Author Topic: Apprentice for sure! Hello all!  (Read 5963 times)

Offline ProficientBumbler

• Wichita, KS.
Apprentice for sure! Hello all!
« on: March 12, 2009, 02:28:09 AM »
Howdy everyone. Here is my story:
I am a hobbyist. I bought a welder about 8 months ago & have been evolving from wood to metal ever since. I really enjoy the art of metalworking & have a huge desire to learn & gain experience.
I have been lurking for a while now & have determined this appears to be a good site for me. There is a vast amount of knowledge & experience on here & what appears to be a pretty good bunch of fella's/ladies as well. As a newbie I like the fact that it appears if a person asks a question, even a newbie question they will get assistance & not get flamed.
I bought an Atlas 618 lathe a few weeks ago & am pretty excited about the possibilities this opens up for me as a hobbyist. It was in good shape already, but I pulled apart the carriage, tailstock, & leadscrew set up & pulled all the gears, cleaned everything up good, & oiled it all back up & it works great. I do need to replace the half nut/split nut, & will eventually, but for now a bit of pressure on the nut from a screwdriver makes it work! I have a bandaid!  :)
I will read alot, ask questions when I need assistance, & contribute when I can!
Anyhow, I have talked too long, but look forward to meeting you all & learning from you as well!
Thanks,
Brian

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
Re: Apprentice for sure! Hello all!
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 02:38:49 AM »
Welcome Brian  :wave:

Sounds Like you'll do fine her as  :worthless:  some pics of you Atlas would be good. We've got some chaps here who can point you in the right direction with that half nut fix. What else are you interested in Steam, Petrol Engines or just messing about you'll have to be carful her or you'll get   :proj:  but the important things is just have fun  :lol:.

Cheers

Stew

A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

• Wichita, KS.
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 02:53:38 AM »
Hi Stew,

Thanks for the response.

I would normally wait a bit before responding but I was still on when I saw the post about pics. I didnt post any because I wasn't sure if this was the spot.

I will go ahead & put a couple up here & if they should be somewhere else I suppose they will get moved. :D

I am really just getting into this & not sure what I am into yet. I think I would like to learn a bit of everything & see where it takes me?

Ok, here are 2 pics of my Atlas 618 after the cleaning. Sorry the pics are not very good as I was using my phone, but can take better ones later if requested.

Thanks,
Brian

Offline sbwhart

• Global Moderator
  • Smile, Be Happy, Have Fun and Rock Until you Drop
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 03:05:25 AM »
Hi Brian

Pics are fine:- nice looking lathe.

Cheers
 :beer:
Stew
A little bit of clearance never got in the road
 :wave:

bogstandard

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 03:18:16 AM »
A big welcome to you Brian. No flaming on here, but you might get a bit of a humourous reply if the post isn't going anywhere, or has been finished with.

Lovely piece of good iron you have, I have only recently replaced my 1938 Atlas 10F. it was working better when it went than when it was brand new IMHO. They mature with age and experience of the operator. You can still get all the spares for it from Clausing.

I am sure you will find everyone on here very helpful when you eventually decide the direction you want to go.

John

Offline Stilldrillin

• Global Moderator
  • Staveley, Derbyshire. England.
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 03:23:29 AM »
Welcome to the forum Brian!  :wave:

That`s a nice looking lathe.  :thumbup:

There`s always someone on here who knows the answer to your question....   :clap:

David.
David.

Still drilling holes... Sometimes, in the right place!

Still modifying bits of metal... Occasionally, making an improvement!

Online John Hill

• The Artful Bodger
  • Madmodder Committee
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2009, 04:10:19 AM »
Hi Brian and welcome.

Good to see you join us here, the lathe looks nice and I look forward to reading of your projects.
From the den of The Artful Bodger

Offline Twinsquirrel

• never rub another mans rhubarb
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2009, 04:32:57 AM »
Hey Brian,

Welcome, I'm sure we will be calling on some of your wood working knowledge before too long :dremel:

David
So many ideas, so little skill

Offline Darren

• Madmodder Committee
  • N/Wales
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2009, 05:09:43 AM »
Hi Brian,

Pull up a chair and lets have a chat...welcome.. :thumbup:
You will find it a distinct help… if you know and look as if you know what you are doing. (IRS training manual)

Offline SPiN Racing

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 06:04:33 AM »
Hey Brian Welcome!!

Nice ol gal you have there.. that is a serious piece of art/machinery there. A machine with a soul.
My lathe... not so much.. but its real young.

Cant wait to see all the things that start coming out of the shop :)

Scott
SPiN Racing

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »
Hey Brian!

1st, welcome to the collective :borg:

That Atlas is a nice looking lathe. I am sure you will be getting a lot of use out of it. Looking forward to you joining in conversation with us.

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline Bernd

• Madmodder Committee
  • 1915 C Cab
    • Kingstone Model Works
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2009, 09:57:39 AM »
Hi Brian.

I see all the early raisers have welcomed you properly. Being retired I get up late so you'll get a late welcome from me. :lol:

Our UK memebers can always beat us to the punch since they are 5 (standard time not daylight savings times) ahead of us.

From your intro it sounds like you're going to get  :proj: . And as has been said  :worthless: . ( I think we need a sign that says "is worthless without pics!")

Anyway welcome to the collective.  :borg: (you have been Assimilated )  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:  :ddb:

Regards,
Bernd
Route of the Black Diamonds

Offline Bourne Bill

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2009, 03:16:43 PM »
hello and welcome to the forum
Life is short, eat dessert first...........

• Wichita, KS.
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for the welcomes.
When I get some time the 1st thing I am going to build is a milling attachment for my lathe, which will lead me to a few other projects I want to do. I know they can be purchased but they are about $200 & I paid $250 for the lathe. I saw some ideas on this site that I thought I might be able to attempt that would make it much less expensive & more fun!

It may be a while, but I will post pics (in the appropriate area) of the project.

Thanks again & talk to you all soon!
Thanks,
Brian

Offline Divided he ad

• WARNING: LIKES SHINEY THINGS
  • The Collective
  • Between Chester, Wrexham, ruthin & Holywell :-)
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 03:58:17 AM »
Ok, So I'm so very late to this Hello it's not funny..... But,   Hi Brian   :wave:

I've not been super busy, I just haven't been looking for new posts hard enough!

Have fun building whatever you do and make sure at least a couple of photo's come our way  :thumbup: 

Take your time, this is fun not work  :ddb:

Ralph.

I know what I know and need to know more!!!