Author Topic: How do i go about choosing the correct chuck  (Read 8940 times)

Offline piper1

How do i go about choosing the correct chuck
« on: January 23, 2014, 02:43:14 PM »
Hi could anyone please advise me on how i would go about choosing the correct replacement chuck for my lathe.
I am wanting to buy a four jaw chuck but haven’t got a clue on what i need to look out for.
I have a Smithy CB-1220 XL.

Thanks
Kev

Offline philjoe5

Re: How do i go about choosing the correct chuck
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 03:57:42 PM »
Kev,
Questions you need to have answered are:
Does your lathe have a threaded spindle and if so what is its diameter and pitch?
If it's threaded, your new chuck will a threaded backplate to fit the spindle.  Do you have one?
What size chuck will accomodate your lathe?
Quality costs $ but you can get a reasonably good import for about $125 USD that's 6" in size

Perhaps someone with your machine can chime in with specifics

Cheers,
Phil

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 05:17:34 PM »
Looks like the lathe has a flange mount spindle similar to the mini lathe...
You will need a chuck with a recessed back....
So you need to know the diameter of the shoulder on the flange and the pcd of the mounting holes for starters...
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline RodW

• Vehicle Modifications Network
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 06:00:43 AM »
Sorry, but you will need to convert to imperial units.

You need to get some 16mm steel, cast iron preferably to make a backing plate. I fitted a 160mm 4 jaw to my smithy.

I removed the chuck and measured the flange dimension.

Then drill a hole through the centre of the piece, put a bolt head behind the 3 jaws and tighten it up as tight as you can.

Now you can face it and turn down to size.

From here you need to machine a recess that fits the flange as tight as it can be. You only get one chance at this as if you undo the bolt, you won't be able to realign the part. You will end up with some stuff in the middle but it will fit in the spindle hole. Turn the part around and heave a big sigh when it fits on the flange!

So now the trick is to  drill and tap the mounting holes ( M8 from memory). The hard bit is to get thes bolt holes in the exact position. After turning the practice part into a swiss cheese, I  found the best way is to turn up a short centre punch to mark the position. First off punch some witness marks into the machine flange and mounting plate to keep it in alignment as you take it on and off.

So now, drill your holes and tap them under the mill making sure the tap is dead square. I did one hole at a time and mounted it back on the lathe before punching the next hole.

Ok, one side done. You then bolt the plate to the lathe and then you can face it and  machine the boss to suit the new chuck. Most aftermarket chucks have front mounting bolts so it is easy to punch hole positions. Tap them and you are done!

Or of course you could order one ready to go from smithy!

Sorry I did not have any more photos but this should be enough to get you going!
RodW
Brisbane, Australia

Offline piper1

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 03:00:18 PM »
Thank you so much for all the replies, i really do appreciate the support.
At least i know now that it can be achieved.
Photo’s are great thanks Rod.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2014, 03:49:36 PM »
Hi Kev

It looks to me that your machine is that which Machine Mart sell as the Clarke CL500M combi? in which case they sell a 4 jaw chuck to suit as an optional extra, I know as I had the same machine prior to my changing. A good solid machine for beginners (usual disclaimer), if you have the funds buy the chuck from them so no need to faff on with back plate machining & drilling.

Cheers
George
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 04:13:02 PM »
Kevin,
It may well be that if the register diameter is a standard/preferred size then Machinemart may not be the only option......if you remove your existing chuck and measure the recess diameter it may be the same size as a standard "recessed " chuck....For instance a typical 125mm chuck may grace an internal reg diameter of 95mm
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline piper1

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 12:02:58 PM »
Kevin,
It may well be that if the register diameter is a standard/preferred size then Machinemart may not be the only option......if you remove your existing chuck and measure the recess diameter it may be the same size as a standard "recessed " chuck....For instance a typical 125mm chuck may grace an internal reg diameter of 95mm

Thanks John I was thinking about taking my chuck to Machine mart and trying it out for size, but I do know that their 4 jaw chuck is a bit expensive.

Thanks
Kev

Offline Jonny

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:57 PM »
£180 Machine Mart but you know you will have no messing about and a direct fit.

Remove 3 jaw and measure the register.
Measure best you can the pcd for the four fixing bolts.
If 95 pcd think I have found a good buy from Rotagrip far better quality http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vertex-160mm-4-Jaw-Independent-Lathe-Chuck-/360828915829?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5403145075

Need a direct fit on to the register since you wont be able to machine to fit the chuck unlike L00, L0 and D series fittings where better to machine the back plate to fit the chuck.

Offline piper1

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 03:06:43 AM »
£180 Machine Mart but you know you will have no messing about and a direct fit.

Remove 3 jaw and measure the register.
Measure best you can the pcd for the four fixing bolts.
If 95 pcd think I have found a good buy from Rotagrip far better quality http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vertex-160mm-4-Jaw-Independent-Lathe-Chuck-/360828915829?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item5403145075

Need a direct fit on to the register since you wont be able to machine to fit the chuck unlike L00, L0 and D series fittings where better to machine the back plate to fit the chuck.

Thanks for the great info Jonny.
£180 does sound a lot of money but I just might get lucky one day searching around on ebay.