Author Topic: Log Store  (Read 74961 times)

Offline mosey

Re: Log Store
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2013, 10:59:56 AM »
Ross

You and the apprentice seem to be making good progress. I also like your writing style.  :clap: :clap:

Thanks again Don.  Being from where you are, you may at least understand some of the "British" humour.  I'm rather hoping most people are missing some of the jokes, they'd be chasing me out of here with a big stick! :wack:

That's the part I'm having trouble with...British humour. Can someone tell me how to tell when the humour part begins?? (note that I got the spelling right?)(humour) Since I'll be there for some weeks, I should know when you're funning me, right?
Mosey
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:30:49 AM by dsquire »

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2013, 12:14:34 PM »
“Ladies an’ Gennelmen, I’m afraid to say we’re going to have to interrupt the main feature once more, this is due to some unruly elements in the back row of the theatre, we will be sorting this out with some help from the local constabulary and appreciate your patience, Gladys will be coming round with some complimentary Gold Leafs for anyone who would care to partake, or she’ll let you have one of her poppets if you ask nicely!  She’s that kind of girl.  She will not be approaching the rear of the auditorium, as she says she will not be held responsible for her actions if someone else grabs her well-stacked tray.  We will be playing a short public information film……”

Sorry about that, but the concentration wanders.  I thought I’d give a couple of handy tips I’ve picked up.

I noticed there was a little bit of damp in the tool-box;

So I thought I’d sort it out before I needed a sledgehammer to separate the tools.  Firstly I found an old rag, this is one of my wife’s from the washing basket;

she’s got loads so I’m sure she won’t miss it!  Then I got some “Canadian Oil”.  I call it “Canadian Oil” because it’s oil……and it comes from Canada;

You can tell it’s Canadian, because the label is in French and English, plus the top 95% is very lightly populated and all the oil seems to be going to the South!  I’m sure this stuff is good because when I tried to look up the instructions they said “First, get yourself  a C130 Hercules, a compressor and aboot three 55-gallon drums of ACF 50…”  I kid you not! Try looking it up!

I then dried out the box with half of the rag (she really won’t miss it, I’m sure.  I mean she’s got loads that look just like that hasn’t she?).  Dried off all the contents and squirted a few drops of the oil onto the steel parts and tried to make sure every surface was well wiped over.  With the block plane I made sure I dismantled it and dried and wiped all the bare surfaces with the oil.  (crumbs, I’m gonna have to give that iron a quick swipe over a stone someday soon!).  Apparently you don’t need to swamp everything with this, as a small amount goes a long way.  The one thing to bear in mind, is if you are going to be working on anything that’s going to be glued, painted, or given a surface treatment, that you will need to clean off the oil with a solvent first.  The oil can cause problems when using your tools on those things.  You should now have a good oily rag, which you can use on your motorised bicycle, particularly if you leave it outside all year, like wot I do.

When trying to mark in from an edge, say like using a chisel as a guide, and you haven’t got a flat surface to lay the work on, as I am here;

particularly where the edge is relieved, rounded-over,mullered? I found that holding something flat, like the rule I’m using, flush to the surface/edge you’re marking up to, gives you something to rest the chisel against whilst marking your line on the opposite side.

If your workbench is ventilated like mine, being made of boards with gaps on it, don’t leave your chisels lying parallel to the “ventilation gaps”.  They may roll off.  I find laying them across-ways with the bevel down seems to be an advantage;

otherwise you may find this happens;

Now then, where did I stick them sharpening stones?  I think they’re on top of the freezer in the larder.

I also discovered on my  “workbench’ that I hadn’t driven all my fastenings fully home, into their nice countersunk or counter-bored holes;

I’ve a feeling this may possibly mark the bottom (lower face) of anything I’m working on.  It seems a good idea to me, to check your work surface before doing anything important on it and best not assume things’ll be all right.  So I attempted to remedy this by….. “introducing, Mr Makita”;

“ Dahh Da Dahh da…Mr Makita, he very tough, Mr Makita he very strong, Give him one charge and he lasts all day long…Dah da!”  Unfortunately there was an issue with the pointy bit of the screw not quite wanting to go any further, ho-hum.  I will admit I thoroughly recommend Mr Makita, well this one anyway.  An excellent bit of kit, though you’ll have to sell your wife and apprentice to afford a new one. The only problem I've found with it is that although it has two LED "headlights", these illuminate the back of the chuck and you can't see the drill tip in the dark.  However it's good for guiding you home from the pub at night if you have little or no street-lighting.  I’m sure we’ll see him again

“Ladies n’ Gents, please regain your seats etc……Gladys how are you? are you sure?  Can I get you a brown paper bag to breathe into?”

