Author Topic: Worksop Sprays  (Read 5528 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Worksop Sprays
« on: February 09, 2014, 03:14:06 AM »
Hi Guys
            There are times in the workshop,especially when I am on a roll, that the things I immediately want are never at hand. There are many things that fall into that category, but on this particular day it was one of the solvents that I frequently use, meths. I had spilled a small amount of french polish on my vernier caliper, and it was nearly dry. I hunted all over the workshop to no avail, then suddenly remembered I had last used it in the garage. Oh no! it was during one of the worst storms we have had, I snatched my keys off the kitchen hook and rushed out into the storm. I have a Yale lock on my garage and quickly inserted the  key it began to turn then began to bend O.M.G. I carefully managed to extract it, and rushed back into the workshop. By this time I was soaked, and fuming, and swore from then on to ensure I had a dedicated supply of all solvents and lubricants at hand, that I normally use in the workshop.

Searching around the house I discovered a number of products using re usable spray containers, ideal for my project.
  I use soluble cutting oil on some machining applications, but don't like to flood my machines with it, and find a gentle spray when required doe the trick.

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Worksop Sprays
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:23:33 AM »
The next solvent I use is Turps, mainly for general machine and tool cleaning, thinning pain , removing paint splashes. I also use it as a cutting fluid when machining aluminium.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:27:43 AM »

Turps and engine oil I use for surface protection, and fine lubrication, a spray of turps /oil can access awkward places.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 03:30:02 AM »

Water most often used for cooling tools when grinding.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 03:31:56 AM »

Meths  as a solvent, and general cleaning

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 03:33:50 AM »

Well there there we have it, the famous five.

Cheers David

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 03:49:49 AM »
I bought several of those hand trigger sprays from the local garden centre. I keep meths, acetone, white spirit, carburetter cleaner, water with soap (air leaks), and Plus Gas, with another with soluble oil by the manual lathe. One shelf of my storage area is supposed to be dedicated to them, and along with various  oils, but it's now overflowed to a second  :bugeye:

:lol: And what did your wife say when you dumped all her beauty products to get the bottles  :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline dawesy

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 04:02:28 AM »
good tip, i like it.
with the trigger, garden centre typ you just need to watch what goes into them as some chemicals damage the pump seals and stop it from working.
Lee.
wishing my workshop was larger :(

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2014, 08:42:07 AM »
Andrew
  I got away sneakily with one or two but my wife eventually caught up with me, which limited me to the famous five. I now have to wait until spray containers are discarded before they become workshop property.

Cheers David

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2014, 01:47:55 PM »
Hi dawesy

Thanks for your comments.

Cheers David

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2014, 03:55:00 PM »
good tip, i like it.
with the trigger, garden centre typ you just need to watch what goes into them as some chemicals damage the pump seals and stop it from working.

That is exactly what happened to my pump action garden sprayer when using brake cleaner solvent.
It lasted about a week before the pump seal expired so now I'm looking to replace it with a pump up pneumatic type instead....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up