Author Topic: Help Finding Lathe tool holder  (Read 6693 times)

Offline ibuildstuff4u

Help Finding Lathe tool holder
« on: September 08, 2013, 10:38:22 PM »
Guys, I have a nice tool holder that came with my CNC lathe and I really want to find another one for my manual lathe so I don't have to keep swapping it back and forth.  I tried searching the web, but haven't found anything like it.  The tool holder is for a DCGT or similar insert and the shaft is 12mm by 12mm or .500 by .500 .  The tool holder that I have is cut down in length so i'm sure the new one will be longer, just as long as the shaft width is around 12mm. 
Here are some pictures.

Thanks for the help!
Dale P.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
Re: Help Finding Lathe tool holder
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 10:55:44 PM »
Appears to be an Iscar product:

http://www.iscar.com/
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Anzaniste

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:04:55 AM »
Scrooby, 1 mile south of Gods own County.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 12:19:57 AM »
Thanks for the help!  I like the Glanze products, but cant seem to figure out if my inserts will fit their 12mm holders.  I have 20 of them and hope to find a holder that uses them.  My inserts are 11T3 which I think are the same size as the 32.51 inserts.  After a lot of web searching it seems like there are two different numbers due to different makers of the inserts and holders.

If they fit I will order these.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300899779774?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

I sent the seller a message to find out what size inserts the holders use, but I think they are smaller than what I have.

Dale P.

Offline daz

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 03:33:59 PM »
check cromwell tools! pretty sure you will find that in there.
I'm not a complete idiot, some bits are missing!

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »
The inserts you have are DCGT they are the same profile as the common DCMT insert the D denoted they are aluminium inserts. looking for a tool holder to take DCMT inserts will be much easier.

The tool holder you want is- SDJCR1212  :thumbup: I have an identical tool as your and run both DCMT and DCGT inserts in it.

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:00:27 PM »
Yes I under stand DCGT and DCMT are the same shape, but don't they make different sizes of inserts meaning the cutting length?  What is the difference between a 32.51 and a 21.51?   My inserts are listed as a 11T3 for size (which I think is the same as a 32.51) so I'm not sure if that will fit in the 12mm tool holder.  To me it looks like the 16mm Glanze tool holder is for the 11T3 inserts, but who knows.

Dale P.

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2013, 03:22:13 AM »
I have no idea what 32.51 and 21.51 are! They are not part of any standard insert spec that I know of.

11mm inserts will not fit a standard 12mm mm shank tool, they tend to use a 7mm insert. I know the glanze tools use a 7mm insert in the 12mm shank, there 16mm+ shank of the same tool takes the 11mm insert.

you will struggle to find a small tool that takes such a big insert! I can Remember for the life of me were my 12mm shank tool for the 11mm inserts came from!

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2013, 08:28:25 AM »
Have you tried contacting Iscar and giving them your tool holder's model number? From what I can see, it's written on the side of your tool holder. They seem to use the 08-3 designation, unless that's standard.

Also found this re. 32.51:

The first of the three numbers, 3, is the diameter of the inscribed circle (I.C.) in eighths of an inch, = 3/8 = .375". The inscribed circle is the largest circle you could draw that fully lies within the border of the insert (the circle is tangent to the edges.)

The second of the three numbers, 2.5, is the thickness of the insert in sixteenths of an inch. So this insert would be 2.5/16 = 5/32 which is about .156".

The third of the three numbers, 1, is the nose radius in sixtyfourths of an inch, so 1/64 which is about .016". This is a measure of how sharp the corner of the insert is.
Steve

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 09:02:03 AM »
Using that system 32.51 = 11 T3 04    in ISO.
Steve

Offline The Steamer

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 04:39:57 PM »
Using that system 32.51 = 11 T3 04    in ISO.

makes perfect sense in ISO, Never seen it the other way though this side of the pond. That's something new ive learnt today  :smart:

Offline ibuildstuff4u

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
Ok, this is great.  I love learning new stuff and now I understand the different ways that these inserts are listed.

Vtsteam, in your first post you mentioned that you thought it was an iscar product and I thought you were just looking at the pack of inserts in the photo which are iscar inserts.  The numbers were worn pretty well on the tool holder but I was able to make out SDJCR-08-03 and your right the tool holder is make by iscar.  I found some on line but they want $100 or more for one.  After some searching I found a web site with a knock off holder for $44.00.  I will have to order some next week.

Thanks for all the help guys!  I was really hoping that Glanze had some holders that would work as I like their quality and price, but it looks like there holders will be too big for my lathe.

Thanks again for all the help, Dale P.