Author Topic: *lmao* Imperial system.. ;)  (Read 13983 times)

Offline ieezitin

Re: *lmao* Imperial system.. ;)
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
Dave...

yes i did get made whole, they re-installed the motor and gave me a guarantee for 12,000 miles and or one year on there work and parts, of course i burned through the miles quickly.

After my experience i will never buy a VW again not because of the product but more the attitude i got from VW US and Europe.......

Neo.........Do ya wanna soda with the pop-corn?

Anthony......
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

Re: *lmao* Imperial system.. ;)
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2013, 10:53:42 AM »
Shuffling forward, imperial or Metric, it’s all maths, the power comes from going deeper past the decimal point.
Anthony,

It is not just math, it is design as well.  The ABC (American-British-Canadian) standards promulgated for WWI established quite a few well designed criteria.  A (now Unified National or) UN Fine thread has 15% greater tensile & shear properties than a UN Coarse thread and a UN Extra-Fine thread has 15% greater tensile & shear properties than a UN Fine thread.  That was a criteria set by the ABC Joint Industrialization Council back in 1912!

In the ISO (metric) thread system, an ISO Fine thread has a (roughly) 3% in tensile or shear properties than an ISO Standard (or Coarse) thread.  Further, an ISO Standard thread must be used with a threaded insert in low-shear materials whereas a UN Coarse thread was designed to work with low-shear materials.  The ISO system began being defined 35 years after the ABC system (which, in turn became: ASA/CSA and UN systems).

I was able to tabulate relative male- and female-thread shear areas (i.e. pull-out strengths) for every UN thread from #0 (.060 major diameter) through 1.500 inches along with a lot of other useful data in just 5 total pages.  Until the allowance & tolerances for metric threads are unified, I shan't even attempt that task.  My best estimate is that such an effort today would require more than 125 pages to tabulate.

And you do not want to get me started on that most useless of units, the Newton!