Author Topic: Gloves in the Workshop  (Read 23184 times)

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
    • Raynerds Projects - Raynerd.co.uk
Gloves in the Workshop
« on: September 21, 2013, 04:57:56 AM »
Hi guys
I`ve watched a number of videos now where engineers have been wearing gloves. I presume this can only be to keep their hands clean? I`ve never bothered with them and remember reading somewhere that it can be dangerous if they catch or snag in machinery and drag your hand into the machine.

I`ve tried barrier cream but forget to put it on as I often don`t think it is going to be a messy job before its too late!

I`m pretty sure this has come up before but what gloves do you guys wear?

My job isn`t engineering and often have to point at work and use my hands quite close up in front of others and have to admit, that oily hands can be pretty minging and impossible to properly clean!!!

Chris

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
Re: Gloves in the Workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 05:07:03 AM »
I use thin mechanics gloves of reinforced cotton (the type with rubberiziation on your hands) but not when im operating the lathe, more for plasma cutting, abrasive sawing, etc etc, i use heavy welders glows when tig or mig welding.

When running the lathe i use nitril glove if i need gloves. Mainly cuz they keep the sharp shards out of my hands.. And they rip easily if they are snagged on something. When running the mill i tend to use a thick cream on my hands mainly cuz the coolant irritatets the hell out of my hands otherwise but i dont dare to use any type of gloves running that machine.. Its way to easy to get snagged on something.

And when running a beltgrinder - NEEVER use gloves, holy crap it went south very fast.. Finger tip snagged onto the belt, ripped the glove of my hand and forced it between the table of the grinder and the belt in a split second i didnt have time to react even.. Im just glad my hand wasnt dragged into the belt. (homemade beltgrinder, no safety stops or covers or anything to prevent injuries)

In the end i think i have about 5-6 pairs of specialized gloves and one pair of "generic" ones. Mainly cuz im tired to pick out sharp steel needles or aluminium needles out of my fingertips in the end of the day.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 05:13:09 AM »
Chris,

I wear four different types of gloves in the workshop!

1/ Nitrile (unpowdered) 'surgeons gloves for general use using machines. I took to using these when I was still doing consultancy work and had to be 'presentable' when meeting clients which general workshop activity tends to work against!

2/ 'PU' gloves when dismantling / re-assembling stuff - particularly biggish nuts & bolts where the Nitrile gloves get torn:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/24-Pairs-Of-Brand-New-Black-Nylon-PU-Safety-Work-Gloves-Builders-Grip-Gardening-/181035416873?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=&hash=item2a268d3d29

3/ 'Rigger Gloves' when moving heavy stuff around - saves bruised knuckles

4/ Welding gloves for (obviously) welding !

I find increasingly that I tend to use the PU gloves more and more outside the workshop - driving the tractor for instance, as the occasional greasy linkage tweak is needed.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 05:46:21 AM by awemawson »
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 05:24:33 AM »
Its the PU ones i use as well (didnt know their name) for handling most stuff that usually custs straight through your hand or ordinary gloves.. you get palm sweat from those though  :palm:
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 05:54:56 AM »
DO NOT WEAR GLOVES WHILE MACHINING
My mate was only drilling a 1/4 inch hole when his glove got stuck in the drill
It pulled the end of his index finger off just leaving the bone poking out

A bit graphic i must admit
But this is what happens and it happens very fast
This lad has worked with machinery for 40 years
He just forgot to take his gloves off
I hope this post has not offended any one but on the other hand i hope it stops you from wearing gloves with machine tools

Offline garym

• Manchester, England
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 05:58:32 AM »
Hi Chris,

I use blue nitrile gloves like these http://www.broschdirect.com/pdfs/Gloves/AQL15/gl890-spec.pdf for general machining work to keep oil off which tends to irritate my skin. They are a bit dearer than latex but I think slightly stronger. I find that like awemawson I wear them more and more now, even for things like washing the car (yes I'm one of those strange individuals that still washes the car by hand with a bucket of water). For heavier work I use DeWalt Gripper gloves which I really like. I take the gloves off for using the bench grinder (safety) and hacksawing (ripping).

Gary
Workshop activity resumes now ankle improving :-)

Offline ChrisC

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 06:26:19 AM »
Gloves and rotating machinery are normally not a good idea.  I do wear the thin Nitrile ones when using the lathe or mill, on the basis that they are weak enough to tear rather than drag your finger into the rotating work.  Having said that I had a narrow escape when a drill caught on a nitrile glove a few years ago.  The glove did tear, but there was enough of a tug on my finger to make me stop using them anywhere near anything rotating, and I certainly wouldn't use them on the drill press anymore.