Procrastination; now is that an art or a craft skill?

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2013, 12:42:39 PM »

That's the part I'm having trouble with...British humour. Can someone tell me how to tell when the humour part begins?? (note that I got the spelling right?)(humour) Since I'll be there for some weeks, I should know when you're funning me, right?
Mosey

Ah, that's a bit tricky.  I've been trying to explain this to my non-British friends for a while now.  British English is a funny old language, some think it's quite precise, when in fact it isn't at all.  In German, say, or other languages there may be only one or maybe two ways of saying something, such as "der Krankenwagen ist in meinem Blumentopf".  In Britain we can say one thing about seven hundred different ways and often we don't mean what we've just said anyway.  If a Brit says "this weather is nice isn't it" he could mean that the sun is shining and the sky is blue, or that it's a roaring typhoon.   Another Brit can tell by a slight intonation of tone on one of the words, or whether an eyebrow has been raised, if you're not British I suggest you go look out the window to see which he means.  Generally a Brit means what he says, or the complete opposite, so it leaves you with some guidelines.  The only time you can be sure what a Brit is saying is when they ask "how are you", or "how do you do", We never mean this at all, we really don't want to know how you are feeling.  If the Brit is a medical person and you are seeing them in a professional capacity then they do want to know.  If you meet a medic off-duty, then they really really don't want to know!

It's very difficult to explain this properly to someone from overseas, so what I suggest is; if there can be no possibility that he  can be joking, then he's probably not, at all other times carry a pocket full of cards around with you, one lot says "no I'm not joking" and the other says "Yes I am joking".  Give one of each to everyone you meet before any conversation and ask them to hold the correct one up when you need clarification.  I can't think of any other way, apart from having a trusted British friend with you at all times to interpret.

Offline mosey

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Aaahh, I've got it for sure now! When a Brit says anything, either he's joking or he's not. Perfect. So am I. Or not. Got it?
But more importantly, I understand that there are no differences in where you are, or where he's from. Especially the midlands. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
See you soon.
Mosey from Jersey (new)

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
Aaahh, I've got it for sure now! When a Brit says anything, either he's joking or he's not. Perfect. So am I. Or not. Got it?
But more importantly, I understand that there are no differences in where you are, or where he's from. Especially the midlands. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
See you soon.
Mosey from Jersey (new)

Mosey, you're starting to get it.  (Is that New Jersey or Jawsey or Joisey? I've not quite got that one.)

There are, should we say, some subtle differences between the different parts of the UK, or UKoGBaNI as it is correctly known.  Remember, over here 100 miles is a very long way, over there I believe 100 years to be a long time.  I was chatting to some friends of mine from the Great Republic of Texas a while back, discussing Orkney, which is a group of Islands just off the top of the country.  I mentioned to them that it was a part of Norway until quite recently.  They said, oh yes, when was that?  Oh about 1460 or so said I.  They looked at each other slightly bemused for some reason.

It's easier to tell if someone is joking or not if you know where they're from.  If they are from London and their mouth is open and there is noise coming out (which is about 99% of the time).  They are joking.  If they are from the North West of Scotland and their mouth is open and noise is coming out (which is about 1% of the time), they are definitely not joking.  If they are from Newcastle or Gateshead and their mouth is open with noise coming out, you'd have to ask a Norwegian whether they are joking or not.  If they come from Dundee and their mouth is open with noise coming out, no-one knows whether they are joking or not, even if the other person is from Dundee.  If they are from the Midlands and their mouth is open with noise coming out, I couldn't tell you what was happening.  I think they've been playing a joke on the rest of us for some time now!  If they come from Yorkshire it doesn't matter whether they are joking or not, you will still have to pay for the beer.  If they come from Liverpool, you'll have to record what they're saying and play it back at quarter speed to find out if they're joking.  And if they come from Barnsley and their mouth is open with noise coming out, only William Shakespeare or Queen Elizabeth the first could tell you if they are joking or not!

