Author Topic: Quorn (CORN) Sharpener Grinder  (Read 11643 times)

Offline nel2lar

Quorn (CORN) Sharpener Grinder
« on: December 20, 2013, 11:31:35 PM »

I have study the Quorn and was it really worth building was my biggest concern? Well I took the leap and got the castings.

After reading and studing the notes, I'll start the build. I started with a part that need bored and 2 holes drilled. The bore will not be done until I have the base finished because the lever connects to the base. Hope the following will be helpful and I may be comming for good advice.
Nelson Collar

Offline mattinker

Re: Quorn (CORN) Sharpener Grinder
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2013, 01:17:02 AM »
I'm looking forward to this!

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »
May I offer a comment or two, please?

Before you inline bore the holes for the bed bars, I would suggest that you make up the boring bar which George Thomas detailed in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual. Again, I would not split the bores but would fit cottars as detailed as an alternative by Chaddock. There is a tendency for the rear casting bore  to close up sufficiently to prevent the precision bar from fitting. In my first attempt, I bored too precisely and bore closed up with the slitting!

Mine- is now unused and probably rusting!

Norman

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »
I confess that mine sits in it's box on a cupboard largely unused. Superbly adaptable machine. I notice that Home & Workshop machinery have a very well equipped one for sale at £450 which I think is very cheap for what it is. After all how much is a raw set of castings these days? A few hundred I'll be bound.

I cheated with mine, it was part of the deceased effects of a modeler, very nicely made, but as usual when people pass on their relatives don't appreciate that things like this shouldn't just be 'shoved in a shed' for storage (= rusting). I did a full re-build on it.

My wife's under instructions not to turn the heating off in my workshop until after she and the kids have flogged my stuff when I pop my clogs  :lol:

Incidentally, Quorn is the name of a village in Leicestershire that Professor Chaddock was associated with, the name has nothing to do with a meat substitute, or 'Corn' !)

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 04:14:21 AM »
Hi

I have built this machine, and would agree with the comments Fergus made.

Good luck    David   

Offline Pete.

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 08:41:21 AM »
I confess that mine sits in it's box on a cupboard largely unused. Superbly adaptable machine. I notice that Home & Workshop machinery have a very well equipped one for sale at £450 which I think is very cheap for what it is. After all how much is a raw set of castings these days? A few hundred I'll be bound.
Andrew

I read this, went straight up there and it's been sold. Came away with a pretty nice Mk1 Clarkson instead though it has no workholding so now I am on the lookout for attachments.

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 10:56:41 AM »
Where would one buy the kit of castings?  I'm stuck here over the other side of the pond...

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:34:50 AM »
flutedchamber, if you are in the USA, Quorn Castings are available here:
http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/Quorn/tools-quorn.html
Chuck

Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2013, 02:55:36 PM »
Andrew

I read this, went straight up there and it's been sold. Came away with a pretty nice Mk1 Clarkson instead though it has no workholding so now I am on the lookout for attachments.

I'll demand 10% commission from Chris & Steve when I next see them  :ddb:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2013, 03:21:27 PM »
There is a Quorn on eBay UK at the moment for £700 erroneously spelt 'QUORNE'

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2013, 03:51:14 PM »

Do you know http://www.bedroom-workshop.com/ ? Steve has a ton of information on Clarksons, including "home made" tooling. There are lots information on the tooling and some of my tooling!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete.

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2013, 04:21:35 PM »
Cheers Matt, I've been reading up there already :thumbup:

Andrew - I don't think they will thank you much after the deal I hammered out with Steve, I even got a discount for it being my birthday!

Nice guys there as usual :thumbup: :thumbup

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
I've known him since he was dealing out of a lock up garage  :thumbup:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2013, 05:21:22 PM »
flutedchamber, if you are in the USA, Quorn Castings are available here:
http://www.martinmodel.com/MMPtools-subfiles/Quorn/tools-quorn.html
Chuck

Thank you Chuck.  A new toy :beer: :beer: :beer:

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2013, 03:57:34 AM »
I've sent a separate PM to Pete as he has a Clarkson. Frankly, my somewhat odd tooling might come as a surprise but I use mine with a Vertex Dividing head in preference to a lot of more conventional goodies.

However for those who want to go continue on the home brew and no castings  tool and cutter grinders, there is the Bonelle and the far simpler Brooks which appeared in MEW 16 and 17.

There is the even simpler Norman Tinker thing. A few of us have made them from any old bit of metal- in a few short days. I can see the point and the simplicity.

Cheers

N

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2013, 04:32:59 PM »
May I offer a comment or two, please?
Yes, you may make all the comments you would like.

I would suggest that you make up the boring bar which George Thomas detailed in his Model Engineers Workshop Manual. Again, I would not split the bores but would fit cottars as detailed as an alternative by Chaddock.
I am going to make Georges bar.

Mine- is now unused and probably rusting!
Sorry to hear about all the rust.
Cheers
Nelson Collar

Norman

Offline nel2lar

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »
Thanks to all that commented. I've looked at them for years and a opportunely came up and I could not pass it up. Some times the labor is not a big concern.

To reply to a couple of the comments:
Norman
I plan to make it like JW Early built his. Boring bar and all and yes I plan to use brass cotters on all adjustment points.
Thanks

Andrew
I have seen many go for far less than what it should be worth. That is what stopped me for years. The cost of casting and metal plus all that time making it would put a price tag much higher because you spend very close to $500.00 US dollars before the machine sharpens anything. And again you have all the stones that could go into another $500.00 dollars US.
Quorn, I know the story I just put it there for pronounciation of it.
Thank you

I do not have any intention to sell it after I finish with it and I have informed my wife what I think it is worth. I think the informed make better deals at time to get rid of husbands toys after going home.
Merry CHRISTmas, All
Nelson Collar