Author Topic: Finding a part off blade & bandsaw blades  (Read 5227 times)

Offline colin563

Finding a part off blade & bandsaw blades
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:50:46 PM »
I've looking for a part off blade 7/16 high hss spent the last couple of hours looking with no look

It's to fit a qctp Myford type

I'm also just going to purchase a new bandsaw from warco I think the 4 1/2 version

We're would I got reasonable priced blades for it not sure what size I need but I'm thinking of 14tpi bimetal
Warco are £29 which I think is a bit expensive

Thanks Colin

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
Re: Finding a part off blade & bandsaw blades
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 07:03:18 PM »
The warco website says that bandsaw takes a 1615mm 1/2" thick blade.

Axminster sells metal cutting bandsaw blades  for £20 at 1640mm, which i'd imagine should fit.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-premium-metal-cutting-bandsaw-blades-prod876241/

They also sell budget blades. I'm not sure if there's really any difference between woodcutting and metalcutting blades, except maybe going for the finest tooth pitch possible. I've bought some of these blades for wood and I think they're great but i'm not sure how they'd hold up cutting something tough like steel.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-high-carbon-bandsaw-blades-prod876133/

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 02:12:45 AM »
Hi Colin.

I have one of the Dixon q/c toolposts on my lathe. Including the dedicated parting blade holder.... 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RDGTOOLS-QUICK-CHANGE-PARTING-TOOL-HOLDER-FITS-MYFORD-QUICKCHANGE-DICKSON-/290817662650?pt=UK_Home_Garden_PowerTools_SM&hash=item43b6155eba

It's the best parting tool I have ever used, on my lathe.......

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline colin563

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 06:29:12 AM »
Thanks for the replies

S heslop sorry I couldn't see the size for looking I think I've found a bandsaw blade supplier

A company called tuff saws bi metal blade from them is £15.95 plus  p&p

Stilldrillin it's a blade I'm looking for I bought this holder a while ago

It came with a couple of other bits just the blade size seems odd compared to my others
Just can't seem to find a hss. Blade to fit it anywere at 7/16 high

Thanks colin

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:59:25 AM »
I have the Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw which I think is the same as the Warco. It was a revelation to switch from the cheap HF carbon steel sawblades to the usual bimetal 10-14 variable pitch. MUCH longer blade life and it really cut well through steel.

However, my recent experience trying to cut through 2" or 3" wide blocks of aluminum were very poor. Took forever. Even with coolant to help remove chips, etc. Results were so poor that I took to melting down thick aluminum into ingots for castings , rather then try to cut it on the saw to use as is. I assumed the saw just couldn't deal with heavy sections.

Not sure what was wrong. Could have been the particular blade, I suppose. Anyway, out of curiosity I switched to a Harbor Freight cheapo 10 pitch carbon steel blade, and suddenly it began to cut right through the thick aluminum like the bi-metal cut steel.

Since I had 3 of these HF blades, unused, and just taking up space, I'm quite happy to get some use out of them. The plan is therefore to use the bi-metal most of the time, but when cutting heavy aluminum sections, switch to the HF carbon single pitch blades.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 11:42:50 AM »
I have the Harbor Freight 4x6 bandsaw which I think is the same as the Warco. It was a revelation to switch from the cheap HF carbon steel sawblades to the usual bimetal 10-14 variable pitch. MUCH longer blade life and it really cut well through steel.

However, my recent experience trying to cut through 2" or 3" wide blocks of aluminum were very poor. Took forever. Even with coolant to help remove chips, etc. Results were so poor that I took to melting down thick aluminum into ingots for castings , rather then try to cut it on the saw to use as is. I assumed the saw just couldn't deal with heavy sections.

Not sure what was wrong. Could have been the particular blade, I suppose. Anyway, out of curiosity I switched to a Harbor Freight cheapo 10 pitch carbon steel blade, and suddenly it began to cut right through the thick aluminum like the bi-metal cut steel.

Since I had 3 of these HF blades, unused, and just taking up space, I'm quite happy to get some use out of them. The plan is therefore to use the bi-metal most of the time, but when cutting heavy aluminum sections, switch to the HF carbon single pitch blades.

There's alot that goes on in a bandsaw blade. It could be the slightly wider pitch, or maybe the tooth shape allowing for more 'storage' of chips, or maybe just that they're sharper.

These two articles with accompanying videos are interesting. I love when people make models to clearly demonstrate stuff.

http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/resaw.html
http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/squeal.html

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
That fellow is absolutely excellent giving demonstrations and training. I've come across him before. He is clear, has good models to illustrate his point, and there's not hint of 'look at me - see how clever I am'

When I was working I would have given him a job as a trainer any day, as although he is working in a totally different field, his approach is spot on and transferable across technologies.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 12:44:19 PM »
Yes he is great!  :thumbup: Thanks for the link. I've visited his website several times in the past, but didn't see those two particular articles. Wonderful models.

I've really also enjoyed reading about his father's sawmill and shop, and of course all of the shop made woodworking machines he shows, and the wood gears. A real wealth of information on his site.

I use custom sets and sharpening angles on my homemade bandsaw mill, depending on the type of wood, and how dry it is. I sharpen my own bands with a jig I made by combining a part from one commercial mill manufacturer and a Harbor Freight chain saw grinder. The bands are 1-1/4" wide and 1 TPI.

re metal blades--I don't know much about what the sets, etc. are for metal cutting blades. Just that what I've bought now seems to cover the range of of what I need to cut. I may try a different bi-metal blade just to see if there's a difference with thick aluminum. It would be nice not to have to change blades.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline mattinker

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 12:50:03 PM »

Al requires bigger teeth and more speed. The bi-metal blades are meant to run faster than the carbon steel ones in mild steel, I used the middle pulleys for the for the bi-metal 10/14 variable pitch blades. I also have 20 tpi for thin walled tube, there should be three teeth for the thickness of the metal to be cut.

Regards, Matthew

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 02:02:39 PM »
I thought that the idea of bi-metal blades was you could have the advantage of hard teeth from high carbon or alloy steels that are tempered to be hard, with the flexibility of mild (or at least lower carbon) steel for the bulk of the blade.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline mattinker

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 02:57:59 PM »
I thought that the idea of bi-metal blades was you could have the advantage of hard teeth from high carbon or alloy steels that are tempered to be hard, with the flexibility of mild (or at least lower carbon) steel for the bulk of the blade.

Exactly! They cut better and last longer!

regards, Matthew

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »
Stilldrillin it's a blade I'm looking for I bought this holder a while ago

It came with a couple of other bits just the blade size seems odd compared to my others
Just can't seem to find a hss. Blade to fit it anywere at 7/16 high

Thanks colin

Doh!  :Doh:

Sorry Colin.

I can't find any 7/16" blades either......

Mine is 1/2" high. Which seems a popular size.

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline colin563

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:11:08 PM »
Thanks for your help I've given up looking for the parting tool blade

Just placed order with warco for the 41/2 universal bandsaw

And ordered 2 bimetal blades for it from tuffsaws very helpfull person via email & half the price of warco blades

Thanks Colin