Author Topic: Measuring Sticks  (Read 4220 times)

Offline Meldonmech

Measuring Sticks
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:44:23 AM »
Hi Guys
                         These are two measuring sticks that I made up, both fully adjustable, and used for measuring in recesses where it is difficult to take accurate measurements using a tape rule.  Materials and fastenings can be what you have available.  My large one is made from an old TV mast, and I am using it to measure for replacement windows. I do have much smaller ones for the workshop mostly above  30cm.

Cheers David

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
Re: Measuring Sticks
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2013, 09:36:11 AM »
Hi David,

There's actually a name by which such a pair of sliding rods is known - a "Gunter Batten" - at least in the RN damage control world.  Never had to use them for real but have wielded them in training - great fun (?) in the DRU up to your chest in water!). There's a good description of their use here.

Dave

Offline Meldonmech

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
Hi Dave
                   That is interesting, I worked for years with a lot of guys who were ex navy engineers and the Gunter Battons were  never mentioned.
                                               Thanks for the info,

Cheers David

Offline RussellT

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 12:12:47 PM »
I was intrigued by a passing resemblance between this device and the gunter rig used on some dinghies (eg Mirror) where there are two poles used in a telescopic configuration.

Quick research via Google and Wikipedia suggests that they may be derived from the work of Edmund Gunter a British mathematician (1581-1626) although I didn't find any direct references to battens or sailing rigs.

Russell
Common sense is unfortunately not as common as its name suggests.