Author Topic: O/t N.E. England  (Read 5020 times)

Offline Bradley Simmonds

O/t N.E. England
« on: December 27, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »
Just heading down to the north east of england for a quick four day stint; york, durham and hadrians wall...maybe newcastle if someone points out what there is to do and see there....

I love history especially the engineering side of things... What do people recommend for handrians wall where to go ect.   Just an open book any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: O/t N.E. England
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 04:10:10 PM »
You could visit Beamish museum. http://www.beamish.org.uk/ It's a great day out with alot to see.  I'd really reccomend visiting this place.

There's also Tanfield railway nearby. They run the train on Sundays. http://www.tanfieldrailway.co.uk/ Although there's not a whole lot to do there except ride and look at the train, but it could maybe compliment Beamish.

Cragside is pretty good for walks, and there's an industrial connection and a few things to see. http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/cragside/ My parents love it. Armstrong definitely had an eye for scenery.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »
Hi Bradley, Beamish is a must but you could spend days there alone, I have not been but York and Darlington and I think Shildon all have railway museums, there is also the Discovery meuseum in Newcastle which has engineering related things in it. The Laing art gallery in Newcastle is also top quality place all sorts of class items from the building itself to artwork of engineering and shipyards etc, top class local art of all types , glass, ceramics, wood carvings, silversmithing, goldsmithing , Dame Laura Knight exhibition is still on too I think.
 As for the Romans you are spoilt for choice in this area from the museum of antiquity s in Newcastle university and all along the wall from Wallsend to the west coast. I would say Vindolanda and Chesters are well worth a visit and give a good over view of the area in Roman times.
  Hope you enjoy your visit.

Cheers Mick.

Offline Bradley Simmonds

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2013, 09:33:54 AM »
Cheers to both of you for the suggestions! Thanks they are definately now on my to do list. I will let you know how it goes next week when i return from the trip.

Brad

lordedmond

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2013, 09:53:42 AM »
York railway museum is  worth a visit if your into loco,s

Stuart

Offline malbenbut

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2013, 12:08:08 PM »
Science museum bottom of Westgate hill in Newcastle worth a look also the Baltic art gallery if you're into modern art.
MBB

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 01:10:03 PM »
The Roman Wall? Best seen from Housesteads off the Military Road above Haltwhistle but most farms and whatever are actually the Wall.

George Stephenson- the Rocket man etc is 'Canny' Wylam on the Tyne. His cottage is just down stream of Wylam on the North Bank. if you go a little towards Prudhoe/Ovingham is the little model of Sydney Habour Bridge but Newcastle has the real model. Underneath is the Swing Bridge which- would you believe it- is where the Roman Bridge was. Then you have the Central Station- designed by our great uncle and what was the biggest railway junction in the world. The dirty old castle is the NEW castle. As Malcolm says, there is the Turbinia of Charlie Parsons in the Discovery Museum.

If you have time- Rothbury is for Lord Armstrong and Cragside and the first place to be lit with electric light. Hydroelectric stuff. Opposite side is Garleigh Moor with the Cup and Ring Markings of a bygone Bronze age.

Obviously, there is Beamish but you will never 'do' Tyneside in 4 years not 4 days.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 02:11:36 PM »
Science museum bottom of Westgate hill in Newcastle worth a look also the Baltic art gallery if you're into modern art.
MBB

If you're in the city the Baltic is worth a visit just for the view.

Offline Bradley Simmonds

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 03:02:24 PM »
Heya guys,

I knew that what i suggested was ambitous, but was hoping to see a little bit of alot to get a taste for a longer trip...long story short we did beamish for a day, durham for a day and two days in york....spitting chips a little bit cause i was hoping to get a few shots of the flying scotsman, but no matter the mallard ect were there...

Once again thats for the input and advice!

Brad

Back to work today just rolled outta a 12 hour shift, not bad for a first day back....