Author Topic: De Valliere H140 Lathe  (Read 18653 times)

Offline Depaugie

Re: De Valliere H140 Lathe
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, 01:35:58 AM »
Hi again,

here's my post to "Usinages"

http://www.usinages.com/post651178.html#p651178

From what I can see, there compiling a list of De Devalliere owners, a photo of the makers plate and some information about where you are might be appreciated.

Regards, Matthew

Hi Matthew,
I am living and working in Dublin, Ireland and I have a small workshop.
The work I do is mainly repair work and small projects.

Mostly sheet metal work but all tools are very necessary as you know.
I have the usual hand folder, hand knife 1metre long, hand corner notcher ( soon to be 'air operated') , pedestal spot welder 'Armless' ( more work), fly press, welders, drills, small mill, ect.

so thats where my lovely Devalliere H 140 F will live.
I notice that there is no 'cross slide detachment unit ( sorry I don't know the name of it)
I was wondering if there was any parts available ?
And any other information would be gladly received, what oils to be used?

Here are some photo's

Offline mattinker

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »
Hi,

I'll post the photos, could you send me another photo of the makers plate, to my personal email, mattinkeratyahoodotcom, any size, without the glare that makes it un readable!

Are you talking about the tool holder? There was talk in one of the threads about what size quick change tool holder to use on the 140. A photo of the cross slide would help identify your needs!

Regards, Matthew

Offline mattinker

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 05:30:00 PM »
Hi,

a couple of replies about the change gears. If you have a look, on usinages some photos have been posted. They are asking if it's an imperial or metric lead screw. I would have thought Imperial, by the date, but I don't know how an when Ireland went metric!

Let me know, regards, Matthew

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »

Hi Mattinker,
this is a Metric machine.
the gears are 40; 50; 60; 65; 70; 90; 95; 120; 127.
I have changed the oil in the headstock and noticed the 'oil deflection plate' is missing.

After searching 'Usinages" site I found a post on this plate with dimensions, so I will make one, although I think some of the guys don't think it necessary.
Next for oil is the saddle apron, I'm wondering if I should strip it down to inspect/clean?

Having run the motor, the control levers are making more sense to me now.
 The 3 jaw chuck seams to be original, I am just wondering if its possible to get replacement inside/outside jaws from Ladner in France or where ever.
Stamped on the face of the chuck is
Puteaux
120 D14
Acier
Its a 160 dia D 1-4    type chuck.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2013, 06:52:29 AM »
Hi,

Google is your friend, a search for "ladner chuck jaws" , Lardner is at the top of the list. Why do you want to buy new jaws, are they missing or worn?

here's my latest post about the change wheels.

Regards, Matthew.

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2013, 01:44:40 PM »
Hi,

Google is your friend, a search for "ladner chuck jaws" , Lardner is at the top of the list. Why do you want to buy new jaws, are they missing or worn?

Regards, Matthew.

I suppose I phrased that badly.
 What I meant  was, after  nearly 40years can you still get replacement chuck jaws for that Specific  chuck?
I don't know what state the outside jaws are in, but i would like an inside set.

Offline mattinker

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2013, 03:20:21 PM »

Hi,

Regards, Matthew.

What I meant  was, after  nearly 40years can you still get replacement chuck jaws for that Specific  chuck?
I don't know what state the outside jaws are in, but i would like an inside set.
[/quote]

Go to their site and find out! They've been in business making chucks since 1905. They may well still make their own model of chuck!I was attracted to the fact that they make Pratt and Bernerd replacement chuck jaws, I'll have to see whether I can get a set of outside jaws for my chuck.

I asked why you wanted to change the chuck jaws, as even with new jaws, you still have wear in the chuck it's self. If your chuck is bell-mouthed you might have better results from regrinding the jaws. I ground the inside of my chuck using an electric drill mounted solidly on the topslide. Somewhat like in the article below.

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/aug04/aug04.html#truing

Just a thought! Regards, Matthew

Offline Depaugie

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2013, 12:50:39 AM »

Hi,

Regards, Matthew.

Go to their site and find out! They've been in business making chucks since 1905. They may well still make their own model of chuck!I was attracted to the fact that they make Pratt and Bernerd replacement chuck jaws, I'll have to see whether I can get a set of outside jaws for my chuck.

I asked why you wanted to change the chuck jaws, as even with new jaws, you still have wear in the chuck it's self. If your chuck is bell-mouthed you might have better results from regrinding the jaws. I ground the inside of my chuck using an electric drill mounted solidly on the topslide. Somewhat like in the article below.

http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/news/aug04/aug04.html#truing

Just a thought! Regards, Matthew
[/quote]

thanks for the link to the article Matthew, i'll check the chuck out when i have finished cleaning and oiling the lathe.
i'll contact Ladner re outside jaws.