Author Topic: 5C Collets  (Read 3380 times)

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
5C Collets
« on: March 14, 2009, 05:11:12 AM »
Hi,

I have 5C collets for my S&B lathe and I'm looking for the largest collet that has a through bore.
For example I have a 27mm collet that is through bored, but my next size is 30mm which is not. That is, it only accepts material to a short length and then the bore gets smaller.

So those of you with 5C collets could you take a look at them for me.
Thanks
Darren  :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

bogstandard

Re: 5C Collets
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 05:33:18 AM »
Darren,

If you have a look at a 5c collet, if you thru bored at 30 mm, the back end would most probably drop off, as you would be taking away the strength of the collet.

If you need to go larger, in a home shop environment, you would need to go to home made split collets, used in your 3 jaw. But they aren't really for a production system, just one off jobs.

John

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
Re: 5C Collets
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »
Hi John,

Yes the 27mm collet looks a bit thin at the back end, I was just wondering if all 30mm collets are like mine and also what 28 & 29mm collets are like.

I'd like to keep the part as far back in the headstock as poss whilst keeping the dia as large as reasonably possible as well.
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)