Author Topic: Still Trying  (Read 14862 times)

Offline SteveM

Still Trying
« on: March 12, 2014, 08:49:01 PM »
Came into this with ZERO experience 2.5 yrs ago. I'm as fascinated as ever and find a new way to mess up EVERY time I step up to the plate. Have finally accepted that as the "price of progress". Best wishes to all:)

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Re: Still Trying
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2014, 09:53:15 PM »
Came into this with ZERO experience 2.5 yrs ago. I'm as fascinated as ever and find a new way to mess up EVERY time I step up to the plate. Have finally accepted that as the "price of progress". Best wishes to all:)

Steve

I know that you haven't made many posts but it sounds like you have been having lots of fun working with the equipment that you have. Share with us what you have been up to and perhaps someone can suggest an alternate strategy.

Every one on the forum started out with zero experience. We all keep picking away at our own pace and depending on our desires and patience we learn how to remove all the metal that isn't required for the part that we're making.

If you have any questions just ask as there is always someone around to answer or at least give an opinion.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 04:34:40 PM »
Steve.

Ive been doing this caper for 35 years as a career & Hobby, two Saturday's ago i spent 9 hours on a piece only to snap the slitting saw blade in it, started over again this time i machined it a different way in half the time all was pukker. Last night a new job i snapped a tap off.*&^%$%$#.

Moral is ..... There are Ten ways to skin a cat,  It takes 3 seconds to ruin it, hours of exact work is rewarded by a lifetime appreciating what went into it.

I'm still smiling   :wave:       Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
As long as you're not making the SAME mistake each time, you are improving.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:57 PM »
***Came into this with ZERO experience 2.5 yrs ago***
Same as me Steve, the amount of cockups i make you just would not beleive :doh: but i love it,,,,
i was cutting some steel the other day on the mill when it suddenly hit me...i have measured from
the bottom of the lump of metal turned it over and milled the wrong edge :doh: :loco: tis only
a lump of steel. when pension day comes around i can buy another lump :dremel:
 I must admit i have not made very much apart from tools to do the jobs i have not yet done :loco:
stay with it mate.   Lyn.

Offline SteveM

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. It is getting easier although I still need multiple attempts far to often:) My tool grinding has definitely improved and I have upgraded to at 9x49 Shop Fox mill with DRO and very slightly used 12x36 lathe. I recently made an offer(accepted) on a small acreage which includes a 30x60 ft shop for my retirement putzing so I look forward to spending more time in the shop in the next couple years.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2014, 03:48:16 PM »
Hi there, SteveM,

SNIP

I recently made an offer(accepted) on a small acreage which includes a 30x60 ft shop for my retirement putzing so I look forward to spending more time in the shop in the next couple years.

Wow, 30 x 60 feet!   The stuff that dreams are made of.   :bugeye:   :bugeye:   :bugeye: 

Our entire back yard is about the same area as that and my workshop is a mere 12' x 8' (outside measurements).   :bang:   :bang:   :bang: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 09:53:49 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement. It is getting easier although I still need multiple attempts far to often:) My tool grinding has definitely improved and I have upgraded to at 9x49 Shop Fox mill with DRO and very slightly used 12x36 lathe. I recently made an offer(accepted) on a small acreage which includes a 30x60 ft shop for my retirement putzing so I look forward to spending more time in the shop in the next couple years.
I've been at it for nearly 40 years and I still learn something new most every day(and I still make mistakes) :doh:
Those who never make any mistakes rarely make anything at all.

Only through practice and nothing else does experience come.....OZ
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mechman48

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 04:37:49 AM »
Welcome Steve  :wave:

30x60 ft. shop..  :bugeye:  :bugeye: 1800 sq. ft. ! bleedin' 'ell that's near enough the square footage of my bungalow. Been in the engineering game all my life & since retirement & getting involved with Model Eng. am STILL learning, asking questions & yes, still making mistakes   :doh:  you never stop so don't give up, just enjoy  :headbang:

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline SteveM

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 05:02:06 PM »
Actually it turned out to be 30x60 This is from last summer.

This is from a few days ago.

And this is a top opening lateral file. I have two which match and they'll be end pieces with 12x12in cubbies behind for stock storage and a 12ft 30in deep work bench for clean work.[/URL][/img]

Offline SteveM

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 05:04:51 PM »
Here's the current shop.
And another 

Offline sparky961

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 05:24:10 PM »
Man, you must be pretty short to need that step-stool to use your mill.  :poke:

Don't mind me.  Blame it on space envy.

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 05:58:23 AM »
 :jaw: Nice shop!!

Kjelle

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 07:06:11 AM »
WHAT! you can see the floor :D

I'm thinking a HWS, but municipal planning is not having it.

Pekka

Offline DavidA

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 07:48:48 AM »
...WHAT! you can see the floor ..

Don't worry.  All his stuff is probably stacked up to the roof behind the camera.

Dave.