Hopefully you've got that and you'll be funning like a native when you get here.  Just don't tell a Welshman he's English, or a Scotchman, an Irishman or someone from Cornwall for that matter.  I wouldn't confuse an Orcadian with a Scot either, but that's all another story.  And finally, don't call us Europeans.  Some of us love Europe, some of us hate it, but when we leave these miserable wet islands of ours we go TO Europe and then we come HOME when we come back!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 10:34:08 AM by RossJarvis »

Offline mosey

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2013, 05:17:08 PM »
Ross,
This is jolly.
It is Scotsman, isn't it?
I once had a Scotsman (McKenzie) for a client. He never said anythin. And when he did, it was always the same..."it's too much".
And he never joked. And we are still friends.
I'm going to work on this some more. I will affect an accent. Which would you suggest?
I spent 2 nights on a ship in Southampton harbor one time with about 8 Cockney longshoremen. We had alot of fun. And alot of beer. I don't think I understood anythin. They joked alot.
Cheers

It is jerrrsey here. We have lots of trees and cattle.
Mosey :wave:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 07:07:11 PM by mosey »

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2013, 07:41:17 PM »
As I said earlier, following advice from the beloved; “Just because you act like a teenager, it still doesn’t mean you should look like one”.  I thought I’d better pop into the “workshop” to fix me braces.

So far I’ve somehow managed to make a bundle of sticks into some semblance of a square shape.  Any “engineers” amongst you will realise that a “space frame” is not particularly rigid and benefits a lot from “triangulated bracing", to increase “torsional rigidity”.  Braces are also b****y handy to stop you being sent up before the beak for indecent exposure in my experience!

I didn’t do these on the course at Weald and Downland so these are a bit new to me in the mortice and tenon form.  I did lap-joint (Hello officer, can you help me out, this gentleman is trying to charge me for leaving this pub.  What do you mean what’s my name?  I don’t see why you need my name, this man is obviously in the wrong.  What do you mean you’ve met my sort before?  I’ll have you know I’m a High Court Judge and you b****y well know that, as you were giving evidence in Smith v Regina last week, WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU”RE ARRESTING ME FOR OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE TO AN OFFICER OF THE LAW!) braces, including a couple of dovetail ones in Mk 1.  But I really want to do the other sort in this job.  The braces will be fairly basic in form as the timber is straight.  I’ll leave the curvey ones till later.

First thing, I loosely assembled the frame, face down, on some ceramic “levelling blocks”, which had lain dormant in the “workshop” for some time, one in each corner.  Then I levelled the whole lot with pairs of wedges at each corner on the levelling blocks;

For some strange reason there’s a fair bit of “drop” across the floor, but there again I didn’t lay it (If I had we’d probably call it a staircase!).  I used the “Short Israeli” for this as the “Big Austrian“ was in a strop.  Plus, when I applied the “sash cramps”, it might cause problems having a six-footer lying about.  As my cheapie “Carpet Warehouse” cramps are currently in someone else’s stables several miles away, along with my saw-stools, and tool box No 4, I had to improvise.  This is probably more in keeping with the “classic style”.  The garden twine was not up to the job so I had to use nylon and a few sticks;

This seemed to work well, pulling the joints tight(ish);

This is the “Short Israeli”;

I call him that ‘cos he’s shorter than the big Austrian…….and he comes from Israel, he’s pretty bright, modern and fairly well thought out, although the lines in his bubbles are a bit wonky.  He also spends a lot of time leaning against walls with the Big Austrian.  I’ve off-set him above the frame here ‘cos the sash-cramps were fouling the back face of the frame.  I checked that these "offsets" were the same thickness to prevent(ish) errors.  Then I eyed up across the timbers for “wind?”, or to check it was all flat as well as level;

Lastly I squared the frame with a "pointy stick";

This is a stick.........with a point carved on the end;

The one I am using is a bit flimsy for this size of job (and also happens to be the hardwood peg supply!).  But the one I’d made from batten appears to have done a “runner” over night (never should have carved a spoon in the end of it, and I haven’t a clue where one of the dishes has gone either?).  If you’re really posh, you carve a point on two sticks and bung ‘em together with a rubber band!  To use one of these, you base the assumption that a “squared rectangle” is equal in distance, corner to corner  (generally I agree with the Pythagorians here, but I have some sympathy for the pre-Socratics, ‘cos I’ve been to East Anglia and it’s obvious the Earth is flat there, and there’s nothing like an argument between the Greeks, particularly when a lot of retsina’s been taken),  However, I digress (and the magistrate said I can’t do that unless my wife agrees).

