Gallery, Projects and General > The Design Shop

would this valve design work for a steam engine?

(1/3) > >>

jonogt:

the picture is a little fuzzy, but i think it can still be made out.  Might give a bigger version if you go to the link

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v171/Jonogt/doubleactingsteam.jpg

basically i'm still kind of grey on the exact design of the steam chest on locomotive style engines, and the drawings above are of what I have in mind for my next one.  It would use a piston with holes drilled in it (red) that'd oscillate in the manifold box (blue), with the flywheel providing the force for said oscillation.  I'm about to fall asleep right now, so if my drawings aren't clear enough i'll add more comments tommorrow.  I mostly just want input on how close this is to the design of a typical steam chest, how well it would actually work, and what materials would be best to use for the piston and box.

hittin the hay,
-Jon

sbwhart:
Jon

Follow this link for description how a loco slide valve works it may help.

http://oldenginehouse.users.btopenworld.com/slide.htm

Cheers

Stew

jonogt:
that actually helped a lot.  the main part I couldn't wrap my head around was how the system exhausted.  all the animations and pictures i've looked at gave really poor depictions of this, but that shows it well.

I don't really see how this setup forms a good airtight seal between the exhaust and the slide though.  Does the pressure of steam coming in hold them firmly against eachother?

at the risk of being too stubborn and wanting to make something a little more original, do you think the setup I drew could be effective?  let me know if it needs further explaination. 

thanks again for the link,
-Jon

sbwhart:

--- Quote from: jonogt on March 25, 2009, 10:36:56 AM ---

Does the pressure of steam coming in hold them firmly against eachother?

at the risk of being too stubborn and wanting to make something a little more original, do you think the setup I drew could be effective?  let me know if it needs further explaination. 

thanks again for the link,
-Jon

--- End quote ---

Jon

Yes your spot on, :thumbup: its the pressure of the steam, that and good flat mating surfaces and the film of oil between the surfaces.

As for your design I'm afraid I don't realy understand it, :scratch:  but that could be me I'm not that knowledgable on diferent valve arrangements, when you posted your previous design I think I may have confused you, it took John Bogstandard's greater knowledge to sort you out.

Sorry I can't be much more help

Stew

bogstandard:
Hi Jon,

That looks (with a little bit of guesstimation) similar to the operation of a piston valve.

Without a bit more information it is very difficult to comment on your drawing.

Where are the paths of the inlet/exhaust, and what hole goes to where?

John

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version