The other problem with Nitrile gloves is that they tend to "wind up" when you turn the handles on the lathe or mill.  You can avoid that by lightly oiling the outside of the gloves once you have put them on... it doesn't need much, just a trace of oil prevents them from sticking to the handles.

Chris

Offline DavidA

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 06:38:35 AM »
The only time I wear gloves is if I am going to be using a solvent of some kind.  Then I wear them to prevent the solvent (paraffin,  IPA, Methanol) from causing my skin to de-grease and crack.  Methanol is also a neuro toxin,  so it isn't advisable to get it on your skin.

Also,  at work I wear rigger gloves when cleaning the swarf from around the machines.

Otherwise,  swarfega or tufanega make a good job of removing the grime.

Dave.

Offline daz

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 06:43:47 AM »
Hi Chris,

I use blue nitrile gloves like these http://www.broschdirect.com/pdfs/Gloves/AQL15/gl890-spec.pdf for general machining work to keep oil off which tends to irritate my skin. They are a bit dearer than latex but I think slightly stronger.

Another reason for not wearing the latex is that some people can have severe allergic reactions to them and in severe cases can cause anaphylaxis.
I tend not to wear gloves unless I know my hands are going to be covered in oil or grease for long periods or if I am using solvents etc.  I never use them while machining for the same reason as the graphic pics above, but I do use thick leather gloves while welding or using an angle grinder. I wish I had been using them last year when I got by finger trapped in the log splitter with the bypassed two hand safety device :doh: Yup that was painful!
Other than that I tend to use barrier creams a lot
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 08:46:28 AM »
I've found that welding gauntlets won't do anything to stop an angle grinder cutoff disc. I still wear one on my left hand to keep the sparks off my knuckles, but for the right hand I like having the tactility to operate the switch easier (and in a hurry).

I got lucky one time touching a cutoff disc when the grinder was slowing down. The guard rattled loose and was contacting the wheel, so I ended up touching it trying to pull the guard away after switching it off. Even going slow the thing cut instantly through the glove and came close enough to my finger to clean a spot of dirt off.

Offline daz

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 09:08:19 AM »
I took the guard off my grinders :bugeye:
it helps to get in some tighter spots, which is why I always use gloves with them. They have saved my fingers a few times. One important piece of safety kit I got myself recently was flame retardent overalls. I was doing a lot of heavy grinding with a nine inch wheel and wasn't paying attention to where the sparks were going. As it happens they were concentrated on my left shin and I now have a boiler suit and a pair of jeans with a large burn right through them, not to mention a nice scar on my leg :(
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 12:42:52 PM »
If I remember, I wear cheap blue or white vinyl gloves (like latex, only cheaper, I think they are the same as nitrile). They tear very easily, so the missing finger problem should never occur. For welding/grinding/holding hot things off the lathe - welding gloves.

Since I mostly forget to put my gloves on until I'm already covered oil, grease, swarf and general dirt, I rather rely on Swarfega Orange (the one with bits in), which I have in a wall mounted dispenser above the sink. 2 squirts of that & some elbow grease is usually enough to restore normality.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 04:06:08 PM »
Cheers guys, interesting discussion.

John - what type of gloves was your pal using when it pulled his finger off?

Chris

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
He was wearing Kevlar gloves
He has dermotitus and had just been using a hack saw
It was just a second of not thinking
John

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »
I think a lost finger out ways dirty hands in my case then!  :-(   

Offline sparky961

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 09:34:19 PM »
This is always a heated topic and I probably don't need to add my own two cents, but I agree completely with one of the first posts from Awemason.  Wear a glove suited for the job!  At work and in my home shop I wear thin nitrile gloves for a few reasons:

1. Keep chemicals from contacting my skin (eg. coolant, solvents, protective oils, etc)
2. Keep most slivers from entering my skin (You'd be amazed how these can cut down those tiny ones you can hardly see let alone pick out)
3. Prevent some cuts - I generally gash a glove before it does in my skin.  Sometimes it does both if I have a lapse of attention
4. Keep my hands clean.  No, I'm not a wuss... I don't have a problem with dirty hands, but I can't count the number of times a day I switch from dirty shop jobs to using a computer and I prefer to use a clean keyboard, mouse, pen and telephone.  I can either wash my hands with the gloves on to save on waste if they're in good condition, or strip the gloves off and have immediately clean hands for clean work.  Especially in the winter this helps keep my skin in decent shape, which can start to dry and crack with too frequent hand washing.

