The Shop > Finishing

Home Anodizing Bench

<< < (7/9) > >>

TLGriff:
The commercial dyes have a much smaller particle size than fabric dyes. That means more can fit in the pores of the anodizing, resulting in a more intense color. They also hold their color better in sunlight than fabric dyes.

I use a commercial nickel acetate solution for sealing.

Tom

Jonny:
Having a lot of trouble again with pro anodisers, inviciles., If want something doing right, do it yourself.

Pretty much gave up anodising in 2005, really hit and miss after a lot of trial and error. Lucky nowadays, it was hush hush even back in 2002 with about three sources of info, they all told porkies nothing worked.

Quite right on the dye, tried everything I could get my hands on eventually going to Midland Dykem in Leicester for the pro stuff using a fish tank heater/thermometer.
Never tried the pharmaceutical dyes.

Just used a 4ft x deep 18" high fish tank and a small 12", back lined with lead. Could even do hard anodising in the winter!
Because I have a lot less room than you Tom it was permanently setup other side of partition. Son must have knocked the tank early 2006 gallons of sulphuric 19% flowed out, rotted the doors in a few weeks even after hose pipe jobby.

Got the same black PSU when my twin output digi went down.

Main problem was electrical breakdown, wire wouldn't have it so used aluminium wedges filed up for each use. Ti never tried.

Nine years on even less room

Jonny:
Going to have to give this another go again Tom the anodisers have done me over twice since last post.
Yesterday 50 mile round trip 4 hrs lost/wasted to pick up 10 high value parts, got 7 back and was needed for a show today with implications from distributors.

Trouble is I have no room, its finding some where to put my coffee down.

A few things are going to have to go.

TLGriff:
We have the same problems with the "pro" anodizers around here. Dowel holes out of spec., lost parts, mismatched colors. I got a batch of parts back last month that were three shades of blue, had to mix and match to pair them up. You are right, the only way to get it done right is to do it yourself.

Tom

johnnyboy:
Really excellent! thanks for showing me that...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version