Ahem, let’s start again.  If you’ve got a square shape and want to check all the sides are “square” 90 degrees in each corner, you can check this by measuring diagonally, corner to corner.  If this measurement is equal, then the shape is square.  Stick the point of your stick into one corner and measure to the diagonal corner, then do the other two corners.  If the measurement is the same, then the shape is square.  If one measurement is longer than the other, then bash or tap the corner inwards where the length is longest.  Keep doing this till the measurement is equal.  This only works, if the distance from one side of the shape to the other in both axis is equal………….Oh hang geometry, if you don’t know what I’m talking about by now, you’re as lost as I am, let’s go and do the braces.  I just measured the b****y thing to check that the corners were all the same distance apart.

I had made up the length of the braces off the top of my head, when doing the plans earlier.  These were based on the Mk 1 model, which seemed to work and I had made ‘cos they looked right.  Someone who knows what they’re doing can say if there’s an ideal length for these.  I tried to cut these timbers so that there were no knots at the ends as these would make the tenons very weak.

I’d made these about 20 inches long, so stuck ‘em in each top corner, using the “American Carpenter’s Square”, (I call it that ‘cos it was called a carpenter’s square.....and came from America!) to set them at a 45 degree angle;

I wanted to use as much of them as I could, but the most important thing was moving them up and down a bit to ensure that the mortices weren’t going to have knots in either.  Once happy with the positions, I checked that they were the same distance from each corner, to be equal.  Then I marked their positions on the rear side of the beam and uprights;

And cramped them up;

Having a slightly dry throat after a hard day in the “workshop”, I had a couple of glugs of cider (doesn’t it show).  And I think it’s time for bed, so Nighty Night and I’ll see you in the morning.

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2013, 08:28:54 PM »
Ross,
This is jolly.
It is Scotsman, isn't it?
I once had a Scotsman (McKenzie) for a client. He never said anythin. And when he did, it was always the same..."it's too much".
And he never joked. And we are still friends.
I'm going to work on this some more. I will affect an accent. Which would you suggest?
I spent 2 nights on a ship in Southampton harbor one time with about 8 Cockney longshoremen. We had alot of fun. And alot of beer. I don't think I understood anythin. They joked alot.
Cheers

It is jerrrsey here. We have lots of trees and cattle.
Mosey :wave:

Hiyay Mosey :wave:  It's great chatting.

Well, some people say the man is Scots and the drink is Scotch, but in some places the man is Scotch too (in the West End of Glasgow the Scots men are half Scotch, but that's another story and probably going to get me into a lot of trouble!).  In modern common parlance they're Scots.  In Orkney they're Orcadian and not Scotch or Scots.  The people used to be called Scotch as well as Scots, but it's gone out of fashion a long while now.

The McKenzies are from the same place as my mother's family!  The Scots can actually be some of the most generous people you can meet, but often with their time and energy.  Traditionally they were all "skint" so had nothing to give anyone, particularly the English!  Is your friend called Kenneth by any chance?

I think it better to speak Jerrrsey (whether New or Noo), but if you can do Noo Yoik, that might be better (I've probably got that pronunciation wrong).  Though Noo Joisey, or Jawsey, might be better still, that'd confuse us!

I work in Portsmouth, (Well Cosham really, remember 100 miles is a very long distance here), which is about 20 miles from Southampton.  In effect that's another country, even if they're both in the same county!  There's been a state of Cold War between the two for several centuries which gets hot at least once a year when The Saints play Pompey. :hammer:

It would be great to see you when you're here.

G*d Bless, I've gotta go to bed.

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2013, 10:32:45 AM »
In my last post I’d got to the bit where the braces were cramped to the corners, (we could always start an argument now about whether I’d clamped ‘em or cramped ‘em, that’s why I think it’s easier to put a brick on top instead! I started with a pair of “handy clamps”, but I’m not sure now).

I’m noticing that the timber’s started moving about a bit now and it’s got me scratching my head a lot, as to how to cut the joints to minimise the gaps.  As it’s a pegged job I can’t use the “cascamite-and-sawdust-inlay system”.  Speaking of which, here’s a job I did a few years back, where I think the inlay shows the hand-cut dove-tails to fine advantage!;

I’m sure there’d be a proper way of doing this framing lark, but as you’re probably aware by now, I’m making this up as I go along!  (The labourer down the wood-yard is the only person to notice this, but as his timber selection method is “Now then, I fink them bits at the top of the pile are wot he really wants”, I’m not sure I’d trust his wisdom completely.  However, I suppose if I were hefting wood around all day myself, I couldn’t fault his logic.  I’ll have to ask him if he’s an Aristotelian or a Boolean next time I’m down there!)

