Author Topic: A new era for Electric Bike racing on the Isle of Man  (Read 15997 times)

Offline Manxmodder

A new era for Electric Bike racing on the Isle of Man
« on: February 09, 2014, 10:08:11 PM »
 As some of you will already know the Isle of Man TT has become famous in recent years for it's efforts in promoting and developing electric powered road racing as a viable form of motorsport in its own right.
 :clap:

This has brought about the addition of the TT Zero race class being included as regular event on the
 TT week  schedule.

:zap:
Another exciting announcement has been made this weekend heralding the dawn of a new era in electric motorcycle racing that the 2014 Isle of Man southern 100 club road races will be staging the first road race to see electric powered race bikes compete directly in the same class as those powered by internal combustion engines.(see news links for full schedule of races to be contested this season)

Click on Links to news stories below:
http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=69584

http://www.bikesportnews.com/news-detail.cfm?newstitle=Electric-bikes-to-compete-at-Southern-100,-Classic-TT-and-Manx-GP&newsid=11192

More to come on this subject later.....OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline Manxmodder

Re: A new era for Electric Bike racing on the Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 05:23:49 PM »
Another interesting news development that has broke cover in the last couple of days is the announcement by the Mugen Shinden team of their entry into this tears TT Zero race.

Top riders John McGuinness and Bruce Anstey will both be riding what are described as significantly redesigned and faster Mugen electric race bikes in comparison to the version they raced here last year.

In last years event McGuinness recorded an average lap speed of over 109 mph to take second place on the rostrum with Michael Rutter beating him by a couple of seconds margin, Rutter was riding a Team Moto Czysz bike.

Neither of them managed to break the magical 100 mph lap average,though interestingly,McGuinness was averaging about 115mph at the 3/4 race distance mark.

McGuinness had made the decision to back of the throttle at the 3/4 distance to conserve battery energy,which he felt may be running low and could possibly put his chance of finishing at risk if he had continued to push  at the earlier pace.

As it turned out on post race inspection of his bike he had miscalculated and did in fact have sufficient battery energy in reserve and could have kept the pace considerably higher with the likelihood of a race win and probably a 100 mph lap record.

Looking forward to this year and the expected improvements in motor and battery technology we could realistically be looking at a lap record speed in the 115mph territory,that is about the same level as a top flight 600cc sidecar outfit currently achieves.

All of this speculation is of course dependent on weather conditions,if there are any damp patches anywhere on the course then race speeds will be slowed down somewhat........OZ.
Link to TT press release here: http://www.iomtt.com/News/2014/February/10/Anstey-Mugen-2014.aspx

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 05:36:25 PM »
I can not find any news or recent press release from or about MotoCzysz indicating what their intentions are for the TT Zero 2014 event.

I do recall news after last years TT event that team boss Michael Czysz was unwell and undergoing medical treatment,but nothing since. Link to Motoczysz site here: http://motoczysz.com/

If any of you guys hear or know any news about the current situation with team Motoczysz then please post it up on this thread.....Cheers, OZ.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 07:48:34 PM »
I was at the Motoczysz website earlier and didn't see anything about the TT. Their electric bike is absolutely gorgeous.

I have been following him when he decided he wanted to build a motoGP bike and was working on the IC version. They did a Documentary back in 07. I watched it back then, need to find it again...

The mission RS is sick looking too

Are they going to race this year? I haven't looked. I can't seem to find a complete roster.

Eric

Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 08:17:13 PM »
Did a bit of work on one of the motors for one of these IoM TT bikes.

The one in question has two motors linked and then drives the wheel.
This is the motor data plate off one

Think that would go well on the Bridgy ?
John Stevenson

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 08:56:57 PM »
Thanks Guys, for the input and please keep the updates coming.

This technology is getting to the really interesting stage where it is emerging from it's fumbling infancy into a really exciting mainstream field where I believe the advance curve is going to get really steep over the next few years.

I also want to make other MadModders aware that Manx Radio TT live race coverage is available online throughout TT race week and covers all races.

Below are a couple of images of the Honda RCE concept which was first shown at the Tokyo Motor show in late 2011.

Honda haven't showed their hand as yet,but they do have a strong developmental partnership with Mugen and I imagine it won't be to long before Honda unveil a top class racer carrying their own badge.

Cheers, OZ.

Offline OzzyRob

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 01:04:19 AM »
I'd never looked at the "dry weight" of the elctric bikes before.....up around the same weight of a ZZR-1100 from the early 90's. Hat's off to the lunatics that can throw them around for that long.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:32:12 AM »
Rob,there are a number of emerging energy storage technologies in the pipeline that will bring far greater energy density vs battery weight,Lithium sulphur batteries being one of the recent ones.

As I said earlier, the whole development curve is about to get very steep indeed and what we may see in 10 years from now could realistically challenge and exceed the internal combustion engine technology performance of the day.

Offline OzzyRob

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 04:51:32 PM »
It's getting there, ableit slowly, I guess it will more or less folow the development curve of the IC engine.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2014, 12:05:49 AM »
Rob,I may be viewing things from a slightly different perspective,but I actually believe the development is getting there rather more quickly than many people are aware and the leaps forward are often so quick in succession that the development curve is often close to leapfrogging itself.

Below I have attached some photos I took at an introductory test day in January 2009 here on the Isle of Man.

The basis of this introductory test day was to assess the viability of establishing and promoting an Isle of Man TT race class specifically for zero emission electric race bikes.

