Author Topic: Chester 626 mill  (Read 4686 times)

Offline kayz1

Chester 626 mill
« on: October 22, 2013, 04:02:51 PM »
Hi all, just got my new 626 mill home and in the shed did a little bit of a clean up but just had to put some volts into it :dremel:
I have had a little read of the ( Manual ) Ha! and can not find any info on the power feed and Dro plus light.
Problem ( too late to ring Chester up ) the power feed, Dro and light do not work until the spindle is powered.
Would this be correct?
Cheers Lyn.

Offline RussellT

Re: Chester 626 mill
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 08:25:23 AM »
Hi Lyn

You're getting on faster than me,  I've still not got your old mill in place although I have made some progress.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:39:52 PM »
Hi Russell, was thinking of you the other day as i now have a few little jobs to do on the mill.
I pulled the cover off the back of the mill today and followed the wires around,,the power goes
to the on/off switch and the to the motor ans transformer, so that is why i do not have any volts
until the spindle does it's thing....can't be right that..will look for the 240in tomorrow and move the
transformer feed.
  Lyn.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 06:02:46 PM »
Whether right or definitely wrong you cant use it as is.
Do you loose zero on dro when powered off?

Shame got the same power feed on my Super Lux and always had trouble with the transformer at inopportune times. Chester useless on this, what I had didn't match their wiring and didn't go through the fuse. Had to hard wire power feed in with no on/off switch going via the fuse. Colour codings different too.
Cant help at moment got a bench leg in the way of transformer box so cant open the door. Mines shorted a few times even with the holes and joints taped up, swarf finds its way any where.

Better if could use main on/off to power machine, light, dro and power feed

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 08:40:43 PM »
You mean you bought a brand new mill and you can't even switch it on? Now that's gotta be a new low in QC!

I thought I had QC problems a couple weeks ago when I bought a new keyless drill chuck and R8 to JT-33 adapter spindle as a package, and the Jacobs spindle taper had 7 thou runout.

Hope you get it sorted.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 12:08:06 AM »
On my mill when it stoped working it was because craftex used the cheapest fuse holder they could find which didn't make contact to power anything might be worth a look.

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 05:20:22 AM »
Hi Lyn
           Both the power feed and light on my Chester 626 machine work independent of the machine spindle.
                                                              Cheers David

Offline RussellT

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 08:26:51 AM »
As I understand it the DRO and lamp are optional accessories which presumably means they were fitted by someone in the UK.  It seems the Chinese are not the only people who have problems with quality control.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, 04:07:43 PM »
Thanks for all your replys chaps, i think i may not have explained the problem correctly so i will try again.

The DRO, light and power feed do not work unless the spindle is turning..i checked out the wiring again today
and the 3 above items are wired from the transformer, ie, the power feed is 110v the light 24v and the DRO
is wired to the 220v out puts from the transformer. The power to the transformer is taken from the motor
feed off the start button..
Did a test with a bit of cable to feed the tranny from it's own plug and all works ok, but waiting on Chester getting
a wiring diagram.. SO: no spindle no anything else at the moment.. Ow! and the y axis display jumps around even
with every thing locked  :doh:  e-mailed them to say about that as i did not want to talk to any body just yet :wack:
Going to bolt it down in the morning...Ow! almost forgot, you will like this..put the keys in the table door turned and
pulled..nothing so pulled a bit harder...door fell off :doh: :doh: welds broke on the top hinge but would still not turn
so i pulled the door off and will make new hinges...tis a good job i have retired and have time....I hope :thumbup:
Lyn.

Offline kayz1

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 04:34:23 PM »
l][/URL]

Just picked it up.
][/URL]

After a hard days work.
[/URL]

the power panel

[/URL]

Offline kayz1

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, 04:37:50 PM »
Turminals 5 and 6 bottom row come from the main on/off switch, the bottom set are doubled up the outter pair go to the transformer and the top pair go up to light the motor up.. terms 1 and 2 are live in and down to the breaker.