Author Topic: Melting iron in a larger crucible.  (Read 6563 times)

Offline ironman

Melting iron in a larger crucible.
« on: July 05, 2013, 03:15:31 AM »
Hi everyone.

A long time ago I got a larger crucible at a foundry auction. I used it to melt AL. twice and once for brass, so I decided it would be safe to use for cast iron.

The furnace used 14.09 kg, 16.65 liters  (31 lbs) of waste oil to melt 26.5 kg (58.3 lbs) of cast  iron and took 100 minutes.

I have always wondered how well a larger crucible would work in my furnace and it worked really well.

My normal crucible is a A12 and holds 14kg of iron and uses 8kg or 9.5 liters of waste oil for that melt an takes 50 minutes to melt.

Have a look at the video. 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 04:34:50 AM by dsquire »

Offline Meldonmech

Re: Melting iron in a larger crucible.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 05:10:14 AM »
Hi Ironman,
                      That is a dandy crucible trolley you have there, doing the work of two men. I must make one, it's much safer when pouring. What action are you taking regarding your sand tests?

Cheers  David

Offline Mayhem

• purveyor of mischief
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:08:31 AM »
Thanks for posting that Ironman

Offline S. Heslop

• Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:31:21 PM »
That's alotta iron.

Do you have any close-ups of that half new half old sand casting?

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 06:16:18 PM »
Great video Ironman, thank you!  :beer:

How long does it take for your wedges to cool enough to break them? Is this a test that gives results while melting, or is it something you check after the pour?

Is the wedge mold a sand mold or is it an iron mold?
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ironman

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 08:19:07 PM »
Meldonmech I will still use coal dust sand mixture for iron castings.

S. Heslop I don't have any close ups of the casting as I have machined it already.

vtsteam  You break them when you can't see them glowing red and then dip them in water so they are easier to handle. Because the iron is being poured into sand molds a sand wedge mold is being used. If the iron was being poured into iron molds then the test has to be in iron. The test can done while melting or after the pour. In past I have had trouble with the same iron, so I now how much ferrosilicon to add. One of the castings was machined on my mill/drill and was really soft to mill.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 11:46:59 PM »
I have a question regarding the making of cast iron. First I'll add that I am not looking to do iron at all maybe brass one day but not yet.
How do you get your iron for melting? surely not using ore? steel offcuts? please enlighten me. Just a thing that has been puzzling me since I saw a melt being done on a time team show once.
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 08:36:29 AM »
Pete, don't want to answer for Ironman -- just to let you know what I've found here for iron -- it seems to be everywhere as scrap. Engine blocks, a piece of some kind of rail that I thought was steel turned out to be iron, some kinds of waste pipe, farm equipment, boilers, and steam radiators. And heaven forbid, precision machinery.

It's pretty easy to break up moderate and thin section cast iron with a sledge hammer -- one way of telling if something is iron instead of steel -- like the rail I found is that it breaks with a crumbly looking surface rather than bends or dents like steel.

I'm using radiator pieces because I'm a beginner and I thought they might be easier to start with. Because radiators were originally poured in extremely thin sections, I imagine it is easier to melt and will pour more fluidly and has enough carbon to remain gray iron without additions, than thicker section iron may. I may not be saying this properly -- ironman can correct!

Ironman, thank you for your wedge answers. I will try to do that, too, when I get to melting thicker iron. I do have ferro-silicon, but haven't used it yet.

I remember something about your using thin copper magnet wire sometimes to drop additions into the melt "on a string" so to speak.

I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline ironman

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 08:50:11 PM »
Pete49

Steel can be used if it is recarburized also cast iron can be turned back into steel by removing the excess carbon.

Offline Pete49

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2013, 11:38:00 PM »
thank you both for the answers.  :mmr: When I saw the medieval  re-enactment of the smelting of iron on time team they used ore found in the region. That's what prompted me to ask. As an aside I have a lot of hematite ore near here though I think the freight may be the killer :lol:
Pete
oops..........oh no.........blast now I need to redo it