Concerning safety, the way I see it the nitrile is weak enough that it just rips to pieces if caught on any sort of rotating shaft or the like.  But really, if your hand is that close to something rotating with any part that could grab your glove than you're doing something WAY wrong.  Keep your hands away dammit!  I will absolutely not wear any sort of "durable" or "strong" glove when working with mills and lathes due to the "pull your hand in" phenomenon.

Offline Pete.

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2013, 04:31:55 AM »

My job isn`t engineering and often have to point at work and use my hands quite close up in front of others and have to admit, that oily hands can be pretty minging and impossible to properly clean!!!

Chris

Chuck out your fancy washing machine and get an old twin-tub. Do your own washing on a Sunday evening - nice clean shiny hands for work tomorrow :)

Offline mechman48

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »
NEVER,NEVER ...   :wack:   :wack:  wear gloves, or jewellery, not even a watch, when using ANY form of rotating equipment...let common sense prevail,

George (Tech.IOSH).
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 08:54:29 AM »
NEVER,NEVER ...   :wack:   :wack:  wear gloves, or jewellery, not even a watch, when using ANY form of rotating equipment...let common sense prevail,

George (Tech.IOSH).

I've taken worse injuries from the safety equipment on my  mill, than I ever took from the mill itself... I'd only put the guards on to stop wax swarf from spreading all over the workshop (you can really lay on fast cuts with wax - a 3" mill running at 2600rpm taking a 1/2" cut doesn't half throw some swarf about), gashed my arm on them twice reaching up to shut the mill off. So I took the buggers off and put them on the floor, I've tripped over them several times now, think they'll be going back on eBay, damn dangerous if you ask me.

My watch saved me from a broken wrist one time when I forgot to remove the the spanner from the mill drawbar. It's amazing how fast those things accelerate. The watch never did work again.

I'm not saying wearing watches, jewelry, long hair, floppy sleeves, etc. is advisable, most of the time it is not, but I cannot equate the blanket "never ever ever wear this stuff" to "common sense", because it just plain isn't. In fact, it's the opposite of common sense, it's ignoring common sense & just blindly taking precautions against risks that just aren't there.

The only time I ever came close to getting sucked into the lathe was when wearing  lab coat. Not the sleeves, it was the hem that got caught around the screwcutting/apron power shaft; fortunately, I felt it starting to tug, and was able to just pull back away from it without indicent. Could have easily lost a leg there.... (not).
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline John Stevenson

• In Memoriam
  • Nottingham, England.
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 09:03:35 AM »
Gloves are fine on machines just don't get them in the bloody machine in the first place.
I read these "got grabbed by the gloves " post regularly, so don't wear gloves and would you ten put your pinkies in there ? 
Answer is no so just look what you are doing.

BTW thank you Mr Mawson, those PU gloves are far cheaper than the ones I'm buying at the moment, just ordered a bundle to check them out.
John Stevenson

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 09:23:07 AM »
 :lol: :lol: No problem John - just send a credit to my paypal account   :lol: :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 09:45:51 AM »
John i think the big issue here is that people are getting to comfortable around their machines and well "stop" tooling with their hands instead of just waiting for it to have stopped by itself.. and other common "im in a hurry" issues that would come up. =)

Offline Pete.

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 10:42:08 AM »
The 'gloves getting caught' stories are horrendous, but thank fully few and far between so it's no guarantee. Gloves are mandatory in my work and I have worked with high-powered drilling equipment for more than 20 yrs and still have all my bits attached.

Let's face it, if someone invented crossing the road today it would likely be made illegal on safety grounds.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2013, 12:30:43 PM »
 :lol: Crossing the road.. :poke:  :lol:

Well, we live in a over cautious society.. But sure accidents happen to some more often than others.. (personally 34 broken bones totally in my lifetime)  :doh:

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »

best give up the skiing then :lol:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2013, 01:01:56 PM »
Not so much skiing as dragracing cars, motorbikes and... other contraptions. Protip; dont roll em over.

Offline Lew_Merrick_PE

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:33:50 PM »
I started working in machine shops (at age 13) in 1966.  My hair has been long enough to braid (plait) since I was 11 (it grew too fast to maintain in "short" form).  Unbraided, my hair falls somewhere between my shoulder blades and waist.  Few people have ever seen my hair unbraided.

