Author Topic: Tangential Insert?  (Read 4372 times)

Offline sparky961

Tangential Insert?
« on: October 13, 2013, 10:31:33 PM »
That's about my best guess for these things I found in a couple bins of odds and ends I picked up at a sale.  One of them seems to be a blank, with the ends flat.  While the others seem to be sharpened as turning tools.

They're magnetic, but seem much more like carbide when tested on the grinder.  I'm not entirely sure what they're made of.

I have some ideas on making a holder for these, but curious to know what these are intended to fit into.

Offline SwarfnStuff

Re: Tangential Insert?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 02:28:29 AM »
They don't look right for tangential inserts Sparky, the angles are all wrong. My tangential stuff has a diamond shape when looking at the end of the bit. Sorry, no clue as to what they may be. But other members might be able to offer the information you seek.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:58 AM »
Hardened steel gib key cut up into bits...?     :scratch:   :scratch:
George.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 09:17:13 AM by mechman48 »
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 09:01:35 AM »
They're magnetic, but seem much more like carbide when tested on the grinder.  I'm not entirely sure what they're made of.

Cobalt (the most common binder for Tungsten Carbide) is ferromagnetic, so is Nickel which is also used as a binder.

Sorry no idea what they are/were for though...

Offline sparky961

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 12:39:56 AM »
Thanks for the magnetic tidbit. That one had me very puzzled.
Still unsure what they are but pretty still sure they're meant as turning inserts.  I guess I'll just make up a holder how I think it should look... :-)

Offline sparky961

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 12:42:29 AM »
They don't look right for tangential inserts Sparky, the angles are all wrong. My tangential stuff has a diamond shape when looking at the end of the bit. Sorry, no clue as to what they may be. But other members might be able to offer the information you seek.
John B

They are indeed diamond shape. I guess the pictures don't show that well.  What do your holders look like?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »
Get them in a good light then photograph w/ macro straight on, and put the image into a graphics program and enhance contrast. Read the markings and then do an internet search for them.

Here's the best I can do with the photo you included, but you can do this much more effectively with a better lit shot, from straight on.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg