Author Topic: bench grinder refit  (Read 4544 times)

Offline krv3000

bench grinder refit
« on: August 22, 2013, 07:04:30 PM »
hi all well me bench grinder has bin making a strange a sort of sound when you first switch it on a hi pitched squeak then it wood go off at first i thought it may be one of the wheels out of balance but i put two new wheels on and still the same then yesterday the noise staid on time to have a dig in side the grinder is as old as me its a black and Decker 6 " well riped it a part all i can find was one of the Bering's had bin spinning in the housing so I'm go wing to replace the Bering's may as well wile its in bits and give it a repent went daft with the pant stripier all back to the aluminum my tips on panting aluminum well its more zinc than ally sum will say you need to use a etching primer i wood agree if it was proper aluminum but in this Case and any other smiler type of castings just give it a good sanding with 80 grit sand paper to leev the surface well ruff something for the pant to key on to and the next tip is where rubber gloves to keep your finger prints off and the next tip is wame the parts to be panted not hot just wame the pant will flow beater right pics

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
Re: bench grinder refit
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 01:57:30 AM »
Very nicely done/ explained, Bob!  :clap: :clap:

It's ready for another lifetime of service now........  :thumbup:

David D
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Offline mattinker

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 04:06:33 AM »
Hi,

the nice thing about grinders like this is there isn't much to go wrong! A couple of bearings and it'll do another life time!

Regards, Matthew

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
Hi there, Bob,

Coincidence!  My bench grinder is a Black & Decker 6" but it's quite different from yours.  The wheel guards on mine are spinnings, not cast-in-one with the end housings.

Now I've got the tin shed usable, I'm planning to make a new baseboard for the grinder to fit on the stand for another machine.  Then I'll be able to use the grinder anytime; before that, I could only use it when the weather was fine because I didn't like to use it in the workshop for fear of getting grinding dust on the lathe.
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline krv3000

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:11:39 PM »
hi all last bit i got sum new bearings and put it back to gather and she is running brill pics

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 02:17:59 AM »
Just like new!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 02:38:07 AM »
Nice paint job Bob.

:ddb: How do you fancy coming down and painting my Edwards box and pan folder   :ddb:
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:33:04 PM »
 Awemawson,  A little pinstriping, with a touch of gold leaf would be nice!

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 03:00:16 PM »
Funnily enough some wag HAD had a go at pin striping  one of the hold down levers. It was only done in black felt tipped pen but at a quick glance looked quite effective.
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline krv3000

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 05:07:18 PM »
ther is no dark art in panting if you wont a shoroom shine then her is the trade secret varnish pant as normel the longer you leev the pant to harden the beter put any wher betwhen 3 to 8 cots of pant it all depends on haw thick the pant is leev for a munth or two then sand back with fine scoch brite pad ones all the runs and brush marks are out get top qolity varnish and thin it dawn say 70 % varnish to 30% thiner and with a top qolity brush pant the varnish on you will not have a brush stroke in site and no runs and it will shine like new ther is no pont in puting the varnish on the pant with out it bin rubed dawn it will not mack it any more shiner but if you have wamd the parts up like i sed befor you will get a nice finish all inamel pants have a leveling agent mixt in to the pant  the thing that most  get rong is keep gowing over the bit they have just panted to get rid of brush marks or runs if you is geting runs you is puting to much pant on and by gowing over the same bit braces dawn the leveling agent so the pant ends up with brush marks hope this helps sum of you

Offline AussieJimG

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 05:12:58 PM »
Another "proper job". Thanks for showing Bob and thanks for the tips.

Jim