Author Topic: Dam computers  (Read 23541 times)

Rob.Wilson

Dam computers
« on: June 26, 2013, 02:36:01 PM »
Hi Lads

My lap top has kicked the bucket , lights are on but no one is home ,,,,,,,,is there some way/thing I can use to get the info off the hard drive ?   take it out and weld it to something  :zap: :lol:

Rob

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
Re: Dam computers
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »
HDD to USB adapter ????

http://cpc.farnell.com/newlink/cdlsb-800/enclosure-2-5-ide-usb2-0-hdd/dp/CS18445

I think that is what it is, long time since I used one. Or similar ...

There is a different one for older type drives , I think that one is for SATA drives only ...

Poke your HDD in it and suck off the goodies via USB  ... last did it about 8 yrs ago, so not certain now ...

Ever heard of the word  .....

B A C K U P ?????

Nope ???

Dave BC

That one does appear to be for IDE derives, the xxx 802 is for SATA  look at the .PDF ...
I have a few modest talents. Knowing what I'm doing isn't one of them.

Online philf

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 02:49:23 PM »
Hi Lads

My lap top has kicked the bucket , lights are on but no one is home ,,,,,,,,is there some way/thing I can use to get the info off the hard drive ?   take it out and weld it to something  :zap: :lol:

Rob

Hi Rob,

For not very much you can buy an enclosure to put your hard drive in and then connect it to a desktop (or other laptop) via USB. You can get PATA and SATA versions so you need to take out the hard drive and Google the part number to find out which type it is.

There are hundreds on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=2.5%22+case+USB&_sop=10&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313&_nkw=2.5%22+case+USB&_sacat=0

I have three with varying sizes of hard drive which I use for external backup devices.

Photos of the lathe would be nice - thanks. My first lathe was a Hobbymat (as was my second because the first was rubbish - the dovetail on the saddle had a 0.5mm step half way along! CZ came to my house to bring me a new one and take the offending one away.) The worst thing about it was the 1mm pitch leadscrew which got a bit tedious if you had any distance to travel.

I'll have to think of something I could swap or part-ex!

Cheers.

Phil.
Phil Fern

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 02:53:07 PM »

B A C K U P ?????

Nope ???

Dave BC

:lol: :lol: :lol: what was that Dave,,,,,,,I am deef in both eyes   :)

:thumbup: Cheers mate looks just the ticket  :ddb:

Rob

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 02:57:47 PM »
Thanks Phil  :thumbup:

I will rip the hard drive out and have a butchers , now were is my hammer .

Snap , my first lathe was a Hobbymatt , lol yes the 1mm pitch lead screw was a real pain  :bang:

Rob   

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 03:01:31 PM »

B A C K U P ?????

Nope ???

Dave BC

:lol: :lol: :lol: what was that Dave,,,,,,,I am deef in both eyes   :)

:thumbup: Cheers mate looks just the ticket  :ddb:

Rob

I'm a right bugger to talk, just backing up this brute ... last one April 14 .... although it was this year ...  :doh:

Make sure you get the right one as Phil says ... BTW CPC are free shipping at the moment IIRC

BC

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:16:48 PM »
Well that was easy ,,,,,,,,, no hammering needed

any clues  :scratch:

Rob

Offline kayz1

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 03:34:53 PM »

Offline DMIOM

• Isle of Man
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 04:12:56 PM »
....any clues  :scratch:

On your photo, just above/left of the CE is a "Serial ATA" logo - so its a SATA drive and you want to look for a SATA enclosure or adapter.

If the drive itself is dead, I don't know if its worth much effort to get the platter out of these modern drives - unlike some of the older machines where you could get a great disc of aluminium (either get rid of the magnetic coating to use the metal disc, or just varnish it).  Back in the late 70s or early 80s our operators' rest area in the Computer Lab had a coffee table, maybe 25" or 28" in diameter made from an old disc platter. In those days, indication of a disc crash was red dust on the exhaust filter!

Dave

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 04:24:18 PM »
Good point Dave

The drive could be dead  :palm: , i will order a SATA enclosure .

Thanks for the help lads  :beer:

Rob

Offline hopefuldave

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 04:38:03 PM »
There *are* pretty cheap adaptors on eBay that do SATA and IDE both, to USB - as the computer geek that gets lumbered - oops, asked nicely to sort everyone's PC's, they're really handy to have, along with an external drive to save what I can recover - but an enclosure is good if you have another pc you can plug into.
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men.

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 09:04:16 PM »
Next time, before you rip the disk out get a friend to make you a CD of Puppy Linux -- available free on the internet. Then boot off of that CD. Assuming your motherboard didn't go.

If it did, well, yes, rip the disk out.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
Oooh, snap, I've got one of those sitting on my desk, the only difference is mine is a 160GB. It too is dead.

One thing you could try is, pick the disk up by the long sides, 4 fingers on one side, thumb on the other; and then rotate it back & forth rapidly (in the plane the disk would spin) a couple of times. Then try booting again.

