Author Topic: Sidewheeler project log  (Read 8690 times)

Offline richard orr

Sidewheeler project log
« on: September 29, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »
Howdy from Arkansas.
I have been building a 39' sidewheel steamboat for about 17 yrs. and am closing in on the project. The boat will steam with a home built  12" x 11" double acting grasshopper steam engine. The boiler will be a low pressure monotube modified Lamont design. We are going to take a trip up the Mississippi R.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:15:36 PM by Brass_Machine »

Rob.Wilson

Re: Sidewheeler project
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 12:53:36 PM »
Hi and Welcome Richard  :wave:

Just one thing  :poke: :worthless:  :)

Rob

Offline dsquire

• In Memoriam
  • Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 12:59:59 PM »
Richard

Hi and welcome to MadModder. I see that you have picked a very ambitious project. We would certainly enjoy learning more about this build as well as some photo's.  :D :D

Cheers  :beer:

Don
Good, better, best.
Never let it rest,
'til your good is better,
and your better best

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 05:43:23 PM »
This I gotta see!

And welcome, Richard!   :beer:
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline richard orr

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 06:11:27 PM »
Gotta get the wife's help on the loading process...but pictures a comming. Check back later.

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »
I'm hangin' in here for the pictures.

Jim

Offline richard orr

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
Here are some pictures

Offline krv3000

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »
Hi and Welcome Richard

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2013, 06:27:17 PM »
Nice garvey bow, Richard, what's the beam?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline richard orr

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2013, 06:42:33 PM »
 Thank you and hello to you all. No attempt at being fancy here. Hull is made up of two flat bottom pontoons 4 foot wide and set two feet apart to produce 10 foot beam. Hull is designed to haul loads at 8 m.p.h.  Bottom is two layers of 3/8" ply with an 1/2 "  oak skid plate beefing up the bow section.

Offline richard orr

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »
Here are some pics of the first engine which I learned to machine on.  I didn't want to tackle a Stephenson link system as I didn't know how to do some of the machining processes. I wanted to make a slip eccentric but it had to reverse without stopping the sidewheel and so I came up with a design of my own that reverses by dropping a pin while on the fly.

Offline richard orr

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 08:16:14 PM »
Building of the Dragonfly is a long story and pretty weird to boot as hull started out as a 40' St. Piear dory. Yes, had the side up and was fairing off when the newely weded wife decided she wanted a piece of land to found a family on....And so in the spirit of compromise a buch of expensive ply came down to become possible cabins (shudder) on possible land.  We'll skip a lot of story here as it didn't add up to anymore than one big stop sign  When the camera fades back in we're still landless and back to plan A only by then plan A had turned into a steamboat the operation of which was going to be on a certain lagoon I had lived on down in Belize. this plan was reviewed and given the green light by the Belizian minister of tourism ...and that's how searious I was.
 Back to the house...there was   only  12 feet between the postage stamp hovel we were living in and the next house. Couldn't figure out how to get anything in there to help turn over a ten foot beem hull so the Dragonfly became two 4 foot hulls that friends and I could turn by hand....Told the new wife at the begining of this project that it would only take a few months. Ha, ha and ha!

Offline richard orr

Re: Sidewheeler project log
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:24 PM »
  Basicly, after taking a short introductory class at the local tech college, I was allowed to use the machines but was kinda (voluntarily) on my own. Reason being the teacher there was an increadable character... a mad genious of a machinest who couldn't approach a question with a straight answer to save his life,   but rather had a penchant for laying out  miles of colorful, metaphore filled stories before getting to the point. It was always very intertain. That was on his good days. On his bad, he had  a tendensy to throw down his hat and stop around by way of an answer.  So most of my machining questions were answered by myself smiply by conteplateing deeply into a coffee cup.
   One of the early challenges  I had to solve for was  designing a slip eccentric. A Stephinson link designe is pure genious, but not without complicated trade-offs of it's own. To me, there's just too much metal flopping around to get the job done and I reasoned that the relationship of this particular engine to the hull would tend to require the engine to opperate at a long cut-off most of the time anyway. Being as the type of slip eccentric that I had in mind required having to stop the engine in order to shift, presented a delima.
   The problem is that the side paddle wheel would not want to stop while underway without the complication of a brake mechinism so I had to contrive  an eccentric that would shift on the fly.The solution presented itself with the idea of going about things in reverse. Rather then stopping the engine and slipping the eccentric around to reverse position, the eccentric is stopped and the crank rotates around to position .
  The motion of the slip eccentric is simple although it's components look complex and it's lines harken back to the victorian moteif.  Basicly  the eccentric  attaches onto the back of a large valve hand wheel which freewheeles around the crank shaft.  The hand wheel / eccentric is all held in place by a  pivoting , spring loaded  A-shaped pin-capturing piece that looks like the Eifel Tower ( The spelling of which is probably as far off as France is to Quebec ) The Eifel Tower  (shall we say) pivots on the axel that is held in place by a piviting arm fixed to the crank shaft. This in turn captures either  one of two pins that cause the eccentric to be in forward or reverse relationship to the valve. By actuating a lever off to the side, two things happen:  1.  A wooden brake shoe ingages the hand wheel and stops it  spinning just at the exact  moment that.... 2. An  adjacent nylon striking wheel trips the eifel tower and causes it to dump a pin fixed to a plate that is attached to the hand wheel. Once the pin is dumped, the eccentric simply stops in place while the crank rotates the rest of the show around to the reversing pin. The one drawback is that the engine has to be throttled. But that's o.k. Throwing a bunch of heavy motion at full ahead suddenly back in to reverse is kind of a mean way to treat metal anyway.