Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

A junkyard lathe and mill tool grinder

<< < (2/13) > >>

vtsteam:
It get's worse, Jeff:

I remembered I had a  bench sander that I picked up a while ago at a tag sale. Thinking that this might be something I could use with the new jig to grind tools I dug it out.

[/URL]

vtsteam:
I knew the belt sander part's table casting was broken. And I already have another belt sander that I use, but I had bought this one for spare parts or another project. A dedicated sharpener seems like a good cause. Here's the broken piece:

[/URL]

vtsteam:
I decided I just needed the disk sander part, so I cleaned the motor up, and plugged the sander in -- it worked. I held a little fine sandpaper against the disk to clean it up:

[/URL]

vtsteam:
I had an 80 grit sanding disk -- the adhesive was a little old so I sprayed the back with a little 3M 77, let it dry  some and then stuck it on the aluminum disk. I found the guard, but none of the fasteners for it. Luckily they were SAE sizes and I happened to have 1/2" 10-24's for base screws, and even a couple of 1/4" carriage bolts to fit the square holes for table support pivot bolts. Mine were too long as seen in the photo, but a couple minutes with a hack saw and a file and they were shortened to size:

[/URL]

vtsteam:
Then I mounted the disk sander table, and put a 1/4" lathe bit blank in my new sharpening jig. It turned out that the original socket head cap screws I  had were too short for this size lathe tool, and I didn't have any longer screws of that type on hand, so I used some round head screws temporarily.

I tried out the new tool grinding jig for position. Pretty clear it wasn't going to work as-is. The rectangular mounting plate that the tool holder sits on interfered with the guard and the disk itself. You can just see it against the guard in the photo. Also the whole jig needed to be moved back further.

I'll make a different table tomorrow to fix the problem.

[/URL]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version