Enough digression (I told you love, it’s my gress not yours!).

Having marked the rear of the frames for the positions of where the braces would be, I used the square to mark down onto the “inside” of post and beam, for the end of the mortices.  I tried to mark under the braces for the “shoulders” of the tenons, but this was tricky as it’s all so close to the floor and tried to square up the sides of the braces.  I don’t think using the square was ideal here, I would suppose using a chalked plumb line would be better, particularly if the timbers were bigger.  I’m having difficulty remembering which bits should be “scribed” and which bits would be “plumb(ed)”.  Anyway, it’ll all come out in the wash, I’m hoping a little bit of wooden “shim” and a swipe with a plane will cover up some of the bigger mistakes.  (I’ll park a chair in front of the biggest mistakes!).

I then compared one brace to the other, to see if they were similar enough to be right.  Doing this helped me notice the slight “mistake”, that when setting them out, I’d measured down from the top of the frame for one brace and the inside of the frame for the other!!!  Luckily as I hadn’t applied the saw, I could fix that with a rubber and a new scribble, luckily I had a rubber in the tool box (strangely enough my big brother always carried his in his wallet, he says if you put it there you wouldn’t make mistakes!  I really should’ve listened to his advice when I was younger!).  This is comparing the two braces after I’d re-scribbled;

You might notice that there’s about ½ inch difference between the two.  This could be down to the irregularities in the wood, or probably I’ve just cacked up again.  As it is, they’re nearly six foot apart so who’s going to notice?  It’ll only be ¼” when they’re in place anyway.

Nextly;  Cutting the tenons.  Due to the angle of the brace, I found there was a lot of wood to rip through, but I only needed to come in from one side as the shoulders were at 45%.  Here I found the sawing was getting hard, possibly because the “grain” was curling the wood in, but I dare say that I might not have a good technique yet!;  Anyway, I had a bright idea, so I popped in, found the wife’s best candle and rubbed it all over the blade;

This seemed to do the trick as the sawing got easier.  You’ll probably need to use the missus’ best candle as I’m sure the wax’ll be better!  She won’t mind surely?  I think, if your blade is straight and you know what you’re doing you won’t need the wax.  Plus, if you’re going to be gluing the tenons, the wax would cause a lot of problems.  Luckily, I’m going to be using pegs, and the wax’ll help waterproof the joint!!! 

Et Veolia (as the Bin-men say in France); two part-finished braces;

I used to think you’d cut the mortices into the posts at 45 degrees for braces, but apparently not, it’s probably too fiddly and not necessary, plus I think you’d never get the thing together during assembly.  I’m hoping I’ve got this next bit right.  I marked the tenon, back 45 degrees on the longest edge of the brace;

….and chopped the end off (too late to go back now!).  This should mean that the tenon will slide in square to the face of the beam/post.  Then I laid them out on the posts with the "LI" just to see what other mistakes I’d made;

So far so good, but looking at the twist I’d cut in the Tenons!!!  You’d think I was a “prop-maker” for Sopwiths.  Never mind, a sharp chisel and wooden-shim’ll sort that out.

If you chop the mortice full depth along its length, there’ll be a big gap inside the mortice when the joint’s done up, so if you’re handy with a chisel I’m sure you could cut one end of the mortice at 45 degrees.  Personally I think Father O’Reilly might need somewhere to hide his Bushmills when his mates pop round and he might need somewhere for his mates if the “roundheads” come round, so I’ve left some big “holes”!  I might try something different on the back frame.

Next I BRRR-GRAUNCH-WHIRRED the mortices, shaved their edges, popped the braces in the holes, marked the depth of the tenons, sawed a bit more kindling off and “Hey Presto”  (I think Presto became Safeway actually!);

Job Done!!  I’ll not make you jealous by showing you close-ups of the braces and how flush they are to the front face……still, nothing that a quick wipe across with a plane won’t settle!!!

See you later,  I’ve been blathering on when I should be drilling some holes for the pegs today!!!

