Author Topic: Bargain brand dial indicator - Whoops!  (Read 4931 times)

Offline superc

Bargain brand dial indicator - Whoops!
« on: February 01, 2014, 01:53:20 PM »
Always keeping an eye out for new goodies on Ebay I had noticed a Türlen Precision TEST DIAL INDICATOR .0005" & MILL HOLDER for BRIDGEPORT on Ebay.  Two items one price.  Needless to say the price was way, way lower than buying equivalent Starrett or Mitutoyo items, so I bought it.  Came yesterday.

I have no complaint about the holder.  My micro mill isn't a Bridgeport (Sieg X2 I suspect) but the holder clamps on nicely anyway.

I figure most folks here are familiar with dial test indicators.  (Pictures of what I bought attached.)  Looks fairly standard.  This one looks a lot to me like the much more expensive Brown and Sharpe or Mitutoyo test indicators.  Possibly plastic parts inside, but since I am not going to be using it every day for factory production, maybe once every 20 days of mill operation at home, who cares?  Little plates for dovetail attachment to the clamps in 3 places.  Played with it a bit, Seems to work okay.  So I attached the holder to the mill and attempted (note that word) to attach the (included with purchase) dovetail clamps to the indicator.

LoL to that.  They would slide on, then promptly fall off when any attempt was made to lock them in place. 

Now we know that when buying things at a low price sometimes the quality level is also lower.  I had been waiting to see at what point the difference in quality control would jump out and smack me in the teeth.  I think I found it. 

In the specimen I had purchased the tail end of the dovetails is on the indicator as it is supposed to be.  The clamps, which look almost exactly like the Mitutoyo indicator clamps pictured below, are the socket end.  Fairly standard angled T slot type.  Problem I am seeing is neither one of them is machined to actually fit the tail end on the indicators.  On both of them although the depth is correct, the width of the opening is too large.  Using a feeler gauge I determined each of them is just about 0.3 mm too wide on the top end.  So when the push screw is tightened, the socket just lifts off the piece.  Could have been such a good purchase too.  Sigh! 

So yeah, Sharf sells some dial clamps that work with any size dial dovetail and I ordered two at $7 apiece and that will let the new indicator be used.  My first thought is I could probably mill down the face of these knockoff indicators then very carefully with precisely the right sized cutter redo the sockets, but what size cutter would that be, and could I hold the necessary tolerance (since obviously at least one factory is having an issue there)?  My second thought is when shopping bargains from China keep in mind that if there is an issue with what you bought, realize you may save a lot of time and aggravation and money by just going ahead and spending a little more money for a name brand purchase.

Offline krv3000

Re: Bargain brand dial indicator - Whoops!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 03:33:27 PM »
hi well as you my no i have fixt meny types of D.T.I and i  ant cum a cros one thats got plastic parts in one way to fix the problem with the origenel clamps wood of bin to cut the clamp then sqees the two parts together but its still a good by

Offline superc

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 06:27:43 AM »
Well, right now the vendor is struggling to understand what is wrong and requested digitized photos of the problem.  So I took the below photos and sent them off this AM.  I am only asking him to send me two clamps that fit, but I suspect he may not have any if this problem is on all of them.  My suspicion is one factory line made the indicators, another one made the spindle holder (which is really nice) and a third one made the clamps.  Then at another location everything was packaged without a quality control inspection to ensure the clamps being shipped with the indicators actually fit the indicators.    LoL

I agree it was a nice buy overall.  But it was/is a little annoying the clamps shipped don't fit the unit.  I do agree a shaved to fit (about a hair less than 0.30mm should do just right) toothpick epoxied into one side of the dovetail would possibly solve the problem, and certainly would be less of a pain to do than remilling a new dovetail would be.  My bemusement is at the thought that somewhere in a land far away, on some factory floor some 'master machinist' is going to have to do a whole bunch of retooling. 

wide clamp

small clamp

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 10:46:49 AM »
superc,
You could epoxy a piece of shim stock in one side of the clamp or under one side of the dovetail rail.
That would work surely,or have I misunderstood the problem?......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline mcostello

• Lancaster, Ohio
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 10:48:40 AM »
They won't retool anything, They will only quit making them that way when We quit buying them.  :)
High Speed steel in a Carbide world.

Offline superc

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 01:11:27 AM »
Well they asked for the dimensions of the tongue on my meter, so maybe I will eventually see a clamp from them that fits.  Yes, I have given consideration to shimming down a toothpick to .30mm, then epoxying that sliver into one of the grooves.  In the meanwhile the adjustable dovetail clamp from Sharf should be here tomorrow so I may not bother, besides who knows maybe the vendor has a bunch in a range of sizes and I may actually get one that fits from them.   :)

Offline superc

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
 :update:

Sorry about the delay in the followup.  About a week or two after the post a small package arrived and the vendor had included two replacements.

Also the Shars universal clamp showed up.  LoL the clamp end fits perfectly.  Too bad the aperture end fits none of the rods on any of my caliper stands.  Lathe time I guess.