Sometimes, these drives suffer stiction, and just need a quick jolt to free them up. I had that problem this very weekend with my laptop.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...

Offline awemawson

• Global Moderator
  • East Sussex, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
Yep - we used to call that action "the Compaq prayer" with both hands pressed together when I was in IT support!
Andrew Mawson
East Sussex

Offline vtsteam

• Global Moderator
  • Republic of Vermont
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2013, 09:25:42 AM »
You can run Puppy linux in a laptop with a dead drive. Many people do that as their main OS for years without even bothering to replace the hard drive.

They boot off the Puppy Linux CD and use a thumb drive for data storage, or even move the Linux OS to the thumb drive as well and boot from that (if the laptop BIOS allows booting from USB.)

If the hard drive is readable, but the boot or Windows OS is messed up on it, you can just continue using the data from the HD as if it was a normal drive under Puppy Linux. It doesn't care about the old OS.

In fact it, and the application programs bundled with it, run in RAM, so once it is up and loaded, you can remove ALL disks, and still be running the OS and your programs. This also makes it lightning fast compared to XP in an older computer.

The entire OS, including word processor, spreadsheet, photo editor, browser, movie player, and about 50 other programs all loaded as a bundle of only about 100 megabytes total in size, so they fit in just about any modern memory size.
I love it when a Plan B comes together!
Steve
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDubB0-REg

Offline Brass_Machine

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2013, 03:22:29 PM »
Rob,

If you were closer I would be able to help you. As it is, if your drive is dead, I may be able to guide you through getting data off of it...

Just let me know

Eric
Science is fun.

We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:11 PM »
I usually put the drive in the freezer if its confirmed dead. Then you can create a small window for it to be working.  Until it fets to hot again and dies.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline Bluechip

• Madmodder Committee
  • Derbyshire UK
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2013, 05:37:30 AM »
..... and here is a way of recovering data from a defunct brain ...

Er .... possibly ...  :loco:

BC

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2013, 12:26:30 PM »
I THINK ,,,,,,,, my laptop is RIP ,TOAST , wile waiting for my hard drive box to come , should have been here  today  :bang: ,I tied another hard drive in the laptop ,,,,,,ZIP,FOOK ALL ,,,,,,,,not even the Toshiba boot option screen thing came up  ,BUGGER   :coffee:

So Its about time I got a new computer , Desktop ,,,,,,,,,,,,But I dont like the look of Windows 8 , anyone out there using it?

Mainly use computer for Solidworks , office , adobe and the web .

Rob

Offline doubleboost

• Madmodder Committee
  • Newcastle Upon Tyne
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2013, 12:34:53 PM »
Hi
Rob
We use 8 at work seems fine

Offline ieezitin

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »
Rob

Dont know about 8 but 7 has been in my opinion the best. it took me a little while to fathom it but now i like it.

don't go desk-top because in my opinion they are limited just to the table, i do allot of auctions and i keep all my research on my lap top it goes everywhere with me.

don't buy the latest go for an older model mine is three years old its a I3 CPU 2.40GHZ win 7 Home premium and works like a dream, i do all what you want to do, i chose the widest screen i could get, i have never regretted that at all.

Just my Tuppance worth.

Anthony.
If you cant fix it, get another hobby.

Offline Swarfing

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2013, 04:26:12 PM »
Rob before you bin it try taking the battery out, wait 10 mins and power on again just on the supply (no battery). If you don not get power straight away, hold the power button for up to 15-20s. If it lights up your problem is the battery :-) if not then you know its toast.

This is a problem for machines that get left on the power supply all the time without draining the bat. Worth a try so at least you will know.
Once in hole stop digging.

Rob.Wilson

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 06:28:26 AM »
Hi Lads

Well the hard drive is OK all data intact , Tried it with the battery out ,still no joy ,oh well at least i now have a handy 500 gig portable drive  :med:

Hi Anthony ,  I had windows 7 pro on the laptop and I liked that , I really need a desk top as I need LOTS of ram , at least 3 gig on the graphics card .

Still not sure about windows 8 ,,,,,,,,,,,  :scratch: DONT LIKE THAT METRO THING  ,,,,,,,,,,could I just get a new computer and remove the windows 8 out and install 7 ?

Rob

Offline NeoTech

• Roughedge Hobbyworks
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2013, 07:05:16 AM »
Set win8 up in classic mode and its fine. :) i prefer win7pro myself though.
Machinery: Optimum D320x920, Optimum BF20L, Aciera F3. -- I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. http://www.roughedge.se/blogg/

Offline AdeV

• Madmodder Committee
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2013, 06:10:20 PM »
Rob - you can still get computers with Win7 Pro on them. I just got a new Lenovo desktop, terabyte HD, 8-gig ram, separate VGA card - dunno what spec, all for around 400 quid.

That was from Misco.
Cheers!
Ade.
--
Occasionally: Zhengzhou, China. An even longer way from anywhere...