job however is to sort out the top slide there is way too much play for comfort and it has a few tight spots.
On the downside its a really noisy machine when you have the leadscrew gears engaged but I read that this is normal for old Harrisons.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2015, 09:53:43 PM »
Now you've given me those figures I can see why this is a bit of an odd one.

Don't recall any of the early Harrisons having 2" through the spindle. It does seem to be a 'special' that you have....OZ

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2015, 10:38:21 PM »
I think it's cool to have something unique like that.  :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline RussellT

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »
Hi Wayne

I thought the layout of everything looked the same as the Harrison 14 inch on lathes.co.uk - the other specs seem to match - like 36" between centres 2" bore etc.

You might be lucky and find the gearing etc is the same.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2015, 11:28:07 AM »
Wayne, PM sent to your inbox about damaged gear. Some info there that might be of use to you.....OZ.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 04:37:52 PM »
Hi Wayne

I thought the layout of everything looked the same as the Harrison 14 inch on lathes.co.uk - the other specs seem to match - like 36" between centres 2" bore etc.

You might be lucky and find the gearing etc is the same.

Russell
Yes I agree, I am still waiting for tony from lathes.co.uk to get back to me but i think that ordering the manual for that 14 is a good bet.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 03:11:57 PM »
Well I have completed my first job with the lathe (well second if you count mounting my chuck onto the lathe which was a bit of a mission)
I have sorted out the horrible backlash on the top slide Started of by making a new handwheel for it and bored the existing wheel so it slides over the new one. It now allows me to set the dial, I am rather pleased with it even if its a bit on the chunky side.
After that I stripped it down and cleaned it all up before putting it all back together and fitting the new handwheel and was pleased to find the backlash is down to 5 thou now  :D I can live with that.

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 03:16:03 PM »
Well done. I love the wood screw in the original  :clap:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 03:21:23 PM »
Well done. I love the wood screw in the original  :clap:
I put that in because the rusty nail fell out.  :lol: