The Shop > Metal Stuff

Simple steel flasks

<< < (3/5) > >>

vtsteam:
Almost done -- just need that last piece of channel.

tom osselton:
Well they say there is always room for one more, I guess it's true!!   :D looks good though

Tom

Mayhem:
Looking good Steve.  Are the extra holes so that you can bolt some together to increase the capacity for larger patterns?

vtsteam:
Thanks Tom  :beer:

Mayhem, yes. I also thought I might be able to use the extra holes for clamping the top and bottom plates, for keying match plates --  or even some other use I don't know of now, down the road.

Point of interest -- the flanges are 1" wide. I thought I could also use these metal flasks with drag flasks made of wood if I put the centers of the holes at 5/8" in from the edge. With a 3/8" pin, that would center the pin on 3/4" thick wood assuming the drag had the same inner dimensions as the cope.

The cope takes most of the heat from spills, and since its flanges are 1" wide, while wood is 3/4" wide, drips would tend not to run down the drag, as well. So wood drags could extend my number of usable flasks in a pinch without additional cost, and probably would last well.

For day to day use, I will just use the metal flasks together.

awemawson:
Looking good Steve.

I welded some 1" angle iron in my flasks - in the horizontal orientation along the long sides, with the apex of the angle facing into the flask and the two legs of the angle flat against the side, so that the sand was trapped by the shape. Worked well and simple to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version