The Craftmans Shop > New from Old

FJ Edwards 4ft x 14G Box Pan Folder

(1/8) > >>

awemawson:
Been looking to replace my Gabro BF1000 folder with something more heavy duty - the Gabro is very versatile, quite light to move around but only bends 1 metre wide.

This rather tatty Edwards Box Pan folder followed me home today - by 'eck it's a heavy beast !

awemawson:
It is actually better than it looks in the photographs. Very nice heavy piece of English iron from a good maker. Complete except for the handles that raise the bit that does the folding, but they are just simple bolt on bars.

It works as it is, but I would like to get my hands on any literature, hand books, adjustment details etc if anyone has any as although most of it is obvious, the front pivoted swinging bit seems to have two ways of setting its height.

No doubt I'm going to end up dismantling, stripping to bare metal and repainting, as it's just too tatty to stay permanently in my workshop - it needs to buck it's ideas up, smarten up and behave ! (Which is why I'm posting it in this section of the forum!)

vtsteam:
Yes, Andrew, but what condition are the circuit boards in?    :)

awemawson:

--- Quote from: vtsteam on August 31, 2013, 02:05:49 PM ---Yes, Andrew, but what condition are the circuit boards in?    :)

--- End quote ---

I can confirm that EVERY pcb installed in this folder works  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

awemawson:
So, Sunday morning and a bit of time to assess just what I've got here: Close examination shows all castings are intact, the only missing bits being the handles mentioned earlier that raise the 'apron', and also I now see, a restraint bar that limits the travel of the apron so that you can do repeatable folds of the same angle. It's only a threaded bar with an adjuster so I imagine I can make one easily enough.

Apart from the grotty paint work, there is just one leg (front left) that has obviously taken a knock in the past and has bent 'under' the machine a bit. This blow also has bent the flange on the side of the leg. Material is 1/8" plate so you don't just bend it back with your fingers!

At the moment I'm thinking of blasting it back to bare metal without dismantling - not a way I'd normally do things but the bits of this folder are inordinately heavy to manoeuvre so I think it is the pragmatic way forward. It will mean some very careful cleaning off of the blasting grit round the adjustments. The various aluminium labels will come off easily apart from the 'pointers' which seem to be threaded over the shafts.

So here are the issues:

a/ Bent Leg
b/ Bent Flange
c/ Missing restraint bar

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version