Author Topic: Mystery tool ?  (Read 12149 times)

Offline micktoon

Mystery tool ?
« on: October 09, 2013, 06:47:28 PM »
 I have had this tool lying around for years , I can not even remember where I got it from, probably a car boot sale ? I have shown it to a few people that collect tools etc and no one has a clue what it actually is, it could be from any trade and the small notch cut out at the far end of the 'blade' right hand side ( just visable )  may have been not original and added later ? 
  It looks old and is of general good quality it has no makers marks at all, its iron with wood handle and brass ferrule, its well made , the edges are not sharp and the 'blade' part is sort of a triangle section, the underside of what you see is flat.
 Any ideas anyone ?

If anyone wants more info or more photos just ask.
 Cheers Mick

Offline Bigbadbugga

• Whiston (nr Liverpool)
Re: Mystery tool ?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:52:54 PM »

My guess?

It's for bailing straw, the blade is pushed through the bale and the notch hooks twine so it can be pulled through.

Or in a similar manner to tie bales to a trailer for transport.
Tools: Boxford CSB lathe, Chester 20v mill, Portamig 185. Lots of ideas, No motivation.

lordedmond

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »
Cheese sampler ?

Stuart

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 03:17:28 AM »
 Not really long enough for even the small hay or straw bales, anyway the twine goes round rather than through a bale. I was going to say it's for stitching Hop bags before they get sent to the brewery - certainly for piercing and sewing something that is fairly coarse and deep. Could even be for stitching wool 'sheets' (actually sacks with very wide mouth) used when shearing sheep.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 04:34:37 AM »
Similar, but a bit too big to be a Fid!?  :coffee:

Offline ausdier

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 10:55:23 AM »
What about a tool for seperating rope/wire rope to be able to splice it or back splice it ? :scratch:
Something similar to what I saw once being used by someone who used to do large wire rope splicing.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 11:28:33 AM »
Somehow I suspect that this is possibly originates from- a wait for it laddie :bugeye:, a French Napoleonic bayonet.

There is one way to find out- oh, yes. Take it up to the Bagpipe Museum in the Chantry in Morpeth. to test it against chanters of Highland or Half Long bagpipes.

And no, I'm not out of my tree. That was the British use of these items!

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 02:23:05 PM »
What about a tool for seperating rope/wire rope to be able to splice it or back splice it ? :scratch:
Something similar to what I saw once being used by someone who used to do large wire rope splicing.

In 40 years in the steel wire rope industry I never saw a splicing spike (or fid) with a posh wooden handle.

Fergus' bayonet theory has possibilities looking at the groove that could be a blood channel ( I couldn't think of a less gruesome way of putting it)
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 02:33:41 PM »
The shape of the handle suggests to me that the tool is intended to be both pushed and pulled.

Surely someone here can tell us awl about it?   :lol:   :lol:   :lol: 
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline chipenter

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:49:48 PM »
It looks about the right length for thatching but I don't suppose there are any thatchers on here .

Jeff
Jeff

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:47:49 PM »
That handle looks very similar to the one on my cabinet style phillips screwdriver, and seems opposite what almost weapons call for as a grip. Would a person palm it in combat? Think of your required arm position back behind your ear, or underhand at your thigh, and easily deflected and knocked away unlike a haft grip. Also no guard.

Better an ice pick, drill, awl, tapered reamer, skewer, or tapping device. That type of handle is designed to amplify a twisting motion of the hand.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline micktoon

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 04:04:48 PM »
Evening all , well still no positive ID, I have looked up the thatching tools before and its does not look like anything they use, an old saddler has also said its nothing they use. I thought the rope type splicer tool sounded good but it looks like that has been ruled out too by Anzaniste .............. I think it looks like it is designed to be , pulled , pushed and twisted.
 The bayonet resemberlance has been mentioned before, maybe its been made out of an old bayonet but it must still have been made to do a job ?  ................... Sooner or later someone must know what it is for sure ..........I hope  :scratch:

Cheers Mick

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »
Doughnut reamer ???

Dave
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 04:17:48 PM »
Mick,
        If the thing is not identified, perhaps you could contact me. I'm going down to Knuston Hall with my wife in the near future. I'll have a word with the woodworker.

