Author Topic: miny lathe refit  (Read 8080 times)

Offline krv3000

miny lathe refit
« on: December 23, 2013, 06:03:49 PM »
hi this is the other thing that i have bin on with its not mine it belongs to a chap of the forum it  originally it just needed new head Bering's but when it landed it needs much more i got a lump of bronze of john witch was a spur of on of his castings SOS no pics of it before i started i turned dawn both ends to get the OD then marked it out and cut it in two then with me sander smooth the two cut parts so they where both the same thickens and to remove the hack saw Marks once this was dun i then soft soldered the two haves back to gather then once cold out back in to the lathe to mack the bushes up  SOS no pics of that bit but pics of the finished bushes the lathe mane shaft did not need any thing downing to it so that bit is dun its getting a re pant other things that need downing is the tail stock needs sorting out the N0 two Morse taper in it is worn out and it needs two blocks making for it to sit in the dovetail in the lathe bed as no making a new feed screw for the Cross slide and the feed screw for the Cross slid to move on the bed needs to be sorted out their is no name on the lathe as its a kit lathe IE you by the castings and mack the lathe up right pics

Offline krv3000

Re: miny lathe refit
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 06:11:47 PM »
ups have posted twice can sum one delet one for me

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 09:01:41 PM »
No problem. Done!
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 04:44:32 PM »
Hi Bob , looks like you have been busy as per usual, doing a great job there , I bet the owner will be well chuffed at the overhaul  :thumbup: :clap:

Cheers Mick

Offline Kjelle

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 04:22:51 AM »
You know, Bob, the more I see of your work, the more impressed I get... Please keep up the good work!

Kjelle

Offline krv3000

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 07:48:40 PM »
hi all well i have dun a bit more SOS not many pics as me camera Du's not like bin out in the coled the next problem was the feed screw it was bent and it was not fastened to the cross slide properly and the end that fitted into the front supporting bracket was badly worn both the nut and thread where OK first job straiten out the screw just smacked with me led hammer got it as best as i cud the next job sort out the end all i did was tack it dawn till it was even then i made a bush out of silver steel then modified the bracket IE from a 10mm hole to a 12mm hole to fit the bush once all was level and ruining parallel i had to mack up packing and a bracket out of 10mm sqer bar then screed it all in place then made a extended dead center and a extended chuck for the tale stock as i have posted before on this just got a No1 Mose taper probably a old drill one and silver solder extensions to the front for the center and the chuck then made one of the bearings oil pots i made them out of aluminum as i did not have any brass bar the diameter i needed the pot is 16mm in hite with a 13mm hole then a 2mm hole all the way threw the end that gose in to the bearing cap is all so 16mm long with a OD of 5.8 mm this all so aced as a peg to stop the bearing rotating in the cap right pics

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 03:58:36 AM »

Nice job Bob, well done. Should work like new now.

Cheers David

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »
Bob, you never cease to amaze me.

Jim

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
Well done again!

Offline micktoon

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2013, 04:42:35 PM »
Top class work Bob , its looking very smart now, almost too good to use  :drool:  Keep up the good work Bob  :bow: :bow:

Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »
hi all i hope you all had a good party right i have finished the lathe refit the last bits that needed downing the back Bering oil pot and a retaining Collier i have put me Stuart V10 in the pic to give you a ider of the size of the lathe right pics

Offline micktoon

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 06:13:56 PM »
Hi Bob , its looking top notch there  :thumbup: :clap: :drool: , as usual you have done a fantastic job of reviving an old object into something that looks new and works as it should again  :drool: Top marks Bob .

Cheers Mick