The history of the event goes something like this. The first years race in 2009 was held under the TTX GP organisers banner but due to a break down in commercial negotiations to run future years events TTX GP withdrew from organising the race soon after the 1st year.

It was decided by the powers that be that this new form of racing had great potential and the 2010 event and all since have been organised and run by the Isle of Man Government's Department of Economic Development with input from the ACU and TT development team,headed by Paul Phillips(TT Development Officer)

I attended that original introductory test day because I believed at the time that this was a very appropriate addition to the TT race schedule as the TT races have always historically been about development and improvement of the motorcycle breed,though I have to say it had many doubters and detractors at that early stage.

If you take a quick look at the attached photos and compare them to some of the purpose built electric racing exotica we see today you would surely agree that the development has been on a fast track forward over the past 3 or 4 years,and I personally see that intensity continuing for another 5 years at least.

The bike in photos is a GSXR 750 chassis fitted with an electric propulsion system and was typical of the sort of machines we saw at the first race in 2009.....OZ.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 12:32:22 AM by Manxmodder »

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 07:03:06 PM »
The news is that Moto Czysz are taking a year out and won't be competing at this years TT Zero event.

Mark Miller,who has ridden one of the very successful Moto Czysz machines since 2010, will be riding for Team Vercarmoto in the 2014 TT Zero race.

It's a great disappointment MotoCzysz  won't be here this year as their highly developed race bikes always provide a great spectacle whether seen racing at speed or stood still.....OZ.

Link to article about Mark Miller and Team Vercarmoto below:
 http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2014-tt-zero-mark-miller-team-vercarmoto-yamaha-r6e/

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 09:01:34 PM »
That really sucks. That MC bike is gorgeous just sitting still.
Science is fun.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2014, 06:37:37 AM »
Those who are bike fans will know that the Isle of Man TT race festival is under way and we have had really good weather for the first 2 practice sessions with some blisteringly fast times recorded already.

Racing begins on Saturday 31st May.

On the TT Zero electric bike racing front there are some interesting developments from Team Mugen,and it seems they really mean business this year.

The new Mugen machine incorporates many technical improvements and greater performance figures compared to the bike they raced here in 2013.

If the weather conditions are good I expect to see the TT Zero lap record increase by a substantial margin....OZ.

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:28 AM »
If you are able to take some pictures, I would like to see them!
Science is fun.

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 03:10:24 PM »
Seems like they're missing a trick by not putting the motors into the wheels, probably have to wait another ten years for that advancement! Really good to see this technology developing though.  :thumbup:

Bit slow I know but I'd still like to try one if these:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2014, 03:22:59 PM by dsquire »

Offline mattinker

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2014, 03:12:50 PM »
Seems like they're missing a trick by not putting the motors into the wheels, probably have to wait another ten years for that advancement! Really good to see this technology developing though.  :thumbup:

Bit slow I know but I'd still like to try one if these:

What about unsprung weight?

Regards, Matthew

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2014, 09:19:17 PM »
I have to agree that one wheel contraption is enticing!

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »
A bit of an update on the TT Zero event: I have heard news today that MotoCzysz are not here this year as team boss Michael Czysz is still not in good health.

On the Team Mugen front, John McGuinness has completed a practice lap with an average speed of 115.9 mph for the 37.75 mile course this afternoon  :clap:

Team mate Bruce Anstey on the second Mugen recorded over 113mph average.

Last years lap record was around 109mph so it will be very interesting to see what they can achieve in the actual race on Wednesday morning.....OZ.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 08:14:07 AM »
This mornings TT Zero race was won by 21 times TT winner John McGuinness on the Mugen Shinden electric bike.

McGuinness shattered the previous years record(109.675mph) by setting an incredible lap speed of 117.366 mph.

The next bench mark in speed advancement will be a 120mph lap,which is now temptingly close after todays achievement.
Link to Manx Radio News report on today's record:
http://www.manxradio.com/newsread.aspx?id=71367#

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2014, 09:51:34 PM »
Hi lads, this is well worth a look. Youtube on bike video of John McGuinness on the Mugen Shinden setting his race winning 117.336mph lap.

This is the full unedited lap of the 37.75mile TT road race circuit and clearly demonstrates how the electric bike technology is developing rapidly.....OZ.

Link:   

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 10:22:02 PM by dsquire »

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2015, 11:04:42 AM »
Rob,I may be viewing things from a slightly different perspective,but I actually believe the development is getting there rather more quickly than many people are aware and the leaps forward are often so quick in succession that the development curve is often close to leapfrogging itself.........

As OZ said for the last couple of years, developments are proceeding apace, and the results are certainly being helped by the participation of mainstream TT star riders who aren't ashamed to be seen competing on "battery bikes".

This years "TT Zero" had a small but class field and the race was won by the Mugen Shinden-mounted "Morecambe Missile", John McGuiness, from the likes of Bruce Anstey (NZ), Lees Johnston & Guy Martin; Mark Millar (USA) was a non-starter.

Although the endurance isn't there yet, they're certainly getting both max and average speeds up. It was close racing with the leaderboard changing a number of times during the race, but McGuiness took the lead on the northern part of the course & held on to win by 4.4 seconds - at an average speed of 119.366 miles per hour for the 37.75 mile circuit.  Bear in mind that McGuiness set the lightweight 250cc lap record at an average speed 118.29 mph not many years ago; and that it was only in 2009 McGuiness managed the first lap to break the 130mph barrier.

John was clocked through the speed trap on Sulby straight at 163.3 mph !  :jaw:

Few more details here

Dave