Author Topic: carousel  (Read 64704 times)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
Re: carousel
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2016, 03:36:18 PM »
Thanks Matthew I still have things to do but I have to be careful of getting carried away and spoiling it with too much decoration.
Actually the pic is a little dark will have to retake it with the flash on.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.
https://myshedblog.wordpress.com/

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »
ok so I am pretty happy with my work on the top of the carousel and I have put it to one side to start on the body now. I drilled 96 holes in the top for the leds to go into or rather the leads of the leds will go through leaving the leds totally proud and made some trim pieces to go on each of the corners. I have drilled 8 holes in each and glued leds into those as well. in total it will have 192 leds by the time I have finished.
I have decided to use a arduino mega to control the carousel as it allows me to have 48 outputs for the lights leaving me with a couple to control speed and maybe music too. The main thing I cant decide is if I should have 48 sets of 4 lights which will allow me to control all the way around the carousel but limit the effects possible a little or 48 set of 2 lights and just have the lights on 3 of the sides mimic the lights on the controlled side which will allow for better lighting effects  :coffee: all assuming I can hack together enough code to do all I want to do.
Turns out this life c**p is just one big distraction from death but a good one. For the love of god dont give yourself time to think.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 03:37:41 AM »
Looking goodera and goodera Shipto. An interesting and well documented build that will look extra flash with the bling of dancing LEDs. Looking forward to the next installment.
John B
Converting good metal into swarf sometimes ending up with something useful. ;-)

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #53 on: September 25, 2016, 03:35:09 PM »
Wires lots and lots of wires  :bang:
found a better way to control them with the arduino (dont even need the mega) shift registers 6 of them to be precise all just using 3 pins on the arduino.  :ddb:
so currently in the process of converting binary and noting down lots of numbers to feed the arduino hopefully from a file on a sd card.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2016, 05:41:06 PM »
All 192 led's now have wires the top most ones have resisters in line under the heat shrink sleeving. If I had planned ahead I could have got the wires quite a bit neater but they will hopefully remain hidden for the life of the carousel so they will do, its a lesson learned for next time.
I really should sit down and learn the code needed for the arduino but every time I intend to give it some time I seem to think of something else I need to be doing  :doh:

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2016, 02:01:16 AM »
Well Shipto,
   You keep plugging away at the carousel and we will keep waiting for the next installment with keen anticipation.
Thanks for posting.

I Can relate to the fact that the other stuff you need to do gets in the way of spending time learning to program the Arduino. I have played with the idea of getting one of those Arduino kits and playing / learning that way but life continues to interfere with many of my little plans. Oh Well.
John B

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 04:00:48 PM »
Kind of success with the arduino coding I have it reading some numbers from a txt file on a sd card and sending the resulting binary out to the shift registers just need to figure out why it's quitting after about five minutes now.

This mock-up is only using two of the six shift registers but it gives a idea of the kind of effect I will get from the full thing.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2016, 05:44:03 AM »
Definate success  :ddb:
I have altered the code and it now works and I have even figured out how to do away with the delay() so the arduino can now control the lights and the motor speed at the same time wanted it to control the music too but I think this may be a bit ambititous for someone like myself who is basically hacking bits of code together.
this video is taken after it has been running for about 10 minutes and is still running as I type this:

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2016, 07:28:33 AM »
Bravo!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Offline Noitoen

« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2016, 09:00:51 AM »
Ancient fair rides I used to service had some simple 8 channel light sequencers that were made with a simple EPROM and a binary counter. The 8 bit data on the EPROM was programmed with the sequence and the counter with a simple oscillator sequenced a few dozen of addresses in the memory in an endless loop. With 8 high power static relays they drove hundreds of little lamps around the ride.

Now a days they use computers and a data bus like modern stage lighting to control multicolored led walls.

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2016, 01:53:50 PM »
I guess mine is somewhere in between the two (towards the lower end  :lol:)
but the center is almost finished now and I am soon going to be in the position where I need to join the leds to the eletronics.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2016, 02:05:45 AM »
Going well Shipto,
      Aren't cable ties wonderful gizmos? Everything from the garden to wiring to handcuffs. Oh, and not forgetting those annoying election posters (here in OZ anyway).  :lol:
   We all await the next installment and piccies.
Thanks for the interesting post.
John B

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #62 on: October 22, 2016, 01:07:33 PM »
Well a little more progress today I got another strip of wood bent into a circle for the base where all the electonics will be housed, just need to let it dry overnight and I can scarf it together tomorrow.
Also got the platform attached to the top of the carousel I can get a better idea of how long the bars for the horses have to be now.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2016, 12:43:30 AM »
I can't recall seeing any horses thus far Shipto.
    Are you planing to make them or is there somewhere to buy wee horses? To make them will test your skill and patience I think.
 I just searched, "miniature Carousel Horses" and did find some so all is possible depending on the depth of your wallet.

John B

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2016, 07:47:23 AM »
I can't recall seeing any horses thus far Shipto.
    Are you planing to make them or is there somewhere to buy wee horses? To make them will test your skill and patience I think.
 I just searched, "miniature Carousel Horses" and did find some so all is possible depending on the depth of your wallet.

John B
Post #10 swarfnstuff the horses are meant for dolls house rocking horses its one of the few things I didnt mind buying predone as wittling 16 horses would have been far beyond my patience and probably skill too.

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2016, 03:50:09 AM »
Thanks Shipto,
        I didn't go far enough back in either my look-see or my befuddled memory bank. Yep, Don't blame you as unless you are a whittling addict 16 horses would extend this project till we both are too old to read the posts perhaps.  :lol:
Good stuff so far.  :clap:  :clap:
John B

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #66 on: November 06, 2016, 11:22:42 AM »
More progress to report.
I finished (apart from the decorating) the base and got the center column fixed to it and then started on the hangers for the horses, to start with I put the hooks opposit to each other with the intention of making them a bit like a bayonet fitting it wasnt until I started to put the horses on that I realised by the time they where glued on I wouldn't be able to turn them far enough  :Doh:
So remade the hanger bars with the hooks the same way this time and glued the horses to them just need to paint them gold now and will be ready to crimp them so they cant come off or move sideways and foul up.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2016, 05:31:41 PM »
Looks great!
But where is the Brass ring?  :D

Offline SwarfnStuff

« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 12:37:07 AM »
Looking bettera and bettera.
Waiting for the video of it running. Keep plugging away.

John B

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 05:16:58 PM »
Tom sorry if i am being a bit thick but "brass ring"?

swarf a video of it turning may not be too far away but as for lights and music that may be a bit of a while, even though I have the arduino code sorted for the lights still need to find some time to sit and work out the electronics for it.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 06:08:41 PM »

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2016, 05:52:58 AM »
Ah thank you Tom I have to admit I have never heard of that.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2016, 03:31:04 PM »
Well I decided to do a short video just turning it by hand because the horse hangers are not secured yet and i didnt want to risk a foul up.

Offline tom osselton

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2016, 04:37:48 PM »
Very nicely done!

Offline shipto

• Redditch, UK
« Reply #74 on: November 14, 2016, 04:11:23 PM »
The horses now have their tails.
Shoe laces cut to size and brushed out with a tiny wire brush, the ferrule (I think its called that) was cut down then glued into the back end.