The Shop > Wood & Stuff

carousel

<< < (2/22) > >>

ddmckee54:
It's too late now since you've got the decking complete, but if you would have put a small chamfer on the edges of the coffee stirrers before you glued them down it would have helped make sure they show through the paint.  That would highlight the joint which is what I think you were hoping to do.  Another option is just do a clear finish on the deck and let the wood show through.

I build wooden models of construction equipment and I have yet to use anything to finish them other than clear or amber shellac with a polyurethane varnish top coat.

Don

shipto:
the wire twisting was quite simple I had a fitting (from a gazeebo i think) lying around so just drilled a few holes either side of it then bent the ends of the wire fed them through the holes, put a nail in the vice and let the drill turn it until i was happy with the finish. I then just wound the rest to closely match the first one.
ddmckee54 I sorted that problem out by grinding the end of a small file to a sharp point and scoring between the stirrers using a ruler to avoid going off (second pic). As for not painting I did think about that but dont think it would be in keeping with a proper carousel. I think they are meant to be painted bright and cheerful colours.

Bluechip:
Shipto

Are you still looking for a random generator wotsit for your lighting?? No way could I find the wretched circuit I prattled on about but I now have a much better method. Well MikroC does anyway. They have a RAND function that does it for PIC code in their compiler.

Ridiculously easy ... wanna see ?? If you want I could post the code.

Dave BC

shipto:
Still not decided exactly how I am going to do it yet bluechip but if you could post or message me I will store it for justin case.
thank you.

Bluechip:
Shipto

I assumed you would want 8 individual outputs, could be others, no trouble.

This is all it is.

--- Code: ---
int number;
int iter;
unsigned char _low;
unsigned char _0;
unsigned char _1;
unsigned char _2;
unsigned char _3;
unsigned char _4;
unsigned char _5;
unsigned char _6;
unsigned char _7;
void main()
{
    for ( iter = 1; iter <= 299; iter ++ )
    {
    number = rand ();
    _low = number >> 12;
        switch (_low)
        {
        case 0: _0 ++; break;
        case 1: _1 ++; break;
        case 2: _2 ++; break;
        case 3: _3 ++; break;
        case 4: _4 ++; break;
        case 5: _5 ++; break;
        case 6: _6 ++; break;
        case 7: _7 ++; break;
        }
    }
}

--- End code ---

The rand() function produces a number 0-32768 ie 15 bits
The only two lines that do anything useful are

number = rand ();            // generates the number
_low = number >> 12;     // Shift right 12 positions

Most of that code is to vaguely determine just how random it is when it's squashed down from 15 to 3 bits. Not too bad. Although it does occasionally chuck out the same value in succession but it would be no big thing to stop that if required.

Anyway, sent it around for 300 laps and got this:

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version