Oh look!  The apprentice has popped round for a hob-nob or two; look at him, lying down on the job, as usual;

This is when I’d just told him “look Sonny, none of your cheek!  I’ve forgotten more about carpentry than you’ll ever know”.  “Izzat so gran’dad I wish you’d remembered some of it when you was tryin’ to teach me!!!” he said back.  I don’t know, the Yoof of today eh!!

We were never like that, were we?

Offline mosey

« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2013, 10:52:17 AM »
When I cut my dovetails too wide, I slip a little sliver of veneer in there. Nobody knows the truth.
Mosey :lol:

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #85 on: August 25, 2013, 11:49:15 AM »
Wish I'd known you 13 years ago!!!  You could have advised me on that and how to avoid the big gap between the lid and the rest of the box!! :Doh:  I call it "ventilation".

Ross

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #86 on: August 25, 2013, 12:08:50 PM »
This build is going the parallel lines with my working methods...scary.

OT: British humor.

My first real British experience was when Thatcher was firmly in power. Just landed in London and we were about exit the plane and walk 10-20 meters to bus. Flight attendant said "It's a fresh wind outside". Galeforce winds with horizontal waterfal tried push us offcourse and pile at the end of runway before we happles business travellers could reach relative safety of busses.

When my wife came to Finland (mexican origin lived in texas) and we were watching BBC:s finest series "What language is that?" She honestly could not get that thick accent. But 15 years here has done it's job (and some British workforce too). She and our daughter had no problem when they visited London last summer.

English is a wonderful language, it's so widely used (often wrong) that very different people can communicate with a reasonable degree of certainty, but with a very little change of understanding completely :lol

Pekka

Offline mosey

« Reply #87 on: August 25, 2013, 12:15:03 PM »
Wish I'd known you 13 years ago!!!  You could have advised me on that and how to avoid the big gap between the lid and the rest of the box!! :Doh:  I call it "ventilation".

Ross
Sent you a PM about gaps.
Mosey

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2013, 02:45:14 AM »

My first real British experience was when Thatcher was firmly in power. Just landed in London and we were about exit the plane and walk 10-20 meters to bus. Flight attendant said "It's a fresh wind outside". Galeforce winds with horizontal waterfal tried push us offcourse and pile at the end of runway before we happles business travellers could reach relative safety of busses.

When my wife came to Finland (mexican origin lived in texas) and we were watching BBC:s finest series "What language is that?" She honestly could not get that thick accent. But 15 years here has done it's job (and some British workforce too). She and our daughter had no problem when they visited London last summer.

English is a wonderful language, it's so widely used (often wrong) that very different people can communicate with a reasonable degree of certainty, but with a very little change of understanding completely :lol

Pekka

Pekka,  :lol:

thank's for re-assuring me that other's work like I do.

Yes, we often use 'under-statement", which is a slight subtle difference to saying the complete opposite to what we mean.  such as, when you have cut your arm off with a chain saw and someone asks if you are all right, you say "Oh it's nothing, just a scratch".  Look up "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Is your wife a "Tejana", I think that's what they're called?  Apparently Texas wouldn't be Texas, without the "Mexicans".  And at least half of the defenders of the Alamo were "Mexican".  I spent a couple of days in St Luis Potosi, the place and people there were lovely :thumbup:

I was in Norway, when Thatcher was kicked out, a Norwegian asked who this "John Major' was?  I said I'd never heard of him before.  I've still not met anyone who knows who he is!  The weather in England was rubbish that year too!

We are often informed that the British don't learn foreign languages.  However we actually know loads; Australian, New Zealandish, American, half of Canadian.....

Ross :wave:

Offline PekkaNF

« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2013, 04:14:05 AM »
Is your wife a "Tejana", I think that's what they're called?  Apparently Texas wouldn't be Texas, without the "Mexicans".  And at least half of the defenders of the Alamo were "Mexican".  I spent a couple of days in St Luis Potosi, the place and people there were lovely :thumbup:

No, She is is from Chihuahua. About the "Tejana" the is difference of pronunciation. It's really writen as Texana, but said the way you wrote! bit like in comics.. first time I read comics in mexico I was wodering what is "ja ja ja"? I askes and the answer was "ha ha ha". :lol:

I have been too St Luis Potosi, I think my friend parked the car close to church and we had to fish licence plates back from police station. But really nice and easy going place.

Nice thing about English is sheer variation of it. English speakking generally tolerate a lot of bad English without making a big stink about it. German and French was different cup of potage altogether. If you didn't speek perfect you were not worth a much. Lucily it has changed a lot.

