Author Topic: New Chester lathe  (Read 4575 times)

Offline daz

New Chester lathe
« on: September 12, 2013, 01:30:34 PM »
Got myself a new Chester DB11vs lathe :D
Got the plinth welded up for it today, then got the stand and tray mounted. With the help of a couple of extra bodies the lathe is now sited and ready bolted down. But before that I have to get rid of all the rust prorection and make sure everything is oiled up. Gave it a wee test run to check everything is working as it should but haven't made any chips with it yet, that will have to wait till tomorrow after I check everything is level.
First thing I will be doing is fitting a QCTP, then aquiring a set of collets and a decent knurling tool. I have been looking at cut knurls but the toolholders are just too expensive for me to justify at present  :(
Also really looking forward to learning how to thread on this thing, I tried it before on the old clark CL500 or whatever it was but never managed to get a decent thread (most likely my fault!)

Anybody else got one of these or similar that can share any mods or experiences of the machine?

(before any of you start, pics to follow shortly)

daz
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:18:25 PM by dsquire »
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline Deko

• In Memoriam
Re: New Chester lathe
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 05:35:41 PM »
I have had a Chester DB10VS for nearly 3 years now and am more than happy with it.  Only mod I have done is to fit a QCTP.  I hope yours is as trouble free as mine has been. :thumbup:

Cheers Dek. :med:

Offline daz

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:21:25 PM »
So far so good, I checked the sheet in the manual where all the accuracy figures have been put in and signed for by the fatrories QC. There are a few I don't understand but the ones I have checked so far have proved accurate enough so no reason to doubt the rest.
Carried out my first mod today, but you will have to wait for the pics. I shall also apologise in advance for the chaviness of it. I recently installed some 12v LED lighting in a container at work, it is outside and would have cost too much to run a new cable to so I decided to buy a car battery and some flexible LED's. I had a short length left over, around 6" and a 240 to 12v dc supply from an old laptop kicking about. So I soldered the PSU onto the LED strip, stuck some heatshrink on and stuck it inside the chuck guard via some double sided tape. It works fantastic and gives off a nice clean light.
I promise to get some pics tomorrow at work.

Hopefully the QCTP shall turn up tomorrow, then I have to modify it to fit. Wont know until I get it what I have to do, but I doubt it will be that complicated.

cheers for now.

daz

Offline daz

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 06:18:54 AM »
The QCTP turned up at last and is now fitted. I don't know the correct way to fit one of these so I just copied what was on the original. It's basically a long bolt with a flat disc 21mm in dia on the bottom, the disc fits in a recess. But the original was too short and thin to be used on the new one, so I had to make my own. I chucked up a piece of 28mm dia steel and using the steady in the tailstock I turned down to create the disc, 21mm dia by 4mm thick. Then came the laborious task of taking the rest down to 14mm. When I came to thread it I found the thread on the new QCTP was 14mm x 1.5, is this a strange thread size? I couldn't find a die with the same pitch, only 2mm. I have never cut a thread with a lathe before, I have made several attempts on the old Clarke but never pulled it off. So after a quick google and a good read in here I pulled out the change wheels and spent an hour figuring out how they worked and how they went together. Then disaster!!! The bolt that holds one set of gears on stripped its threads. I found a shoulder bolt that was just about ok to use as a temporary measure, so I swapped all the gears again, cut off the crap threads from the bolt and after putting it in the chuck I faced it off, drilled and threaded for M6. I loctited a stainless steel screw in place and cut to length, then went for a coffee while waiting on the glue to cure.
Back to changing the gears again and my temporary glued in bodge worked a treat.
I must say that I thought cutting a thread was going to be really difficult if not impossible for me, but thanks to all the reading and some patience I managed to cut my very first thread :D
I was really pleased with it, and myself! Next I had to remove the topslide and drill out the hole to 14.1mm to take the new bolt. I also drilled a hole in the disc as per the original and then drilled through to the topslide to fit a roll pin and stop it turning when tightening up the nut. Once fitted together and squared up I drilled through the underside of the topslide and into the new QCTP, again I fitted a roll pin to stop the QCTP from moving off square.
Everything was then cleaned up and all swarf removed, fitted it all together, mounted on the lathe and checked with an indicator  :clap:

I was having a think on what to do with the original 4 way tool holder and then remembered a project that I never got round to starting. Problem here is that square things don't go in 3 jaws very well, and I had never used an independent 4 jaw chuck before. Oh well, you'll never learn until you try. So after fitting the chuck I spent the next hour trying to square the old tool post in the chuck, AAAAGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Back to google and 20 minutes later I was ready to start making swarf. Turns out to be quite easy as long as you follow a set procedure instead of going round in circles.

Sorry for the poor pictures, only had my mobile to hand and it doesn't take a good picture.

I had some 12 volt LEDs left over from another job and kept them aside thinking they would be handy for something. I rigged them up to an old laptop power supply and heatshrinked the soldered joints, stuck them on with some double sided tape and now I can see better  :clap:

New toolpost

old toolpost ready for modding

Can you tell what it is yet?

Best thing is I have learned two new skills, both of them essential in my opinion, more so the independant chuck. I can see that staying on the lathe until I can use it quickly and without thinking.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 09:20:48 AM by daz »

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 09:01:02 AM »
Hi there, Daz,

I can't see your pictures - please could you check your set-up?
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline daz

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 09:21:19 AM »
any better?

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:24:42 AM »
Hi there, again, Daz,

Yes indeed, that's fine now, thank you.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!