Author Topic: Loughborough Training Lathe  (Read 7862 times)

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
Loughborough Training Lathe
« on: August 15, 2013, 04:56:39 PM »
I have just bought a Loughborough Training lathe as it appears far more rugged than my existing Eclipse lathe. It only came with a 3 jaw chuck so I will be looking out for a 4 jaw and a faceplate. I was surprised to see the thread on the spindle when I removed the 3 jaw chuck. It is 1 3/4" Dia with a square section thread of 6TPI. Is this the standard fitting for the Raglan lathe upon which it is based or have I got some very expensive machining to be done. Here is a photo.   

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give.
Norman

I have just re-read the article on Raglan lathes in Lathes.co.uk and I now see that this is the standard Raglan thread. So now my question is does anyone know where I can find a chuck backplate and a faceplate? Thanks.

Offline 75Plus

Re: Loughborough Training Lathe
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2013, 05:56:52 PM »
Norman there is a bit of irony in your post. Perhaps the "training lathe" is about to give you a bit of training in making the needed thread. :lol:

Joe

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2013, 06:29:09 PM »
It does not have facilities for screw cutting which would make if rather difficult. If it had I would certainly be able to make my own backplate.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 09:44:47 PM »
Norman, do you still have the Eclipse? Can it cut the threads?

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline chipenter

Jeff

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2013, 06:17:41 AM »
vtsteam, unfortunately the Eclipse is sold.
Chipenter, thanks for the lead.
Norman

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2013, 10:40:51 AM »
I don't know if you're interested in this kind of thing Norman, but there is a Dave Gingery book on adding screw cutting capability to the gingery lathe, and I Imagine it could be fairly simply adapted to your lathe -- it's the Dividing Head and Other Accessories book -- a small paperback. Since the Gingery lathe starts out with only a faceplate, and you use it to build up to the screw cutting capability, I imagine you could do the same with only a 3 jaw.

You could make a graver with square teeth to cut threads in a 1/3/4" dia piece of tool or drill steel.  Put flutes in your blank and have a tap out of it. Unhardened it will cut aluminum, or hardened, steel. While the threads may not be perfect, it's the register that counts. Also if you make a faceplate, you will true the face of the plate anyway after it is mounted. A 1" to 2" thick aluminum faceplate works fine, and with it you can make a steel one if desired.

This kind of thing may not appeal to you, and certainly a purchased set of workholders is faster and easier. But if you enjoy working things out like this, it can be interesting work going from nothing to something.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2013, 12:14:40 PM »
Hi vtsteam, your suggestion is certainly possible but I have just worked around similar problems with the Eclipse lathe and am not that keen to do it all again. Making an intermediate faceplate from aluminium would be very costly as material costs here are high and I do not know of any scrap suppliers in my area. There is not much of an engineering world around here. I could cast a backplate but have not yet built myself a foundry so it is a bit of chicken and egg situation. 
I'm not that bothered about making it into a screwcutting lathe, I rarely have call for it, (except for making backplates!). The last bit of screwcutting that I did was on a metric lathe to cut imperial threads without the correct changewheels, I chased the thread using a small tap of the correct pitch. It was successful enough to be usable.
I have found two possible sources for ready made backplates so things are looking good.
The Gingery books are good, I have part built two of the lathes, one day I will finish one!
Norman

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2013, 01:06:31 PM »
An update on my Loughborough lathe. I managed to find a backplate and have mounted a four jaw chuck.
I have also converted the tailstock to lever locking, so much more convenient than fiddling around with a spanner. I've also managed to obtain a rather nice vertical slide that needs to be modified to be able to mount it.
All I need now is a faceplate, does anyone know where I can find one?
Norman

Offline awander

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2013, 03:14:01 PM »
Where are you located, Norman?

Offline NormanV

• United Kingdom
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2013, 03:40:38 PM »
I'm near Skegness, Lincolnshire, UK