Author Topic: Band Saw--- Dust Extraction  (Read 3240 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Band Saw--- Dust Extraction
« on: April 05, 2014, 05:25:38 AM »
Hi Guys

For some time now I have been meaning to add dust extraction to the band saw, when in the middle of projects it always seems to take a low priority.  Due to a cold rainy start to the year, I have been forced to work inside, and have been sharing the shed with the band saw, and have had to use it with the door closed. Dust extraction suddenly shot up to to top of the to do list.
                   I had an idea what I  wanted to do, but had been looking out for a suitable can from the pantry. This recently arrived after a long awaited marmalade making session by the guvnor.  Pic. 1 showing the can exactly the correct 135 dia. to fit the band saw dust outlet.  Pic. 2&3 a hole cut in the bottom of the can next to the side, to fit the 40mm nozzle of the vacuum cleaner.  Pic. 4 before assembly.  Pic. 5 all connected and ready to go.
                    A quick and very satisfactory fix.  Wish all my jobs were that easy.        Cheers David

Offline caskwith

Re: Band Saw--- Dust Extraction
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:10:12 AM »
I have a bandsaw with dust extraction attachment in the same location as yours, do you find it to work satisfactorily? Reason I aks is that even with it connected via 4" hose to my large dust extractor I still find a lot of dust escapes from under the table area as the casing is not exactly air tight. I just gave up and run around the saw with the shop vac every few weeks.

Offline superc

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 11:55:00 AM »
For what it is worth, after every cutting job, I always open up my saw and vacuum the insides.  Especially if I have been cutting aluminum.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 09:04:31 AM »
Hi Guys

Thanks for your comments, I do find the dust extractor a big improvement over having no extractor, but I agree it is not 100%.  Some dust does escape beneath the table, and once dust gets into the bottom of the machine becomes trapped in the many crevices and corners. Some sort of collector immediately beneath the table, like a funnel surrounding the blade, and connected directly to a normal vacuum cleaner hose would be much better.  When wood turning on the lathe, I wire a vacuum hose to the tool post, pointing to the lathe cutting tool, and have found this to be very effective with a very high percentage of dust collection.
                                                                  Cheers David