In the early-1970's the "shag" haircut was in vogue.  A shop manager who wore a "shag" cut was telling me how dangerous my long (braided and stuffed down the back of my shirt) hair was.  He leaned up against the turret of the mill (pulled way forward and tilted outward to make an angle cut) and his "shag" was grabbed by the belt and pulled out a couple of square inches of hair and a bit of skin.

I was working in a shop in Germany (also in the early-1970's) when an inspector who was wearing a tie leaned over the lathe a couple down the row from where I was working.  It caught on something, hauled him in, and snapped his neck.

On the converse side, when I was an apprentice it was rare to see a journeyman machinist will all ten digits.  It was even worse in the lumber mills (Everett, Washington, USA was a timber and pulp & paper town in those days).  The accidents that caused many of those lost digits have been made rare by Occupational Health & Safety regulations.  Yes, safety is an attitude more than anything else.  Yes, there are ill-considered regulations.  But I remember well the days when I had to climb down chipper clean-outs without a lock-out device on the starter for said devices.  They were arranged such that somebody could "bump" them and fire-up the chipper.  The guy who did that "job" before me was killed that way.  Small shops were never really a problem, but large companies run by bean-counters only changed their policies when forced by the threat of fines and jail time.

I have been working with sharp objects spinning and moving at high speed for (almost) 50 years.  I have been working with corrosive and highly-exothermic materials for nearly as long.  The Cowboy after OSHA cartoon (popular in the late-1970's) was satire rather than reality.  There were several projects I quit rather than work under managers who would not allow me to stack the odds of my being uninjured in my favor.  Such a manager today would be fired (and possibly fined and/or jailed) -- which falls in the good things category in my book.

To be fair in the other direction, I lived through the several iterations of catwalk kick-board safety devices.  There was a learning curve associated with them.  It was enough to drive a system's designer out of what was left of their mind making the changes as the various conditions under which the rules had to operate were accounted.  Ditto for handrails.  Today we (at least here in the U.S.) have a nice 11 page checklist for everything associated with workstands, catwalks, stairs, and ladders that is easy to follow and has (virtually) eliminated the accidents and injuries associated therewith.  Most States (here in the U.S.) have Labor & Industries departments that will work with you to mitigate problems (the exceptions to this statement are quite obnoxious) and dangers.

Offline Jonny

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 03:22:23 PM »
Well, we live in a over cautious society..           (personally 34 broken bones totally in my lifetime)  :doh:

Don't know for sure myself many a time never went to hostpital, we got on with it back then.

No ones mentioned lack of feel wearing any form of gloves.
If worried about dirty pinkies offer to do the washing up and save face.

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2013, 03:49:28 PM »
Washing up -what is that?

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2013, 04:05:32 PM »
Not a 'modern man' then Chris?  :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline raynerd

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
To be fair, I was just joking. I know what it is.... I`m just "not very good". I've managed to build a clock but getting my head around using the iron and washing machine - they are just too complex.  :Doh:

:ddb:

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2013, 09:08:21 PM »
Chris

I'm sure that little lady of yours will be quite happy to teach you how to wash and iron clothes. I bet she would even throw in some free lessons on washing dishes. Its a good way to get the hands clean and keep mama happy.  :D :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2013, 09:13:36 PM »
Have her teach you to knead bread - it works much better.  :lol:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2013, 03:35:06 AM »
The secret with washing up is very simple: Be very enthusiastic, keen to help, and drop the occasional fragile item. You'll find you'll be sent off with a cup of coffee and told to sit down out of the way - works every time.  :thumbup:

As for clothes washing - again very simple: make sure that you put her bright red knickers in with the whites, and the resulting pink sheets will get you positively banned from using the washing machine.  :ddb:

Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
I find vigerously washing my hair gets the dirt out from under my nails. I'm sure you could find hair elsewhere to shampoo if you're not blessed with a thick head of it.

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2013, 08:10:53 AM »
... if you're not blessed with a thick head of it.
What do you need helmet for? :)

Pekka

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 03:05:46 PM »
It keep's the hand from slipping off the end!   :palm:

Offline Jonny

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2013, 04:12:07 PM »
I`m just "not very good".                  using the iron and washing machine - they are just too complex.

What have I started here, politely put but your amongst friends here tell it the way it is.
Sheds your place, kitchens hers.