Author Topic: To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu; that is the question.  (Read 71948 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Re: To Ubuntu or not to Ubuntu; that is the question.
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2014, 11:49:35 AM »
Philf - The Vectric stuff can be run using wine software on Linux as can family tree maker. There are some very very powerful Linux based photo editing softwares so photoshop wouldn't be needed. The issue is auto cad which I believe is not supported in Linux and I expect would grind a windows compatibility layer like wine to a halt.

Admittedly, it's a little like windows or mac - you are your choice and then stick with the software available. I do honestly believe that UNIX will continue to grow. If you have an old pc, wack Ubuntu, Debian, mint...on and have a play - it's free!!

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
Just one final point, I had an old laptop rusting away in the back of a cupboard. It would boot, if it did ran slow and in ancient and was only fit for the bin. I'd only not binned it because I wanted to remove the harddrive and destroy but had been too lazy. I've installed Linux on it (Debian and granted Ubuntu may have been a better choice) for my daughter, and she now has a fully working laptop on her desk!!  :smart:

Offline philf

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »
Philf - The Vectric stuff can be run using wine software on Linux as can family tree maker. There are some very very powerful Linux based photo editing softwares so photoshop wouldn't be needed. The issue is auto cad which I believe is not supported in Linux and I expect would grind a windows compatibility layer like wine to a halt.

Admittedly, it's a little like windows or mac - you are your choice and then stick with the software available. I do honestly believe that UNIX will continue to grow. If you have an old pc, wack Ubuntu, Debian, mint...on and have a play - it's free!!

Thanks Chris,

I might have a play on my old (2002) laptop.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
Be very careful  Phil, I got stung unintentionally buying forged Win7 Pro a few months back
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2014, 12:40:49 PM »
. The issue is auto cad which I believe is not supported in Linux and I expect would grind a windows compatibility layer like wine to a halt.

I thought that Auto Cad will run under Linux using wine. An old version of Auto Cad anyway!

Regards, Matthew

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2014, 03:04:39 PM »

I use "Qcad" and "Draftcad" in Linux both are free !

Best Regards:
                     Baron

Offline philf

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2014, 03:22:47 PM »
I use "Qcad" and "Draftcad" in Linux both are free !

Hi Baron,

I have used Autocad for too many years and have many customisations to suit my way of working. I don't really want to start over again even if the packages run under linux are free.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline philf

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2014, 03:30:12 PM »
Be very careful  Phil, I got stung unintentionally buying forged Win7 Pro a few months back
Thanks Andrew,

It might be cheaper for me to buy an old desktop with a Windows 7 sticker on it.

When I was in work we used Dell PCs and laptops and they all came with XP Pro installed. The IT department reloaded their own XP build using a corporate license so all the licenses on the PCs were never registered. I used the key off the sticker on my work PC to register XP Pro on my Mach3 PC.

I bet they've done the same with Windows 7.

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2014, 07:54:55 AM »
Whilst I cannot condone software piracy (paid-for software is how I make my living....), there are allegedly ways around the Windows 7 licence...
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline DavidA

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2014, 07:58:13 AM »
I found that my copy of Vista worked ok using the key that came with it until I downloaded and installed the updates. Then it wouldn't accept the same key.
Also it produced a little note saying that it wasn't a genuine MS copy.

I suppose I could just format the drive and re-install,  not worrying about the updates.
But I'm going to give Linux a try.

Dave

By the way,  it was sold to me as a genuine MS item. 

Offline gmac

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2014, 01:44:40 PM »
Where the issue is CAD and Linux, Draftsight has two linux versions - one for Fedora and one for Ubuntu. It may be the solution for those used to AutoCad because Draftsight is said to be very similar to AutoCad LT;

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/download-draftsight/

Cheers Garry

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
I think the problem is that Phil has added customised bits to Autocad, as indeed I did when I used it regularly. It's so long ago now I forget the name of the obscure but C like language that is / was embedded.  :bang: I used to use version 2.4 under DOS !!!!!!!!!!

ah ha - quick googling reminds me that it's LISP  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:09 PM »
Where the issue is CAD and Linux, Draftsight has two linux versions - one for Fedora and one for Ubuntu. It may be the solution for those used to AutoCad because Draftsight is said to be very similar to AutoCad LT;

http://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight/download-draftsight/

Cheers Garry
Draft sight works well using a 32bit system, it needs recompileing to run on 64bits. This was beyond me!

Regards, Matthew

Offline DaveH

• Kempton Park, South Africa
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2014, 08:27:49 PM »
Apologies for the hi-jack, I know there is no support for Windows XP but is it still possible to purchase Windows XP.?
 :beer:
DaveH   
(Ex Leicester, Thurmaston, Ashby De La Zouch.)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 12:18:32 AM »
On ebay there are several sellers with genuine products so I guess you could though why you would want to ?
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2014, 02:31:06 AM »
On ebay there are several sellers with genuine products so I guess you could though why you would want to ?
Pete

Pete.
I know my XP.
It works very well for me.
I'm too old to go changing/ learning something else new.

I hope my present system lasts me out........  :thumbup:

There must be many people think as I do...... Mebbe!

David D
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 03:51:00 AM by Stilldrillin »
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline DaveH

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »
Like David D XP works well for what I use it for, plus my cnc mill uses Mach3. 
I just prefer to carry on using XP - it is just my preference that's all.

I would like to buy a proper legal new XP and I was just wondering if it is still available to purchase. If it is not available to purchase then I will find away. :thumbup:
DaveH

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2014, 09:36:54 AM »
Dave.
Lots of XP's available on Ebay. The legal ones, just as legal as pirate ones, now........ I believe.

