The Shop > Finishing

First go at power coating

<< < (3/4) > >>

Dawai:
NOTE:  you can "touch up powder coat" with paint.  It is done normally to remove defects in high visibility areas.

Some of the better coaters around here can do near "show quality" work, where the finish has a depth I can only achieve with expensive HOUSE OF KOLOR paint.

Spray on CHROME, POWDER COAT mirror chrome is a great alternative to very expensive electro plating. On a studebaker Damascene dash I did a chrome, then candy, then clear.. it was terrrible to drive that old truck with the sun shining. (bad idea) It was pretty.  Next owner stripped it all out.

I am dying to see the reflectivity for some solar projects using mirror Chrome pc.

This industry, hobby, is changing daily.  I still have a lot to learn.

Jonny:

--- Quote from: Dawai on January 25, 2014, 06:26:26 AM ---
  If you find a easy way to "remove" the baked on cured coating, share it..

--- End quote ---

Nitromores was mentioned by a local pro.

Just so happens got a strip powder coat and primer job on end of the week, i'll let you know.

Jonny:
While I think of it the 3ft aluminium die cast part was professionally done last year using etching primer then the powder coating.
Owner wanted a change of colour something a lot harder and more durable.

Nitromoores (quality paint stripper) it comes off but dries out rapidly needing multiple 3mm thick dabbing at least three times. Just a simple scrape off.
Areas that I didn't use Nitromoores again can be scraped off, tough going with a chisel not the right tool. 60 grit aluminium oxide also easily removes by finger rubbing in no time and no clogging of the abrasive like normal paints.

Powder coat by a professional company is a lot softer than the etching primer Nitromoores didn't touch!
Used to work for a couple of pressing companies, numerous vehicle parts were powder coated by a large national UK company, all were softish easily chipped or scratched off.

AussieJimG:
People making fishing lures use dipped powder coating and have some lurid colours. Might be worth a look.

Jim

Brass_Machine:
Been powder coating for about 5 years. Using an elcheapo gun off of ebay. I have definitely gotten my money back from it. Wish I had a better gun though.

I have actually heard decent reviews of the craftsman electric gun (no compressor required)

EBAY Ad

Eric

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version