Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Screwcutting drop in dial revisited

<< < (2/3) > >>

jemglen:
Great job John, and an interesting insight into the different uses of knurling.

Your explanation and pics were a joy as always. Wish I had: a. your skill, b. devotion to the job, c. imagination to come up with so many enjoyable projects  :bow:

Jerry

bogstandard:
Thank you gents for the kind words.

Unfortunately that will be it on projects for a while. I have some work come in over the last few days, and one of them is a rather large project in itself. See attached pics.

It was made sometime in the late 60's by an old model engineer, who has been a long time pushing up daisies. A Marcher slide valve engine, and has been used and abused for the last few years. I am having to give it a good dose of looking at, make a few replacement parts, and get it retimed in so it will last for another 40 years.

Not one to be shown as project material, as it will take all my time sorting it out.

John

Just a bit about my knurl quote. :hammer:

--- Quote ---straight knurls for tightening & undoing, diamond pattern for gripping
--- End quote ---

What I said isn't a hard and fast rule, just one that is generally accepted. You do things as you see fit, with the tooling you have to hand. :thumbup:

I can just imagine everyone rushing out to buy straight knurls, all because I said it was the way to do it.

As I have said before, the way how I show it is my way, you might have different solutions.

sbwhart:
Thats an interesting engine John I'll have a look at that next time I'm round

Stew

Divided he ad:

--- Quote ---one of them is a rather large project in itself
--- End quote ---
.... Looks tiny!!   :lol:     :doh: 

I thought from your description of the engine it was going to be complex and full of intricate parts....  :jaw:    :) 

A few pics....? No need for a major write up John.... Just a before (you've done that above) a middle (in bits) and an end (soon to be loverly and shiny ehh?)

Would that be a possibility?   :thumbup:

Looks like you might be a little busy..... But I'm still going to aim for a week day off soon, see if I can't get you to that scrappy   :)

Ralph.

bogstandard:
Ralph,

Externally maybe, but inside has a lot more going on as well.

No bling on this one required, just a clean down. It should look exactly the same on the outside as it does now.

We will see.

Just hope the scrappies hasn't had a clean out just before you come.

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version