Author Topic: I need a tapping head, any one try one from Grizzly?  (Read 4410 times)

Offline ibuildstuff4u

I need a tapping head, any one try one from Grizzly?
« on: February 19, 2014, 12:43:12 AM »
Ok, I'm really sick of hand tapping and need to get a tapping head.  I would prefer a power head for the drill press, but might even try a tapping stand if I can't find a power unit for a good price.  I keep looking at them on E-bay, but the only ones I can afford look really beat up.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried the power tapping head from Grizzly tools? 
Here is a link, please take a look and tell me your opinion if you think it would be ok for a small home shop.

Thanks, Dale P.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/T10057

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: I need a tapping head, any one try one from Grizzly?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 11:02:59 AM »
Dale,

Yes, I have one and it works reasonably well.  It is not as good as my Tapmatic heads, but it is sufficient for most small machines.  The collet/grip on it is somewhat hard to get used to and the drive keys that allow it to deal with a (slightly) eccentric hole work loose which, when that happens, is an RPITA.  Within its limitations (size, grip, and torque) it is a functional and useful tool.

One of the "kids" I went to college with ended up moderately high up the food chain at the Indian Ministry of Industry and Trade.  He used to send my products they were evaluating for production under Indian government funding for review.  That is where my version came from and, to be clear, I am referring to an Indian made version from 1992 or so.

Offline platypus20

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »
I've had one for 2 years or so, is it perfect?, NO  Does it work?, Yes. As previously said, its takes a little time to get the rhythm, once you get use to the operation, it works great.
jack

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 11:37:12 PM »
Thanks for the reviews.  It's always nice to talk to someone before spending hard earned cash.  I use aluminum in my work shop 99.9% of the time so even a cheap head should be able to tap holes easily.  Right now I'm working on parts with #8 screws that need to be tapped and my hands can't take any more hand tapping.

I want to keep this purchase under $200 so I will watch E-bay closely all week and if I don't see something decent for the money I will go ahead and buy the one from Grizzly.

Thanks, Dale P.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Offline davidh

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:27:04 AM »
I have the business end of one that was part of a 3/89" Milwaukee drill motor.  the motor was junk so I took of the head and I think I even saved the armature so I could use the armature shaft for the drive if I wanted to make one.   a crafty person could make it work quite well im sure but I have no use for it.  $20 plus postage would get it to someone else ?  anyone interested ?  I may have a couple photos for those interested.  im in USA so bear in mind for postage.
davidh  tooldoc@cheqnet.net