Author Topic: Cummins Q series Diesel problems  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Manxmodder

Cummins Q series Diesel problems
« on: March 04, 2014, 10:12:29 AM »
Here on the Isle of Man our local Steam Railway has recently taken delivery of a diesel powered shunting Locomotive.
Despite being supplied with a Cummins factory recon engine this unit has been dogged with overheating and reliability issues since delivery and all sorts of rumours abound locally as to the reliability of the Cummins Q series engine fitted to the Loco.

I couldn't find any specific weaknesses related to the Q series on Google and just wondered if any of our forum community had experienced or know of any common ailments with this series of Cummins engine.
Any info would be appreciated.......OZ.
Helixes aren't always downward spirals,sometimes they're screwed up

Offline flutedchamber

Re: Cummins Q series Diesel problems
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:42 PM »
Does that engine use the Tier4/Euro4 emission equipment?

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:31:54 PM »
Hi F.C. I don't know what emission equipment is fitted but I would imagine the Railway Dept have specified an engine with some form of emission control to meet with environmental standards.

Are their any cases where the fitting of tier 4/Euro4 equipment causes overheating on Q series engines?

Offline flutedchamber

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 08:06:15 PM »
Depending on what emission system is fitted, there could be plugging of the catalytic converter on the unit, which would cause overheating.  Also, since this is a basically new engine, the pump timing could be off.   I would think the engine was run at the factory before installing it, which would find any problems such as this.

Cummins makes an excellent product.  Could the problem be something simple...a blocked or partially blocked hose, thermostat not opening, air trapped in the engine.  Most/all have air vents to get pockets of trapped air out.

The best bet would be a call to Cummins with the model and serial number of your unit handy.  I am sure they could give you a definite answer.

Offline Manxmodder

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2014, 03:10:21 PM »
The rumours that are circulating have a number of people suggesting that the Cummins Q series is prone to unreliability and mechanical problems.

Personally I am somewhat doubtful as to the validity of these claimed reliability issues and just wanted to know if anyone on this community had heard of or experienced any issues with the Q series engines general reliability reputation.

I also think it highly unlikely that Cummins Diesels are in the business of designing and producing unreliable engines which could damage their commercial reputation....OZ.