Author Topic: Gloves in the Workshop  (Read 23181 times)

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Gloves in the Workshop
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Not so much skiing as dragracing cars, motorbikes and... other contraptions. Protip; dont roll em over.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I started working in machine shops (at age 13) in 1966.  My hair has been long enough to braid (plait) since I was 11 (it grew too fast to maintain in "short" form).  Unbraided, my hair falls somewhere between my shoulder blades and waist.  Few people have ever seen my hair unbraided.

In the early-1970's the "shag" haircut was in vogue.  A shop manager who wore a "shag" cut was telling me how dangerous my long (braided and stuffed down the back of my shirt) hair was.  He leaned up against the turret of the mill (pulled way forward and tilted outward to make an angle cut) and his "shag" was grabbed by the belt and pulled out a couple of square inches of hair and a bit of skin.

I was working in a shop in Germany (also in the early-1970's) when an inspector who was wearing a tie leaned over the lathe a couple down the row from where I was working.  It caught on something, hauled him in, and snapped his neck.

On the converse side, when I was an apprentice it was rare to see a journeyman machinist will all ten digits.  It was even worse in the lumber mills (Everett, Washington, USA was a timber and pulp & paper town in those days).  The accidents that caused many of those lost digits have been made rare by Occupational Health & Safety regulations.  Yes, safety is an attitude more than anything else.  Yes, there are ill-considered regulations.  But I remember well the days when I had to climb down chipper clean-outs without a lock-out device on the starter for said devices.  They were arranged such that somebody could "bump" them and fire-up the chipper.  The guy who did that "job" before me was killed that way.  Small shops were never really a problem, but large companies run by bean-counters only changed their policies when forced by the threat of fines and jail time.

I have been working with sharp objects spinning and moving at high speed for (almost) 50 years.  I have been working with corrosive and highly-exothermic materials for nearly as long.  The Cowboy after OSHA cartoon (popular in the late-1970's) was satire rather than reality.  There were several projects I quit rather than work under managers who would not allow me to stack the odds of my being uninjured in my favor.  Such a manager today would be fired (and possibly fined and/or jailed) -- which falls in the good things category in my book.

To be fair in the other direction, I lived through the several iterations of catwalk kick-board safety devices.  There was a learning curve associated with them.  It was enough to drive a system's designer out of what was left of their mind making the changes as the various conditions under which the rules had to operate were accounted.  Ditto for handrails.  Today we (at least here in the U.S.) have a nice 11 page checklist for everything associated with workstands, catwalks, stairs, and ladders that is easy to follow and has (virtually) eliminated the accidents and injuries associated therewith.  Most States (here in the U.S.) have Labor & Industries departments that will work with you to mitigate problems (the exceptions to this statement are quite obnoxious) and dangers.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
Well, we live in a over cautious society..           (personally 34 broken bones totally in my lifetime)  :doh:

Don't know for sure myself many a time never went to hostpital, we got on with it back then.

No ones mentioned lack of feel wearing any form of gloves.
If worried about dirty pinkies offer to do the washing up and save face.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
Washing up -what is that?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
Not a 'modern man' then Chris?  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
To be fair, I was just joking. I know what it is.... I`m just "not very good". I've managed to build a clock but getting my head around using the iron and washing machine - they are just too complex.  :Doh:

:ddb:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
Chris

I'm sure that little lady of yours will be quite happy to teach you how to wash and iron clothes. I bet she would even throw in some free lessons on washing dishes. Its a good way to get the hands clean and keep mama happy.  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
Have her teach you to knead bread - it works much better.  :lol:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:06 AM »
The secret with washing up is very simple: Be very enthusiastic, keen to help, and drop the occasional fragile item. You'll find you'll be sent off with a cup of coffee and told to sit down out of the way - works every time.  :thumbup:

As for clothes washing - again very simple: make sure that you put her bright red knickers in with the whites, and the resulting pink sheets will get you positively banned from using the washing machine.  :ddb:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
I find vigerously washing my hair gets the dirt out from under my nails. I'm sure you could find hair elsewhere to shampoo if you're not blessed with a thick head of it.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »
... if you're not blessed with a thick head of it.
What do you need helmet for? :)

Pekka

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
It keep's the hand from slipping off the end!   :palm:

Offline Jonny

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
I`m just "not very good".                  using the iron and washing machine - they are just too complex.

What have I started here, politely put but your amongst friends here tell it the way it is.
Sheds your place, kitchens hers.