As far as I know, however, there seems to be little or no thatching there at present.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:39 PM »
It's for fitting the cord in Parka hoods.

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 10:08:10 AM »
Punching holes through heavy stitched canvas making a hole for bronze grommets in sail making.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

I've just finished watching the Antiques Roadshow which contained a painting of a Captain Kirk of the Militia- holding a rifle and three flute bayonet.  Perhaps it is worth a further look.

Regards

Norman

Offline BillTodd

• Colchester Essex (where the lathes were made)
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 04:51:51 PM »

I've just finished watching the Antiques Roadshow which contained a painting of a Captain Kirk of the Militia- holding a rifle and three flute bayonet.  Perhaps it is worth a further look.

Regards

Norman

After a second look, I wonder if it could be a repurposed bayonet blade too:)

As to use now, thatching seems most likely. I'll ask my neighbour, who used to be a thatcher, when he gets back from holidaying.

Bill
Bill

Offline Fergus OMore

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 06:27:00 PM »
With a bit of luck, we will be at Knuston Hall shortly but I'm still favouring the bayonet. I've done a bit of sailmaking and tentmaking and - no, not that. There is no sense in a fluted bodkin unless it was something else.

Regards

Norman

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 02:50:30 AM »

Regards

Norman

I thought Captain Kirk used a phaser or photon torpedo  :scratch:

Seriously though I've seen old cabinet makers screw drivers with similar handles, traditionally they made their own tools as part of their apprenticeship I wonder if that is what it is just a screw driver made from and old bayonet.

Stew 
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

Offline Arbalist

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 06:19:23 AM »
Whatever it is I think it's purpose made. I don't think it was ever on the end of a rifle as it's too heavily built for that.

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 04:44:40 PM »
Gentlemen, on a different track, looks like this tool is designed as a hand implement, a Poleaxe of some sorts perhaps, used by front line foot soldiers of yore to bring down Knights on armored horses, or used in the earlier style of slaughter house.
  John

If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 05:05:13 PM »
One question that might produce a helpful hint of the purpose is, how were the edges sharpened? Is there any evidence of asymmetric sharpening? That might favor a drill, reamer or awl. A symmetric edge would favor a puncturing tool, weapon, or butchering tool. A flat edge would favor something used as a fid or needle.

One other thought...the handle may have been added later and whatever it was originally, re-purposed. That would help the weapon theories explain the odd hold, at present.

More fuel for the fire:

Ice pick, or re-purposed fence ornament.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline JD

• Gosport Hampshire UK
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 05:25:44 PM »
If this tool has been re-engineered could it have been on the end of a long pole?
If you cant fix it hit it with a bigger hammer

Offline micktoon

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 05:46:14 PM »
Evening all , thanks for all the interest in the mystery tool, a few good ideas but every time someone comes up with a good idea of what it could be , someone else says 'no its not one of them'  :palm:
  I can post more photos but a few points about the tool, The edges are not sharp so does not look like reamer or drill , I think the best suggestion so far (even though it has been said its not one) is the rope splicing idea, I could see it doing the job in twisting through the rope segments and even hooking a twine back through, so I think it would work as this type of tool and maybe someone made it out of a bayonet ?.................. but the handle looks worn and used yet the blade is not worn and polished smooth like you think it would be if it had been pushed through rope again and again  :coffee:
 So its still a mystery tool at the moment so keep guessing lads  :thumbup:
  I have heard from one person not from the forum who says he may know what it is and seen one being used but is checking before he says more ....... he wont say more at this point but is quietly confident...................... he worked in the weaving mill trade.
 Cheers Mick

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
My Uncle was a thatcher in Ireland and I used to work with him when I was a lad over a summer holiday but I never saw anything like that.
Typically thatchers would sharpen both ends of a length of stick say 750mm long and twist it in the middle to make a U or V shaped nail and nail one lot of straw or reed over the next, I never saw him using tying wire or twine.

Offline Bangkok Mick

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 09:49:12 PM »
There is a groove in it similar to a bayonet so application for piercing meat is a high possibility, there is also a hooked end that could be used for pulling a thread or wire back through a hole and a push/pull handle, could it be a butchers implement for sowing up large cuts of meat?