The Shop > Metal Stuff

New metal Prices

(1/3) > >>

Darren:
I've been looking up supplies for some metal stock as I really should start using some normal stuff.

I've notice that mild steel is about the same price as aluminium......can that be right ?

Surprised me.... :scratch:

John Rudd:
So at the risk of diluting this thread....

where do folk buy their materials from?

I've used M-Machine in Darlington, FES down in Kent and Macc Models in err..wherever they are...

I've also bought material at great cost from Fleabay...( never again if I can help it..)

Oh and I've bought stuff at Harrogate..

Any good suggestions bearing in mind I'm a cheapskate Northerner...

raynerd:
If you can make your way down to RDG tools in Mytholmroyd nr Hebden Bridge they have an excellent selection of off-cuts apparently purchased from BAE so it is good quality stuff. You buy it by the Kg and I think it is about £5.50-6.00 for both brass and ally. It is all off cuts but they have some huge lumps there right down to smaller bits, mainly round and plate, a little square bar and very little hex. I think postage smashes the price up but if you can get into the shop you will miss all that.

That being said, if you can get down to RDG tools it is WELL WELL worth a visit. I have no affiliation, just a happy customer. They use to have a place in Hebden Bridge, a little shop and now they have moved into a warehouse it is amazing. They have nearly all their stock on display in little trays across the warehouse. It is like a pick and mix for us! They also have quite a bit of shop cleared equipment as well as some big Bridgeport Mills and Myford lathes normally in stock. Well worth a drive up, it is not like you have to ask for what you want to look at - I often spend a good hour in there routing around and talking to the guys who run it. Anyone else been - have a bigged them up too much?

Chris

John Hill:
Metal stock is a problem for me as there is very little manufacturing in this area,  I can buy silver steel and key steel from the local tool shop and I guess I can get a variety of stuff from the scrap merchant.

Earlier this week I walked past a place that installs fire sprinklers and noticed they had a nice pile of short offcuts of thick wall water pipes by the door.  I made a fuss of his albino boxer dog and he let me have all I could carry away!

bogstandard:
2 squid to 2 squid 50 per kilo at my local yard for brass and ali, plus bronze. All usually good quality offcuts, but you need to be there at the right time each week, before they send it all to the smelters. I don't mind buying larger diameter or sizes of materials and cutting it down to size, it always works out a lot cheaper than buying it from retailers.

Good quality steels (in proper racks, not offcuts), usually under 50p per kilo. I can get a good sash weight for my cast iron for about 30 to 35p, if I ask my man to save them for me when any come in.

ALL metal retail outlets are a rip off, no matter who or where they are. They charge the maximum amount they think they can get for it. I only ever use them if there is something I can't get at the scrappies, but even then, I look to see if it is cheaper to buy from the metal wholesaler. You can usually get a 13 foot length of steel for the same price as they charge for a couple of feet in a retailer, and they will cut it up for you to get it into your motor. I have just bought 80 lengths (just over 18" each one, 120 feet) of stainless small diameter rod (2.4mm) for just over 20 squid. Purely by looking for different types of suppliers, in this case, welding supplies.

Finding materials is an art form, and most of it is actually free, or if you are willing to do a bit of trading, either like for like or one off jobs not worth charging cash for. Usually just opening your mouth and asking will get people piling the stuff onto you, just to save them a trip to the local tip. Just sort it out, keep the good stuff, and do a tip run yourself when you have enough junk to get rid of.

Bogs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version