Author Topic: Oscillating spindle sander.  (Read 9638 times)

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Oscillating spindle sander.
« on: December 05, 2013, 05:05:33 AM »

Here's another video. This time on an oscillating spindle sander i've built.

It's probably better to watch it natively on youtube than embedded, you get a bigger picture frame and there's some stuff in the video descrption like a link to the cad file.

Also thanks to the folk that helped with the chuck problem.

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
Re: Oscillating spindle sander.
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 06:13:05 AM »
Nice :)

Had to laugh at you with the saw and that 2x2 steel bar :P  did you consider using tube?

Bill
Bill

Offline John Rudd

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 07:13:18 AM »
Nicely done  :bow:
Enjoyed the video too  :thumbup:
eccentric millionaire financed by 'er indoors

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 08:27:12 AM »
Hi there, Simon,

That's a good project brought to a good result.  You certainly don't hang about.   :clap:   :clap:   :clap: 

Shows me up - I tend to over-think my projects.  'Sometimes I sits and thinks but sometimes I just sits.'   :scratch:   :Doh:   :scratch:   :Doh:   :scratch:   :Doh: 

I don't mean to be a smart-a**e but one thing puzzled me though - considering how ingenious and productive you are with wood, why didn't you think to make a wooden fixed steady?  It would have avoided  a wait and would have been durable enough to sort out your spindle problem.

Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Nice :)

Had to laugh at you with the saw and that 2x2 steel bar :P  did you consider using tube?

Bill

My original plan was to weld 2 50x50x5mm angle iron bits together to make a tube but I didn't fancy my chances of getting them aligned that well. I also find that the edges of square tube tend to be slightly concave and without a mill it'd be alot of hassle filing and scraping them flat. The square block with it's sharp corners was handy to reference from too.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2013, 01:42:14 PM »
Hi there, Simon,

That's a good project brought to a good result.  You certainly don't hang about.   :clap:   :clap:   :clap: 

Shows me up - I tend to over-think my projects.  'Sometimes I sits and thinks but sometimes I just sits.'   :scratch:   :Doh:   :scratch:   :Doh:   :scratch:   :Doh: 

I don't mean to be a smart-a**e but one thing puzzled me though - considering how ingenious and productive you are with wood, why didn't you think to make a wooden fixed steady?  It would have avoided  a wait and would have been durable enough to sort out your spindle problem.

I feel I over-thnunk the steady rest thing myself. I realised I could've scraped it right from the start, but I guess I didn't want to accept that the lathe thing wasn't working. The bought steady rest was an improvement but I think the remaining innacuracy was probably caused by the bar not so much as pivoting at the 4 jaw chuck to line up with the rest, but flexing. I did chuck it with a thin aluminium ring to help it pivot but it was still too much.

I'm not sure if wood would be able to survive the strain. It'd probably flex a bit at least. Plus all the oil and lubricant might not do the wood any good. For £20 I figured it was worth saving myself the hassle of sorting out the inevitable teething problems if I'd tried to make my own.

Offline micktoon

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2013, 06:11:19 PM »
Hi Simon , nice video again and good project  :clap: , looks like a very handy bit of kit  :thumbup: ..................... for a second I thought it had burst into flames at the end of the video  :lol: , then noticed it was an artistic ending  :bow:
 Cheers Mick

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2013, 06:13:29 PM »
well dun

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2013, 06:20:17 PM »
Hi
Simon
Nice video
Your editing has had a massive improvement
Very well shown
John

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2013, 06:28:48 PM »
for a second I thought it had burst into flames at the end of the video  :lol: , then noticed it was an artistic ending  :bow:
 Cheers Mick

Haha. I always like when people end their videos with a gag or something novel. Like John's outtakes.

It wasn't the best of ideas and ruined a perfectly good board of pine plywood, but I guess it's better than nothing.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2013, 06:32:26 PM »
Hi
Simon
Nice video
Your editing has had a massive improvement
Very well shown
John

Thanks very much. I was a little worried that i'd edited it a bit too fast and glossed over a few things though, but nobody's complained yet.

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2013, 06:38:01 PM »
You have the same problem as me
You talk to fast
The non Geordies can not keep up  / understand us
John

Offline Sid_Vicious

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2013, 07:24:39 PM »
As a non Geordie and not having english as my mother tongue there are sometimes a word here and there I don't understand, but it was no problem understanding you and your comments in the video. :thumbup:
Nothing is impossible, it just take more time to figure out.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2013, 07:34:52 PM »
You have the same problem as me
You talk to fast
The non Geordies can not keep up  / understand us
John

I wish I could blame it all on the Geordie but I think i'm just a lousy speaker in general. I script alot of the commentary to try keep the ums and errs down but I have a habit of writing myself tongue twisters. I also have a hell of a time trying to say 'length' properly.

I do try speak a bit slower but it's a difficult habit for me to break when trying to break all the other habits at the same time. And don't get me started on dry mouth sounds..

Nah recording audio isn't my favourite task, but I personally do prefer audio commentary in other people's videos to subtitles.

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2013, 07:41:55 PM »
As a non Geordie and not having english as my mother tongue there are sometimes a word here and there I don't understand, but it was no problem understanding you and your comments in the video. :thumbup:

That's good to hear. I do worry about clarity because sometimes I have no idea what I'm saying myself. You should hear what my duff takes sound like.

Offline RussellT

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:28 PM »
That looks a useful tool.  :clap: It'd be great for shaping something like a steady rest. :doh: :D

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.