Author Topic: Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder  (Read 3787 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder
« on: November 28, 2013, 06:22:10 AM »
 Hi Guys

This project was completed last year, and has been an on off build over several years. When I came to final assembly and testing the slit bores in the castings had sprung, and pinched on the bars.  So it was impossible put on a cut.  I made brass shims to ensure a nice sliding fit, and fitted double cotter locks where required. I found the wheel head height adjustment awkward to use, I built and retro fitted a Bonnelle type adjuster, which made the machine much easier to use. I have sharpened 60 or so end mills and slotting drills, using Myford collets in the work head. I am very pleased with the machine, and have learned a lot from the build. Should anyone be looking for a challenge, this is it. The Bonnelle Tool and Cutter Grinder can be built without castings, and drawings can be downloaded.             Cheers David

Offline Fergus OMore

Re: Quorn Tool and Cutter Grinder
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2013, 07:31:52 AM »
Nice job. I learned the hard way when my earlier efforts with an original Westbury mill head did exactly the same and  had to be hand scraped. My effort, a Mark 1 has cotters- and is not split.

One of my mates- long gone, actually fabricated his. My Quorn is literally under the bench as the Stent( a fabricated one)- is easier to set up.

Lots of improvements were made by a Philip Amos- now deceased are described in MEW

Kind regards

Norman