Author Topic: QCTP tangential tool holder  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
QCTP tangential tool holder
« on: August 17, 2013, 12:45:10 PM »
 I would like to try my hand at making a tangential tool holder to fit my OXA QCTP. I will start with a 3-4” piece of 1” x1” CRS. I understand the concept of the tool, and forum posts on construction seem to lean toward 12° angles. I will use 1/4 or 5/16 tool bits, or possibly round tool bits. I will cut the dovetail for my tool post into the 1” stock.
For those that have built/used tangential tools, what guidance would you offer? Do I need to make Left Hand and Right Hand versions? The handed versions mean that the sideways orientation is still 12°, right? Just tilted to the right or left? Will my 1” square stock be big enough? Can I make one end left hand and one end right hand? Would there be an advantage in that? I have a 7x14 MicroMark lathe.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline ieezitin

Re: QCTP tangential tool holder
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »
Chuck.

I use one all the time, I don't think there is any advantage of making a left and right hand one, none that i can think of anyway. You can get to some pretty tight spots left and right with it the way it is.

Its not one of the bast way to remove metal while achieving a good surface finish i find, , saying that i have a piece of mystery Stainless and the finish is like glass where other types of cutters leave a rough finish on that particular stock i have .

I keep it handy and like i said i use it allot, the reason is its easy to sharpen, i just glide the diamond plate over it to lick the edges and back to work it goes, i don't even take it out of the QCTH to do it, plus its very easy to grind on the grinder.

Its worth the effort to make one.

Hope this helps....

Anthony..
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Chuck in E. TN

• USAF Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 06:43:21 PM »
Anthony,
Can you provide a picture of your version, please? I have started on mine. 1" x 1" stock, I have cut the dovetail for the tool post and the 12° angle across the end. I am trying to figure out how to cut the 12° slot for the tool bit on the end.
Chuck
Chuck in E. TN
Famous TN last words: "Hey ya'll, watch this..."
MicroMark 7x14, HF X2 mill, Green 4x6 saw. Harbor Freight 170A mig

Offline mattinker

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 07:08:27 PM »
Hi,

I haven't made one yet, high on my to do list, this post is interesting with useful information and links.

http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/ToolHolders.html#Tangent

Regards, Matthew

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2013, 10:39:28 AM »
Chuck

here are some piccies of my tool.  You know i never really paid attention to the fact it is a Left hand tool   :bugeye:.Thinking about it more now there would be an advantage to making a right hand tool.

Here shown also is the little jig it come with to sharpen it on the grinder, it holds it at the correct angle in both axis's to give a flawless grind.

Like i said before its hit and miss on the surface finish i find, i own a Logan 820 and an Atlas 12" and the results are the same on both lathes, maybe larger lathes with a little more rigidity would help with the finishes, I have tried it a little high and low on centers with not really any good results. Don't get me wrong it does a good job more times than not i just change to another tool when i go to final size, or I emery-cloth the finish in.

It really takes allot of the hassle out of tool grinding....

Enjoy.......

Hope this helps.......   Anthony..

If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline mechman48

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:33:10 PM »
Hi  :wave:
I have one of these too & I use it for 95% of machining I do, what I do is once the top face is sharpened I stone a small radius onto the front corner, this gives a slightly better finish as you have more cutting surface in contact with the material you are machining & not a pinpoint corner which will exaggerate the record groove of the cut. By the way I think you have a slight error in your description of the tool.. it cuts from right to left.. toward the chuck.. hence right handed, conversely the other way is left handed... away from the chuck, check on Eccentric Engineering website you will see the description as such.

Regards
George  :headbang:.
George.

Always look on the bright side of life, & remember.. KISS..' Keep It Simple Stupid'