The Craftmans Shop > PowerSports

Rotors - Drilling and Slotting?

(1/2) > >>

sparky961:
Since there are quite a few people here that seem to be into racing and such, can I get some opinions and advice regarding drilling and/or slotting aftermarket rotors?  I have access to a more than capable industrial CNC machine to get it done.  Is it to be attempted?  What geometry to use?  Vehicle is a mid size pickup, and the reason for wanting these would be to improve hard stops from high speed and long distance "mountain" braking.  Commence the education....  My thanks.

Powder Keg:
It seems like this was brought up on one of the old motorbike forums. I think they determined it was more for looks than anything. I was going to mill some sweet looking slots in the rotors on my Kawi but decided against it after all the reading.

~Wes~

RussellT:
I don't think this is entirely for looks.  There are two issues, one is clearing water from the surface of the disc when you put the brakes on, and the other is keeping the discs cool.  I think the grooves you see on motorbike discs are designed to cope with the first problem and drillings are designed to cope with the second.  However drilling through the disc reduces the friction area so I don't think it would improve overall braking performance.  Lots of car discs are radially drilled (or cast) to improve cooling but that wouldn't be practical with an aftermarket disc as it wouldn't be thick enough.

The cheapest upgrade to brakes for racing is generally different pads - but some of those don't start working until they're warm.  It's worth checking who made your existing pads - aftermarket pads are not always as good as the original manufacturers.

Russell

sparky961:
Thanks for the suggestions.  It seems this may be one of those "it depends who you ask" things.  I'll probably just end up going with one of the better OEM or aftermarket products.

DaveH:
I've done some.
 :beer:
DaveH

PS. sorry it turned out a bit big  :Doh: Fixed it  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version