Author Topic: removing chuck from battery drill  (Read 8095 times)

Offline Pete49

removing chuck from battery drill
« on: September 13, 2013, 11:29:49 PM »
fellas I need some one to explain how to get a chuck off a battery drill. I have an old on ready to bin and just before I do I need the chuck from it for a project. Having watched Bobs refurbish of a chuck I thought it would be simple but nope its not. When you look into the  chuck there is a screw that appears to hold the chuck to the spindle and that's where I am stuck. As it is a forward/reverse drill which way to turn the screw?? any ideas? Its a an old Arlec 18v with a clutch for increasing/decreasing the torque
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline chipenter

Re: removing chuck from battery drill
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:46:07 AM »
The screw on the inside is usually left hand , and the spindle is right so that they lock , the head is often chewed up so good luck getting it out or drill it .
Jeff

Offline daz

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 02:37:14 AM »
with great difficulty!
We have around 100 cordless DeWalt and Hilti drills at work that I have to repair and maintain. When they get knackered I strip them of good parts to be kept as spares, the only part I don't keep is the chuck, just because I can never get the damn things off. If they come into the workshop because of a busted chuck I don't even bother trying to replace them now, just rip the parts out and bin the rest.

What size and type of chuck are you after? I have some brand new ones for the DeWalt drills that will never get used now, we are slowly replacing them with Hilti as the DeWalt qaulity is dropping too much. Earlier this year we bought in 50 new ones, within 4 months 40 of them have broken down with either a burned out motor or knackered trigger switch. They are now being replaced with Hilti which we are getting a good deal on because of the quantities we buy. They are more expensive to buy in, but they come with a 3 year warranty which also covers the batteries. If one of them breaks we call Hilti and get a reference number, they come in and pick up the unit and either repair or replace it, they then bring it back to us. If we are desperate they will give us a loan drill while we are waiting for our own.

If I have the type of chuck you want I can send you one? FOC of course, just help with the postage?

I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 06:26:29 AM »
I agree that the screwinside the chuck is left hand thread, and can be a b--ch to get out! I have used an impact driver, the type that you hit with a hammer. Sometimes you luck out. I have saved the motors and chucks from several defunct drills, corded and cordless.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline PeterE

• Gothenburg
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 09:35:43 AM »
I had trouble some time ago myself. It was not until after I had removed the head of the screw I understood it was lefthand threaded  :(  The head simply sheared off. Furthermore I understood that it had been secured using screw-lock with something like Loctite as well.

My screw was new so the head was not damaged which meant I got a very good grip otherwise the head would not have sheared I think.

If the motor is buggered, it would be useful to try a impact driver to loosen any glue or corrosion bonding.

BR

/Peter
Always at the edge of my abilities, too often beyond ;-)

Offline Pete49

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 11:09:58 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I'll have at it in the morning.   :nrocks:
Daz thanks for the offer but I just wanted to get it off the drill before heaving it over the left shoulder. The motor I removed as they can be very handy. :thumbup: I tend to use them for odd things like when I had to replace my faceting machine motor I used a 24v dc I pulled out of an old photo copier with a variable speed control from a drill and its a good one.
I'll let you know what happens :)
Pete

Offline David Jupp

• Teesside - UK
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 12:13:40 PM »
There is a short article on the Jacobs web site which covers this subject http://www.jacobschuck.com/hammer-drill-chuck-removal.asp

Offline Pete49

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 12:19:18 AM »
Thanks to all the help here I got it done  :nrocks: I then utilised it a bit later as I ran into trouble elsewhere. I posted that in another part of this great forum. I agree they must use Loctite or something but I managed to drill the shaft out. 
Pete

Offline krv3000

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 02:29:25 PM »
hi well sos on being late the scruw is left handed and they do have thred lock on them the tool you need to remove the chuck it self is one of them ruber strap oil filter removing tools and a thin spanner to fit on to the drill shaft if the drill is scrap just butcher the drill and grip the shaft in the vice and remove that way i will do a post on haw to with pics 

Offline d-moncrief

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 11:11:01 PM »
A trick that I use is to chuck up a brass tube and then use a drill bit to drill the screw head off.
You may need to clean out chips and if you are really lucky the screw will spin out.

dan

Offline Pete49

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:38:09 PM »
Thanks Bob will look forward to that.
Pete

Offline GordonL

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:25 AM »
In the past I have removed the chuck (after the holding screw is removed) by chucking a piece of hex stock and then using an impact wrench to loosen the chuck itself.

Offline Bill Stupak

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »
A method I have used many times is to first remove the left hand internal screw (this is usually the hardest part) Then chuck up the largest allen 'hex' wrench you have, then give the outboard end of the wrench a mighty counterclockwise thwack with a mallet. Works every time.

Stu

Offline RussellT

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 07:08:57 AM »
One thing to remember is the the screw is pulling the chuck to the shaft and that if you can tighten the chuck that should loosen the screw.

A friend brought me a drill that he'd been struggling with for a while.  After trying the left hand screw I put the chuck key in (not a keyless chuck obviously) and gave it a whack with a mallet to tighten it.  The screw then came out easily.  Another whack on the chuck key with the mallet removed the chuck.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.

Offline krv3000

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, 06:25:45 PM »
hi as promist sum pics of haw to  remove a drill cuchk from a battery drill  not all chucks on thes typs of drill are the same fitment ie sum scruw in to the chuck sum scruw in to the drill sum on the drill shaft have two flats for a spaner to fit and sum dont on the inside of the chuck wher the retaning scruw gows sum have a spline cut in sum have a hex cut in and sum don't and the type of retaning scruw can very too the type that is fited to this mack of drill is a slot heded scruw find a good fiting scruwdriver to fit the scruw then titen the drill chuck up not to tite just a litel to help suport the scruwdriver then un do the scruw left handed they are all left hande if the scrue is pruving to be stuben as they are fited with thred lock as standed i find this metherd works for me get a drift ie a punch that sits on the head of the scruw nice then give the drift a good smack with a hammer then have a nuther go once the scruw is out as menchend befor fit a alenkey in the chuck titen the chuck up on to the key then with the hammer smack the alenkey the chuck will then un scruw  right pics 

Offline Pete49

« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2013, 09:26:20 PM »
Thanks Bob for the pictures makes things easy  :nrocks:
Pete