Gallery, Projects and General > Project Logs

Faceplate sanding disc.

<< < (2/3) > >>

bogstandard:
John,

This is going a bit  :offtopic: here, but you can spot them a mile off.

They only ever make tooling for their highly polished Monarchs or Hardinges', Myfords et al, and other such useless jobs that could have been done with a bit of wire and a stick, instead they take months to make something to do the job, quoting specific threads and countersink angles, surface finishes and numbers for every bit of metal they use. But never make anything useful for anything other than their own little world they live in. They think nothing of reading a 10,000 page bible, and quote everything from that, even though they have no idea about what they are on about.

As you can see, I despise people like that, they have put model engineering back many years, just by back biting and shaming newbies, to such a point that the newbie wants nothing more to do with engineering. There are times that things have to be done by the book, but it shouldn't be forced down peoples throats. There is nothing wrong at all with using your own common sense to get the job done, and most times you will succeed. As long as you and other people are safe when doing it, then stuff the book monkies and posers, and get on with it. Get your hands and machines dirty, it soon washes off.

It has been that way for thousands of years, and we are not doing too bad at it.

I had an old saying that used to be my signature.

If it looks right, feels right and runs right, then it is right.

Sorry Al, for hijacking, but now that is off my chest I feel a lot better.

John

SPiN Racing:
One little comment to back John (Bogs) with this one...

Most people on this forum make all sorts or really cool stuff. And some things that are very precise... BUT.... Looking at John's stuff, all his posts and vids since I got here... and I only remember a couple instances of being very specific about tolerences..  Repairing Darrens lathe.. ONLY in certain places were there critical tolerences.  And the tramming tool.  Everything else can be good as you are capable of. A few things have to be spot on. And they are mentioned specifically.

I think the US Army my best friend was part of in the desert a dozen years back must have known Bogs. He always had a quote.. "If it looks like ****.. but it works.. then it isnt." (I think thats the correct verbage.. gonna e-mail him and doublecheck)

John Hill:
Good comments John, I might just have a tale to tell in the smoko room but back on topic.

Dick, I think this project is one of those things that is so simple and easy to do yet the potential for its use is tremendous!  Thanks for showing it here.

DickDastardly40:
Following on, I knocked up a rest at centre height out of some ply and bolted it to the saddle:

It works quite well for my purposes so far.

Al

sbwhart:
Nice job Al

That looks like an excentrick for some sort of engine you've got there.

:worthless:

Lets see what your up to then.

Stew

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version