Any more chipping, persuation and grammar done today?

Pekka

Offline mosey

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »

Pekka

Pekka,  :lol:

thank's for re-assuring me that other's work like I do.

Yes, we often use 'under-statement", which is a slight subtle difference to saying the complete opposite to what we mean.  such as, when you have cut your arm off with a chain saw and someone asks if you are all right, you say "Oh it's nothing, just a scratch".  Look up "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was in Norway, when Thatcher was kicked out, a Norwegian asked who this "John Major' was?  I said I'd never heard of him before.  I've still not met anyone who knows who he is!  The weather in England was rubbish that year too!

We are often informed that the British don't learn foreign languages.  However we actually know loads; Australian, New Zealandish, American, half of Canadian.....

Ross :wave:
Ross, that's terrific that you know American...which words? You can probably write all 10 of them here. (do not include whilst, spanner, and bonnet) It's your cuisine we covet. I watch BBC Masterchef where they make Spam with truffle oil.
The French are adopting our words wholesale, like "weekend" and "hotdog", it's just that they want us to pronounce them correctly.

All I remember about the English news of that time was some Italian guy, and that girl. We miss Maggie and Ron.  :lol: :lol:
Your American friend, Mosey

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2013, 07:32:27 PM »

Ross, that's terrific that you know American...which words? You can probably write all 10 of them here. (do not include whilst, spanner, and bonnet) It's your cuisine we covet. I watch BBC Masterchef where they make Spam with truffle oil.
The French are adopting our words wholesale, like "weekend" and "hotdog", it's just that they want us to pronounce them correctly.

All I remember about the English news of that time was some Italian guy, and that girl. We miss Maggie and Ron.  :lol: :lol:
Your American friend, Mosey

The most important American Words I know are "1964 Ford Mustang" :bow:

Offline mosey

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
In 2 weeks, I'll be in London, teaching them how to drive on the right side of the road. :beer:
Mosey

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #93 on: August 28, 2013, 08:07:37 AM »
In 2 weeks, I'll be in London, teaching them how to drive on the right side of the road. :beer:
Mosey

Mosey, It'd be nice to meet up if we get a chance.  I tried driving on the "correct" side of the road in Texas once, they didn't seem to understand :scratch: :scratch: :scratch:

PS, did you get the email with my clock?

Offline mosey

« Reply #94 on: August 28, 2013, 01:19:21 PM »
I'll wave to the Calshot Spit when we fly over.
Mosey

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #95 on: August 28, 2013, 02:20:24 PM »
Here I am, back again (like the proverbial penny).

I had considered drilling the tenons the proper way, by sticking them in the mortices, marking down through the holes in the mortices and then drilling slightly off-set toward the tenon “shoulder”.  This would tighten the joint up.  However, I really couldn’t be a***d so I did it a bit bodgy and quick(ish).

First job was to re-assemble the frame, level and check for flat and square, whilst applying the bits of string to tighten it all up;

For the life of me I couldn’t get it to square up…  I’m not sure why, possibly mis-cut tenon shoulders, or sideways-gravity, or the braces the wrong way round.  But no matter how much bashing with a mallet, it was still off-square, I even swapped the braces around, but no luck.  If I loosened the stringy things (two boat-builder friends have informed me that these are “Spanish Windlasses”, however, as these are bearded boat-builders [We used to call ‘em pirates in my day!] I couldn’t guarantee they’d know the difference between windlass and cutlass, particularly when some Pussers has been drunk!) it was all too loose so I had to get some powerful thinking drink out;

This is the only recourse when the tea has failed to work!  A glug or two of Girrrrder juice later and BINGO!  Another Spanish Windless!  As I’d run out of nylon string I had to find summat else, so;

A bit of electric string!  It’ll make the electrons giddy next time I hoover the lawn, but you can’t have everything.  I tightened the long diagonal till the job was square;

The joints sort of looked as tight as they’d go so, “re-introdusing….Daa Da Daa Da Da….Mr Makita he very Tough….Mr Makita he very Strong…Mr Makita give him one charge….And he will work the whole day Long…Daa Da Daaa”. 