No1 son cleaned out my  laptop, and installed my third, (over the  years), XP setup, just before Christmas. Pirate, from Ebay.
Must have been cheap, as he didn't ask for payment.

Happy.  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2014, 10:15:59 AM »
I fully understand you not wanting to change! Microsoft make you pay to have a system that keeps you tied into paying to have another system that is open to viruses and which you have little control over what you do with it. It upgrades and adds things with out you consent. All this you pay for!

Regards, Matthew

Offline DaveH

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 12:04:23 PM »
Thanks David  :thumbup:

Matt, I agree with what you say and believe me I'm no fan of Microsoft.

I would have thought by now computers should just work as bought.

I did try Linux many years ago - Ubuntu, didn't really get to grips with it.
DaveH

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #45 on: April 17, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
I don't think Microsoft really care about XP any more. From what I can tell, if you can get XP installed using a key - whether it be a real valid one, or one you "found" somewhere; it will activate just fine.

Of course, there's likely to come a time when the old activation website disappears, and after that date no XP installation will activate.

TBH, I am finding that Windows 7 is growing on me - although some of the thing it does I still find incredibly stupid and annoying - the irony is it's just had a bit of an epi fit so I'm writing this on my XP machine!
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline superc

« Reply #46 on: April 17, 2014, 02:14:04 PM »
If you liked DOS, you will love Linux.  Check around there are flavors other than Ubutu.  Suse, Red Hat, etc.   Nothing like the joy of a black screen and a blinking cursor waiting for you to guess what string to type.  Not as bad as the MS blue screen of death, but amazingly close sometimes.

There are really several really annoying aspects to MS's decision to terminate XP support.   Maybe a silver lining somewhere down the road like there was for those who did  and still do hang out in the Win 98 world if MS releases the XP source code.

I really hated doing the switch to XP from 98.  Hung in there and ignored Windows ME.  But finally went XP just in time for SP2.  Years later I am still on XP.  Got my machine tweaked perfectly.  Spouses machine runs Vista.  Four years ago I bought 7.  Can't tell you how sad I am to learn this useless 7 CD won't install on an original XP machine.  I need new video cards and all that.  MS advise, buy a new machine (and maybe 8 too).  Pfui to that. 

If you are running XP and it isn't running right and it isn't about not enough RAM I truly like Reimage Repair.  Biggest issue I would see with doing that would be getting the no longer available from MS security updates into the machine after the Reimage Repair.  I'd talk voice to one of their support people first before doing that.  Pretty sure they probably worked out a solution by now.  My suspicion is you have services running that you don't need, or a registry issue, or some hidden malware somewhere.  AVG, SuperAntiSpyware, JV16, etc may help you find the problem.  In the meanwhile go into Start  - Accessories - System Tools - System Information - Tools - File Signature Verification Utility.   Insert the original XP installation disk into your CD reader.  Close the screen that comes up.  Now run the System File Verification Program.  Could be some of your system files picked up a lil corruption over the last decade.  SVF will catch and replace them with originals from your CD.  You can also do the same thing with a freeware program called Dial a Fix available from http://wiki.lunarsoft.net/wiki/Dial-a-fix but only for XP or 98.  Use the tools feature of dial a fix and purge the sfc files, then run the checker.  Should take about 20 minutes.  Then reboot.

I've got got SUSE hidden on this hard drive as an alternate boot in case of MS problems, but have to acknowledge I have my XP so nicely tuned that it's been at least 6 years since I needed it.

Biggest problem I had with Linux was many of my plug and play peripherals (including my modems(!?!)) wouldn't run with it.  Check that issue out before installing.  Nothing worse than having a working machine that can't go on-line.

I am going to hang XP at least until MS releases their Win 9.  I have played with 7 and 8.1 machines and I am not impressed. 

Offline CrazyModder

« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2014, 03:14:58 PM »
As far as I'm concerned, 7 is today what XP has been when 7 came out. That is, rock solid, reasonably quick, and just perfectly fine if you want to stay in the Windows world (2GB RAM might be useful though :) ).

I've skipped Vista and 8 - it seems like every second version of Windows seems to be just fine, and every second one in between totally crap.  :bang:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 03:35:53 PM »
My choice would have been to stay with Windows 2000 professional - I found it the most stable running several pcs in a network. But as time went by more and more new software wouldn't run under it and thus I was forced into Win7, but some of the Panasonic Toughbook laptops I run in the workshop won't run Win7. It gets my goat that this 'progress' is really built in obsolescence.

Bring back CP/M that what I say :)
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline BaronJ

• Grumpy Old Git !
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2014, 03:19:54 PM »
Hi All,

You windows lot can keep it :lol: 

I'll stick with Linux !  No worms, virus, trojan's etc.   No hardware issues, even the live CD's talk to your router and let you surf the internet.  Printers, I'm still running my old, very old, 30+ years old HP Deskjet 500 and my Cannon scanner.  The list goes on and on.  Linux just works.
Even Microsoft run Linux internally.

What most people don't realise is that in some form or other they have been running Linux for quite some time !  Dare I mention set top boxes for digital TV, DVD recorders, Sat navs...  Not to mention Android tablet computers or Apple machines.  One based on Linux and the other based on a Unix.  Indecently the Internet is based on Unix.

People tend not to like change but if you get pushed to Win 8 its quite a different beast.

Having said that, Linux is not for everyone.  Six of one, half a dozen of the other.  :coffee:
Best Regards:
                     Baron