Gallery, Projects and General > How to's

Machine small work unobstructed

<< < (5/5)

wongster:
Sorry to ask my questions in an old thread.  I'm looking for solution(s) to hold not so square stocks in my 4-jaw scroll chuck (or called automatic chuck by the manufacturer of my lathe) when I remember this thread. I reckoned that I only need to make 2 pieces; one for each opposing jaw.

Now my super newbie questions:
1) how do I size up the stock to use as the jaw, ID and OD?
2) what would be the angle of the faces if I'm to make one for each of the 4 jaws? 90-degree? Does it matter if making only for the 2 opposing jaws?
3) I would like to make the jaws a little taller to provide better hold for facing and drilling through.  Will that cause the part held in this manner unstable?

Thank you for any help.
Wongster

philf:
Hi Wongster,

To arrive at the correct OD and ID I think you'll have to draw out your chuck jaws and draw the new jaw around that.

On a 4-jaw you would only need 2 jaws and wouldn't need to angle the ends. You could use square or rectangular bar.

I wouldn't extend the jaws above the original jaws - it would, as you say, be unstable.

I made some for my 3-jaw but I also have a self centering 4-jaw and will have a go at making a pair for that. Machining soft jaws on a 3-jaw to clamp a diameter isn't that straightforward as you can't easily measure a diameter when there isn't a diametrically opposite jaw. This is easy with 2 or 4 jaws.

Phil.

Biggles:
A very good idea and something I can use for some jobs.  :clap:

fatal-exception:
Thanks for the idea. I'm not a fan of holding hex socket head cap screws by the head OD, but seem to have to do it often. This will eliminate those problems.  :headbang:

I also like the drill chuck in the lathe chuck idea. I just found a box of old drill chucks while cleaning out my dads garage this weekend. Some are very old and look to be good quality. My new Bison 6" chuck wont hold anything under 1/16", so this will come in handy for the odd part.

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version