Author Topic: Needed a Gorilla's Arms !  (Read 3971 times)

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Needed a Gorilla's Arms !
« on: December 23, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
I wanted to use some existing 8 mm bolts to mount something inside the Traub CNC lathe - only problem was I couldn't reach  round the cabinet doors to hold a spanner on both sides - so how to proceed accepting that no help was to hand and removing the door would be a major pain?

This is the issue:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
Re: Needed a Gorilla's Arms !
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 09:14:04 AM »
Then I hit on what I think is a brilliantly simple solution - rare earth magnets. Hang a ring spanner on one side, glue it to the cabinet with rare earth unbelievably strong magnets and get on with life.

Worked superbly, so I pass it on for use by others in the future  :ddb:

Andrew
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »
You cunning devil

I though my man ( Baldrick ) had the cunning plans

Stuart

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 12:30:44 AM »
Brilliant Andrew. My wife was once asked by a neighbour what I did in my shed. Her answer, "Not sure, but if something goes clockwise he makes it go anti-clockwise."  :Doh: I THINK she was telling him that I sometimes tend to make things do what I need rather than what they were intended to do. (Not always successfully I might add.)
   Your imaginative use of the magnets seems to me to show how members of this group think around the corner of that much overused, "Outside the box." expression. :bow: Help, I just added to it's overuse. Bad John  :hammer: Bad.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
One of the joys of the forum is that when you do something like this, you can tell someone who will appreciate it.

That sort of solution can make your day.

Jim

Offline jb3cx

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 01:20:11 AM »
Fantastic idea ,I olso have some of those magnets,I was machining the con rods out for my loco the other day on the bridgeport mill ,started to use the coolant,and it was going all over the place ,as it was coming off the cutter ,so after sitting on the stool and drinking tea and a smoke and more tea ,looking about the workshop ,to see what I could do about it ,then the plan came to me .i cut the top and bottom off a plastic pop bottle ,slipped it over the quill cut a hole in the side for the coolant hose ,
I was going to use some zip ties to keep it in place ,then I got my eye on the magnets ,so used 4 of these ,fired the mill back up full blast on the coolant ,fantastic no mess ,cutter ,and job nice and cool,
I knew these magnets would come in handy one day , :D

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 04:02:25 AM »
Such simple little components. With so many uses.......

My lathe motor shrouding, (from an ice cream tub), is held in place by 3 magnets.  :thumbup:

Thanks for the tip Andrew!  :clap: :clap:

David d
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!