(If anyone’s wondering whether I am paid for any endorsements, no I am not!  However I am open to any offers!).  As I said I quite like this drill, even if the headlights are pointless.  One good thing I like is that he stands on his own foot quite easily;

I drilled through the mortice holes and then realised I should have come through from the front face, tearing any wood on the non-to-be-looked-at side.  The pre-drilled holes seemed to be good enough to guide the drill through straight(ish). Once all the holes had been done I started cutting and sharpening the pegs;

These I made 2 ½” long (okay, everyone but the first, wot was a tad too short), then I bashed ‘em through with the hitting-stick, using a proper wooden carpenter’s hitting-stick and not a “Birmingham Screwdriver”.  Et Violet (as the gardeners say in France);

Once again I came in the wrong way round (hit em in from the front, not the back you plo***r!), tearing a bit more wood out the “pretty side”;

Still, nuffink a damp rag and a 700Watt planer can’t sort out.  So, up to a point, frame number 1 is done;

All I’ve got to do now is; frame two (I’ll see if I can do that properly), tie them together, floor it and bung a roof on, can’t take long surely?

Remember that tight lap-joint (Yes M’Lud, I was proceeding in a Northerly direction past the “Double-mint Hippo….)?  Well, I done an’ split me lower beam!!!;

Nothing a bit of glue and cramps can’t sort, but I was well pleased with that joint too.  I think the joints don’t need to be as tight as I’ve made them, not with all the fitting and re-fitting I’m doing and the bashing with the stick!!

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #96 on: August 28, 2013, 02:22:40 PM »
I'll wave to the Calshot Spit when we fly over.
Mosey

You might see me down there making propellors for Supermarine with my tenon saw!!

Offline Pete W.

« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »
Hi there, Ross and Mosey,

First of all, Mosey, I doubt whether you'll come in over Calshot Spit - more likely to be over Prestwick, even if you're not due to land there.  That's unless, of course, you're coming in an Imperial Airways flying boat, via the Bermuda Triangle!

SNIP

You might see me down there making propellors for Supermarine with my tenon saw!!

A bit  :offtopic: but here I go anyway:  (Swing the lamps)

Back in about 1950, my school Hobbies Club ran a visit to The 'Airscrew Company and Jicwood Limited' at Addlestone, near Weybridge.  They were making laminated wooden airscrews with each layer (what's the singular of 'lamina'?) cut so the grain was in the radial direction.  I don't remember seeing any tenon saws!  The 'Jicwood' part of the business also made laminated wooden moulding forms.  I believe that my father had worked there at some stage in his career because he gave me a mallet with a laminated wooden head.

We were also shown a department making chipboard, I don't suppose there are many of those in the UK anymore.  And they were also making, in one piece, the thermal insulation layer for the roof of the London double-decker buses, it was made of expanded rubber!
Best regards,

Pete W.

If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs, you haven't seen the latest design change-note!

Offline mosey

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »
I'm reminiscing about my errant childhood...I can see the Spit in my dreams, bright red and white. Any chance to make-believe I'm going past there is heaven.  :)
Mosey
13 days to Heathrow.

Offline RossJarvis

« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2013, 10:48:38 AM »
Hello dearly beloved.  Been out in the “workshop” again.  I was a bit concerned that my pace has been a bit slow, so I did a wee “time and motion study”.  Now that I don’t have to do as much thinking as when making the first frame, cos I did it then.  For the second frame I’ve decided to do a bit more work between cups of tea, so now for every cuppa I’ll cut two or more joints instead of one!

Firstly, following the handy tip from Andy T I’m going to mark up the timbers cramped together, squaring the ends up;

Marking across, using frame one for positions;

Marking back from the other ends, using the shortest timber to set the “height of the frame;

“Uh Oh”.  Look who’s turned up, it’s the apprentice again, he’s been lying low most of the week.  He asked if he could come to the pub Sunday night, as he knew the dark haired girl who’s just moved in next door was going to be there.  I think he had too many shandies!  Here he was asking me where all the hob-nobs have gone?  “you scoffed em all last week ya little Nerk!” said I in my usual polite style.  “Well you’d better buy some more granddad” says he.  So I told him to get a shopping bag and I’d give him a couple of quid for some more. 

We’ve had to get him his own bag, as he always leaves ours down the Co-op;

“An’ I want you to come straight back, no blinking dawdling!”  As I’ve said before, you trades-people know just what they’re like!

Here’s the long bits cramped up and being marked out;

Here’s me cutting three tenon shoulders in one go, told you I’d done a time and motion study!;

And this shows you how blinking hard the morticer gets stuck in the wood;

Any way time to get on, TTFN!